Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2016 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts on Tom Gorter KM? I don't watch a lot of WAFL but i have seen a few games of East Perth this year and he has impressed me a bit.

Hope you don't mind KM but I'm not sure how you are really meant to comment on WAFL players . Kids that have gone thru Academy , age groups I can understand to a limited degree but not beyond that . What or any coverage do you get in Victoria, there is very little here in WA .

So Knightmare, that Pick 1 eh...

Pick 1 goes to Essendon.

Thoughts on Tom Gorter KM? I don't watch a lot of WAFL but i have seen a few games of East Perth this year and he has impressed me a bit.

Gorter seems like a solid piece down back and able role player from what I've seen - without necessarily feeling like an AFL talent. There are other better state league defenders who are more established that I favour if looking for a state league general defender.

i know you mentioned a while ago that you thought the bombers would take Brodie with pick 1. do you still think that is the case and was that just your gut feel or you heard something?

interested because i really want us to get McCluggage.

Brodie is my guess at this stage until I hear some more concrete mail after trade week.

Still early days.

Essendon may for all we know offer pick 1 as part of a deal for O'Meara or someone else.

i know you mentioned a while ago that you thought the bombers would take Brodie with pick 1. do you still think that is the case and was that just your gut feel or you heard something?

interested because i really want us to get McCluggage.
Brodie definitely fits our list better because we really need inside mids. The question I'm guessing Dodoro will have to ask is whether the difference in quality between Brodie and the inside mids available at our second round pick/s is enough to justify selecting Brodie over McLuggage (who seems likely to be higher on everyone's draft board)

Brodie definitely fits our list better because we really need inside mids. The question I'm guessing Dodoro will have to ask is whether the difference in quality between Brodie and the inside mids available at our second round pick/s is enough to justify selecting Brodie over McLuggage (who seems likely to be higher on everyone's draft board)
yep, could be similar to last year for us ie. had pick 2 but ended up with who we wanted anyway.

if you take McCluggae i would be quite happy with anyone of Brodie, SPS, Ainsworth or McGrath. those 4 are pretty even IMO and not far behind McCluggage if at all. very even draft this year.

Hey km hinkley has said we are going to hit the draft hard for ready made players. Who do you think is best to play and impact first year at our pick?

We have moved schulz on, butcher probably gone, howard acl for 2017 leaving our kpf stocks light on. Probably wont get a big name unless we somehow trade a late pick for a dawes, vickery or Cloke type. I wouldnt think marshall, english or battle would fit the bill as a first year impact player ken is seeking as theyre all understandably light on except for battle though talented. A lot like hipwood this year.

Honestly I think Essendon are cooling on Brodie for McCluggage, McGrath or Ainsworth.
McCluggage would be favourite I would think, pretty sure Dodoro watched his game when he had 26 possessions and kicked 4 goals with 8 tackles and was also seen watching Ainsworth a week later when he killed it.
I also know Keane had McGrath top 3 after the champs.

I can't mount a case for Brodie at this stage, seems to have fallen a bit, his 2 games against the VFL teams are the only thing holding him a slim chance, probably why they wanted to see him at VFL level again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly don't see where Brodie would fit in our plans for next season with Beams likey to join Rocky Zorko and Robinson as our inside mids next season which would mean he falls to probably Carlton at the worst Leppa was talking about what we needed at probably he's last press conference and mentioned outside run meaning one of McCluggage SPS or McGrath would be in he's plans of course this could all change depending who the coach is but would think this would have come from Schwab and Conole

Honestly I think Essendon are cooling on Brodie for McCluggage, McGrath or Ainsworth.
McCluggage would be favourite I would think, pretty sure Dodoro watched his game when he had 26 possessions and kicked 4 goals with 8 tackles and was also seen watching Ainsworth a week later when he killed it.
I also know Keane had McGrath top 3 after the champs.

