Draft Profile Darcy Cameron

Remove this Banner Ad

watched him up close at a few games and he has excellent leading patterns for a forward, wouldve had more goals if maister didnt keep jumping into him during marking attempts. freo would most likely take him as a rookie at worst but should pull the trigger in the main draft to avoid another adams miss
i wouldnt mind him at west coast tbh. Giles is a spud and it showed when mcinnis came in for him two weeks back. Cameron can be another sinclair type for us.

watched him up close at a few games and he has excellent leading patterns for a forward, wouldve had more goals if maister didnt keep jumping into him during marking attempts. freo would most likely take him as a rookie at worst but should pull the trigger in the main draft to avoid another adams miss

Yeah I'd have no issues with picking him in the main draft.
Clarke and Hannath are done for at Freo.
We need a ruck/forward desperately, and I get the feeling that Cameron may improve quickly under AFL training systems

DARCY CAMERON
When it comes to mature-aged WAFL prospects this season, Cameron is at the head of the list. Touted as a draft prospect back in 2013, when he trained with Essendon in the lead-up to the rookie draft, Cameron has been steadily building at Claremont to the point where he is now right back on the radar of AFL scouts.
At 204cm and 104kg, the ruckman has gone forward this season and used his size to become one of the competition’s most reliable marking targets. His 16 goals in six games have given him an early share of the lead in the race for the Bernie Naylor Medal as WAFL leading goal-kicker. And his accuracy is impressive as well, having racked up only four behinds. Cameron’s also averaging seven marks, 12 disposals and 10 hit-outs in what has the makings of a breakout season for the 20-year-old. One to watch

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/31530642/afl-draft-watch-april/

A couple of seasons out of underage footy should make him more valuable.

Last edited:

With Nic Nat out for a year he may well be looked at by West Coast
Not impossible. WC have tended to go for more mobile rucks, rather than a forward-ruckman (what Cameron has tried to be this year), but that cold change. Depends on how well Lycett handles the #1 job and for how much of a game.

I guess the other imponderable is just why cubs didn't go for him before. I have heard and read a number of things, none of which goes well with his efforts this year. I am not saying they were right or wrong: I don't know the guy personally, but if it is off field stuff, lack of application or lack of athleticism, Cameron appears to have addressed it.
This will be an interesting draft period.

How has Cameron gone since May?
No idea except what I read on BF . I have heard his name mentioned as a possible draft pick in the past but thinking we are well stocked for Rucks didnt pay much heed . Lycett has been injury prone so now I am like you looking at other options whilst nic is out.

Surely there were other issues regarding cameron than his ability or athleticism.
Darcy Cameron

This was from his draft year. Its pretty close description to the type of ruckmen most clubs want. Hopefully the eagles push hard for him.
Club: Claremont / North Albany

School: Hale

D.O.B: 18.7.95

Height: 203

Weight: 102

Mobile ruckman with the ability to distribute effectively by both hand and foot. An agile player that provides a very good marking target around the ground and is capable both in the air and at ground level. Averaged 11 disposals and 19 hit-outs at the NAB AFL U/18 Championships.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back