Historical Figures you can't stand and why?

Remove this Banner Ad

operation unthinkable and the USSRs conquest of Eastern Europe attests to Europe's insatiable appetite for war. the only reason europe tempered over time was the US's superiority.

I think the reason Europe tempered is because communism was implanted in the west under a thin veneer of capitalism

Europe has avoided war in the recent past because they were very conscious in deepening the ties that bind. That included economic ties and free movement of citizens through the EU...

Perhaps yes, but the dispossessed middle class, loss of sovereignty of state, influx of uncontrolled immigrants, loss of jobs for the local population as cheap labour floods countries from the poorer states eroding the quality of life of the homogeneous peoples...

But hey, at least we have less visa issues right...

The paparazzi may have killed her but they made her too - she's one of the most photographed women in history, and also considered one of the most beautiful. Again, I find this strange. Undoubtedly, Diana's appearance is inextricably linked to her public identity - rebellious, fashionable, compassionate, victim - very popular qualities. But the popular media has run the narrative on this - and I doubt how true this saintly portrait of her really is. Objectively, she is unique and distinctive looking, but not a stunner like Kate Middleton is. Yet, Diana is considered so much more alluring.
I always found this weird growing up, people banging on about how beautiful she was, and I would be sitting there thinking that I didn't know what was beautiful because I thought she was rather plain.

I do wonder what Diana would be doing now, who she'd be with, who she'd have re-married? But I have no doubt she would have remained embroiled in scandal. She wouldn't have walked away from the public eye. ......- she's one of the most photographed women in history, and also considered one of the most beautiful. Diana's appearance is inextricably linked to her public identity - rebellious, fashionable, compassionate, victim - very popular qualities. But the popular media has run the narrative on this - and I doubt how true this saintly portrait of her really is. Objectively, she is unique and distinctive looking, but not a stunner like Kate Middleton is. Yet, Diana is considered so much more alluring.

Had Diana survived the car crash,(don't get in a car with a D.O.A. and not wear a seatbelt.) she'd be 55 by now. Would she have influenced Will on his choice of wife? It would not have been Pippa's arse the press went wild over.

Mother Teresa internationally. Nationally it has to be Menzies. I wasn't around when Menzies was PM, but for someone who did nothing as PM, I have no idea why he was so widely lauded.
To be fair, for which I'm not famous, Menzies' legacy includes the restructure of Australia's education system, especially the establishment of A.N.U. and, more importantly, the partial fulfillment of Walter Burley Griffin's original plan for the development of Canberra. Prior to Menzies' determined intervention in the 1950s, Canberra was a virtual shanty town, and a national and international joke.

Criticism of his attachment to Britain during WW II is more solidly based. He made horrendous mistakes in spending too much time in London for months at a time, when he should have been back home. Ridiculously, he thought it possible he might have attained a cabinet position within Churchill's government by staying there.

Otherwise, his greatest achievement was to wedge the A.L.P. for 17 years with the help of the D.L.P. Tragically, this brought about probably the greatest catastrophe in Australian political history - a Whitlam government completely devoid of ministerial experience. Still, winners are grinners, especially arseholes.

Last edited:
Had Diana survived the car crash,(don't get in a car with a D.O.A. and not wear a seatbelt.) she'd be 55 by now. Would she have influenced Will on his choice of wife? It would not have been Pippa's arse the press went wild over.

There were plenty of stories floating about re her and not flattering ones. I doubt the press would have held off on them forever. It may have done for Charlies chances of becoming king though given her popularity vs Camilla's.

The Hitler's, Stalin's and Pol Pot's go without saying really. I think what this thread's really aimed towards to western historical figures, deified by the media - but if they existed outside our sphere they would be monsters - to which you can list almost every US President including and since WW2.

Monsters is probably incorrect, but courtesy of being the world's ruling empire they've been compelled to do monstrous things - Ronald Reagan being probably the worst in my mind. Destroyed unions, escalated the now well and truly failed war on drugs, deregulated the financial systems, fought against gun control (despite being shot by a deranged loony himself) - installed a series of military juntas throughout central America. But because communism in Eastern Europe fell on his watch his "tear down your wall" speech is lauded as some powerful moment of change and solidarity. Absurd figure who has achieved God-like status in conservative America - now they want ******* Trump - shows what they value.