I can't mount a case for Brodie at this stage, seems to have fallen a bit, his 2 games against the VFL teams are the only thing holding him a slim chance, probably why they wanted to see him at VFL level again.
Both Keane and Dodoro where at the Sandringham game couple of weeks ago and McGrath dominated so he could well and truly be in the mix for pick 1

I honestly don't see where Brodie would fit in our plans for next season with Beams likey to join Rocky Zorko and Robinson as our inside mids next season which would mean he falls to probably Carlton at the worst Leppa was talking about what we needed at probably he's last press conference and mentioned outside run meaning one of McCluggage SPS or McGrath would be in he's plans of course this could all change depending who the coach is but would think this would have come from Schwab and Conole

You would have room for Brodie of course. Absolutely

If you rated another guy just as highly and thought you needed their skillsets more sure you might pick them, but you wouldn't pass on Brodie because you think you are overstocked in the centre.

Yeah I'm with the McCluggage camp.
All good and well to go the bigger inside mid, but goalkicking mids are like gold and McCluggage covers that base and more. Given a few preseasons and some added bulk reckon he will develop a harder edge and an improved contested game (thats not saying his inside game is not solid).
If they then want a contested mid could look at his North Ballarat teammate Willem Drew.

All good and well to go the bigger inside mid, but goalkicking mids are like gold and McCluggage covers that base and more. Given a few preseasons and some added bulk reckon he will develop a harder edge and an improved contested game (thats not saying his inside game is not solid).
If they then want a contested mid could look at his North Ballarat teammate Willem Drew.
Drew and mcluggage would be a killer draft if you picked those two up. I think Drew is very underrated and has a good scope for improvement

Do you see Kade Answerth getting drafted/rookied?

Has been consistently good for Sandringham this year

Yesterday Leppa stated speed being a must in the draft. Of the top picks (McCluggage, Ainsworth, SPS and McGrath) who would cover the ground quite well and then outside of that those that should be around the second round mark? On a side note how does Drew cover the ground and is he purely an inside mid? Cheers

There are plenty of inside mids who should be available around the second round.

It's a draft stacked with them.

Dylan Clarke, Jack Graham, Willem Drew among others could be there.

A couple of players that impressed me on Saturday Jamison Shea(Northern) and Nick Giarrizzo(Western Jets) what do you think of them and could they be smokeys for a late pick?

Both played good games for their respective clubs but neither received state or national combine invites so they're likely both overlooked by clubs.

That's the combo I'd be recommending to Essendon if those picks are retained.

McCluggage and Drew. The two North Ballarat Rebels boys. Two terrific pieces to build with.

Yesterday Leppa stated speed being a must in the draft. Of the top picks (McCluggage, Ainsworth, SPS and McGrath) who would cover the ground quite well and then outside of that those that should be around the second round mark? On a side note how does Drew cover the ground and is he purely an inside mid? Cheers

All those top guys move well. Brodie has excellent endurance and good speed. McCluggage has good speed/endurance. Ainsworth is more a power/speed runner but work rate pretty good, but he is more a rotational mid. SPS has the acceleration but probably not the endurance. McGrath definitely has the acceleration and probably good endurance.

Do you see Kade Answerth getting drafted/rookied?

Has been consistently good for Sandringham this year

Unlikely to get drafted (rookie if he is) - another to miss out on a state combine invite, so interest is minimal.

Hey Knightmare.

Will this year's picks be read out by recruiters with their No and clubs of origin?

Also, will there be long pauses between picks?

Are you in the know?

Not a part of the draft I follow. I'm sure someone else will have the answer for you.

Lots of fans love the "player number xxxxxx" stuff.

I'm not fussed either way.

I'm all about the practical results.

Hey Knightmare.

Will this year's picks be read out by recruiters with their No and clubs of origin?

Also, will there be long pauses between picks?

Are you in the know?
Yes most likely they want to follow the USA model of draft. But I would love a legand of that club call out their clubs first draft rather than the coach pause's mainly happen when an Academy or Father/son bid is put in place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back