I have mixed feeling about Princess Diana - not that any of her indiscretions are as heinous as Reagan's and other heads of state - but I cannot understand her enduring appeal. How she considered someone who defied the Royals, and in some ways she did - but she chose to enter their realm - and of course grew up in aristocracy herself. She pursued Charles, and he acquiesced because of her status and virginity and Camilla Parker Bowles lack thereof.

She obviously did do a great deal of charity and philanthropic work - but the cynic in me knows this simply carried over from her Royal duties, and inevitably it raised her own profile more than the causes she was raising awareness. I'm always wary of people who are considered "fashion icons" - it doesn't happen by accident - and the Princess was always immaculately (somewhat scantly at times) dressed. She was media savvy and used the Press to her advantage. She said it herself "I want to be the Queen of Hearts" -The inteview was Martin Bashir in the 90's - playing the victim. Laying all the blame on Charles. Amazing narcissism, when she had two boys no older than 12 who still had to see their Dad. I can't believe people bought into her chicanery. Leaving aside, of course, that she was adulterous too.

I do wonder what Diana would be doing now, who she'd be with, who she'd have re-married? But I have no doubt she would have remained embroiled in scandal. She wouldn't have walked away from the public eye. The paparazzi may have killed her but they made her too - she's one of the most photographed women in history, and also considered one of the most beautiful. Again, I find this strange. Undoubtedly, Diana's appearance is inextricably linked to her public identity - rebellious, fashionable, compassionate, victim - very popular qualities. But the popular media has run the narrative on this - and I doubt how true this saintly portrait of her really is. Objectively, she is unique and distinctive looking, but not a stunner like Kate Middleton is. Yet, Diana is considered so much more alluring.

Middleton has a much better sense of style, or her people have. Then again Diana had the misfortune to be involved in style in the eighties. some of her outfits look cartoonish now.

Europe has avoided war in the recent past because they were very conscious in deepening the ties that bind. That included economic ties and free movement of citizens through the EU...

Georgia, Yugoslavia, Ukraine.

search

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The modern Chinese leaders are far better than many of their ancient and medieval predecessors.

It's relatively unknown in the West but China had a civil war (started a fair bit earlier) at the same time as the American civil war which had a similar death toll to World War II
Try reading "Atrocitology" by Matthew White. According to it China has been the principal location for either 14 or 16 multicides (Multiple genocidal conflicts) from "The Age Of Warring States" (475-221 BCE) to Mao Tse Dung !

For me, it's Marilyn Monroe. I will never understand why girls quote or look up to her.
She's just a glorified sex symbol that had failed marriages and a drug addiction.

Anyone else?

She was a victim of arseholes, and her wish to be an actress, sad story , talk about Bill Clinton , have a look at the Monroe and Kennedy story, and the little rat Sinatra, poor old Peter Lawford, and all the filth that surrounded them , and Dino who was a non caring crooner ten times better than little Frank, and just along for the ride, no Marilyn was a victim brother , she was good looking and fell into the trap with that turd called Hollywood.

Ah "keithy george" installing military juntas throughout Central and South America is what the U S has been doing for the last hundred plus years. Reagan was just carrying on a popular U S tradition.

You're a ****** for the 'Sack Hird' sig, but I absolutely agree. His "le fight them on the beaches" speeches are so overrated and probably wasn't even written by him. Everyone credits him as the 'savior of Britain' but that's really disrespectful to all the brave men and women of Britain who fought. That's like saying Hitler came up with blitzkrieg tactics or Roosevelt invented the nuclear bomb. Politicians winning wars? Give me a spell.

He was also a tyrant who thought Australian's should basically do what they told them (gets me really triggered when another Aussie talks about how much he likes Churchill. I'm glad Curtin basically told him to get ******. At least one good thing to come out of it was it prompted Australia to get off their arse and get political independence from Britain. And it wasn't just Australian's he cucked, decided that it was far better to have thousands of his own people killed in bombing raids rather than give the impression the Nazis had been hacked. Of course winning wars is more important than saving your own people...

He was a failure as a military leader in WW1 and the reason we 'celebrate' Gallipoli. And as if that failure wasn't enough, 'the chosen ones' decided to make him secretary of war, first assignment, . Maybe wiping out annoying leprachauns will be easier than bloodthirsty turks, nope. Ireland retakes nearly 3/4 of its land after 400 years of getting dominated.

Later on after WW2 Churchill talks about how he showed great 'moral restraint' in not taking back Ireland during the WW2, but in reality he knows it would have been a disaster. There is no way the US would have joined if he had done so.

In short he was a batshit insane, born to rule rich toff who loved playing warhammer as a kid and thought playing with human lives was the same s**t.

And I'll never forget what his ancestors did to the Irish with Cromwell
SCUM

Selective reading of history. Why was Cromwell there in the first place?

Gee was he raping ,pillaging ,slaving and basically doing what the English have always done oh sorry they were Dutch with paid mercs
Then stealing and supplanting scumbags stealing homes and land
Bit like the west bank

Gee was he raping ,pillaging ,slaving and basically doing what the English have always done oh sorry they were Dutch with paid mercs
Then stealing and supplanting scumbags stealing homes and land
Bit like the west bank
17th Century... hell of a lot of raping and pillaging going on around that time, all over the globe. The Ottoman Empire alone was responsible for a hell of a lot more damage and death in the the seventeenth century than the English.
Seriously, if you want someone to hate on for killing a few people hundreds of years ago for spurious reasons, go check out the Ottoman rulers of the 17th Century. Fun times.
Ibrahim I had his harem (all of them, a couple of hundred by most accounts) drowned because he thought one of them had done the dirty.
Henry the Eighth was an amateur.

To be fair, for which I'm not famous, Menzies' legacy includes the restructure of Australia's education system, especially the establishment of A.N.U. and, more importantly, the partial fulfillment of Walter Burley Griffin's original plan for the development of Canberra. Prior to Menzies' determined intervention in the 1950s, Canberra was a virtual shanty town, and a national and international joke.

Criticism of his attachment to Britain during WW II is more solidly based. He made horrendous mistakes in spending too much time in London for months at a time, when he should have been back home. Ridiculously, he thought it possible he might have attained a cabinet position within Churchill's government by staying there.

Otherwise, his greatest achievement was to wedge the A.L.P. for 17 years with the help of the D.L.P. Tragically, this brought about probably the greatest catastrophe in Australian political history - a Whitlam government completely devoid of ministerial experience. Still, winners are grinners, especially arseholes.

To be fair
We should mention
His solution to the japanese invasin (give em qld Northern Territory and wa )
His refusal to develop industry and our natural resources and lack of foresight ( sheeps back)
His white australia policy
Hey lucky labour had balls to stand up to the English toad

I can't stand Ghandi.

Not a fan of pacifist bludgers who sit around in their sheets all day; knitting and collecting salt. The hypocrite preached celibacy and the evils of sex, yet liked to sleep naked next to his great niece.

The man was a lawyer nuff said.

I can't stand Ghandi.

Not a fan of pacifist bludgers who sit around in their sheets all day; knitting and collecting salt. The hypocrite preached celibacy and the evils of sex, yet liked to sleep naked next to his great niece.

The man was a lawyer nuff said.

The bloke brought both liberation & independence to an entire nation through peaceable means, single-handedly....And yet, you want want to bitch & moan about him getting a bit of tottie on the side.....FMD.:rolleyes:

And you don't get to be a highly educated lawyer through the British Empire by being a bludger either.

India now produces more PhD students world-wide than any other country.

The bloke brought both liberation & independence to an entire nation through peaceable means, single-handedly....And yet, you want want to bitch & moan about him getting a bit of tottie on the side.....FMD.:rolleyes:

And you don't get to be a highly educated lawyer through the British Empire by being a bludger either.

India now produces more PhD students world-wide than any other country.
And over 1000 honour killings a year.

India remains one of the most sexually repressed nations on the planet.

Reports from sources such as his personal secretary, who quit in protest over the issue, tell how he nightly requested his 17-year-old grandniece Abha and his 18-year-old grandniece Manu to sleep with him — simultaneously and naked — nightly. The story is a tragic one of psychological and physical molestation perpetrated against vulnerable young girls with no option for escape.

So in your view, a bit incest or what you called 'tottie on the side' is a small price to pay for free salt?

Great legacy.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back