Hawthorn v Collingwood - Rd 23, 2016 - Sun@3:20

Who will win? Hawthorn or Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

No doubt based on your circumstances, you've done very well this year but ultimately, it's about winning the flag. 17 teams will end up achieving the same thing as each other come October.

Will just have to console myself with re-runs should we miss the big dance.

What does that even mean? Dees smashed your rabble twice this year (and had no problems dealing with Hawthorn last time we met at the G).

Anyway, enjoy the loss.
Not that hard to comprehend.
Yes your team did beat us twice this year, that only further demonstrates how pathetic your team ended its season.
111 point loss to the Cats, with a full squad, Roos last game as coach - no effort, no pride, no respect - but hey they still get paid.
Same old Melbourne. Quite sad really.
(To quote you: "Dees are going to cream Geelong, bookmark it.")

Proud of the Pies today, played hard, missing a few players but still competitive.

Last edited:

Not that hard to comprehend.
I dunno man, I mean it's a Collingwood/Hawthorn gameday thread and you're talking about Melbourne. What is the point of your comment, why did you think it is relevant, and why are you stalking me in so many threads?

Yes your team did beat us twice this season
Beat the reigning premiers too. 10 wins all up. 4 RS Noms to our juniors with Jayden Hunt very unlucky. It was a really good season over all, thank you.

111 point loss to the Cats, with a full squad, Roos last game as coach - no effort, no pride, no respect - but hey they still get paid.
Same old Melbourne.
Nice summary. We sucked. Your mob wouldn't have fared much better fwiw. But that was yesterday, and there's another thread for that conversation.

Now I'm sorry if you're lonely but I'd prefer if you left me alone now, thanks sweetie. :kissingheart:

(To quote you: "Dees are going to cream Geelong, bookmark it.")
Eeeek! I missed your edit, and just realised you're now pulling quotes from other threads into this one! Very nice to see that I mean that much to you, but I'm finding it a little creepy now.

No more stalking please, if you don't like my posts just put me on ignore.

we'd know a thing or 2 about winning Flags i would suggest….7 of them since 1987….your mob Pies have won 4 in the last 80 years since 1936
Will just have to console myself with re-runs should we miss the big dance.
This going to be the standard response back? It'll get old very quickly. It's already getting old quickly amongst friends.

If you can't respond back about things relating to 2016, I'll assume you're assuming defeat.

As I said, you guys will end up with as much as Collingwood, St Kilda, Richmond and Essendon this season because the bigger fish will do better than a team in 12th did.

This going to be the standard response back? It'll get old very quickly. It's already getting old quickly amongst friends.

If you can't respond back about things relating to 2016, I'll assume you're assuming defeat.

As I said, you guys will end up with as much as Collingwood, St Kilda, Richmond and Essendon this season because the bigger fish will do better than a team in 12th did.

I initially made a response - while you agreed with the basis of it, it also wasn't what you wanted to hear. Every team plays for premierships but to say you don't get anything out of a season if you don't win it is ridiculous. It's easy for me to be upbeat about it all and see the positives, I've been very privileged to be able to watch and enjoy seeing this Hawks team win premierships. If it all comes to an end in a few weeks, I'm certainly going to be disappointed but looking at Sydney and the cats and their renewed success, then a mini rebuild won't keep them down for long - hopefully.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought it was a great game to watch (albeit with the most shithouse ending of all time). It summed up the two teams' seasons pretty well.

Hawthorn have found a way to win the close ones all year and show composure when they get their opportunities. They make teams pay for mistakes.

Our run and pressure were very good, we just had individual lapses / skill errors that proved costly, like against the Dogs twice this year, for example.

Heartening that we took it up to the Hawks physically like last year (as opposed to 2012 - 2014), at least they knew they were in a game.

We're an honest team, hard to gauge in terms of talent to really push further (bearing in mind sides like Melbourne, St Kilda etc. look to be on the up).

Big Fitzy was good in the interview after the game. Think he got asked if it was the best win he'd been involved in and he said it was only his third win.

Apparently he grew up a Hawks supporter (?), not a bad story line to kick a big goal in a big stakes game for them, if so. Seems a likeable bloke.

On the umpiring, there were some that I thought went against us. I know I was pretty crook in the moment when Cyril got away with clearly legging Howe.
But there were some that went our way, too. Like Treloar, I think it was, fending off one tackler then getting tackled again and handballing forward just after he had been taken to ground without being called for HTB - it led to a goal from memory. Or maybe the unrealistic fly near the end.

Reading this thread is quite entertaining.

1. Whoever this Dr Phil who raised the confirmation bias might need a little education in history (Education in psychology could also assist). Widely accepted that Collingwood is the team others loves to hate (for whatever clever reason one might come up) the confirmation bias runs deeper and is been around for far longer... Seriously flawed argument. The Hawks have had a great run, but if bias is there, it runs deeper and takes longer to develop than a freekickhawthorn hashtag can create.

2. The game had some shockers, some incidents come to mind:

Hawks
- Sicily likely deserved a free for being held although the image one poster shared seems to show rioli holding a pies player.
- Treloar likely threw the ball (these happen 10 times a game from each team and are called based on umpires position more often than not) that led to a pies goal.
- Greenwood's fly on fitzpatrick, that's a free.

Pies:
- The shepherding of the mark. SERIOUSLY, how did this become part of football? Holding Treloar and Sidey clear free kicks
- Rioli tripped howe. Watch the replay if you want the evidence.
- Hartung holding the ball x2
- Whitecross HTB in the goal square
- Rioli marking interference as per greenwood
- Breust has ball, takes on player, swung, kick, misses ball, clear HTB.
- Lewis's duck and drive into the pies legs... really.
- Rioli's free kick for slapping the ball out of smith's hands. pretty sure that's play on.
- .... and it goes on.

3. Anyone who mentions free kick count is a moron. It's not the quantity but the quality.

4. Hawks are the best coached side in the comp. Unfortunately that includes best coached side at not giving away free kicks when they're there, or earning one where they're not. Clarkson shepherding the man on the mark has found its way to a few of his deputies clubs as well. A stain on the game.

5. The closing argument, the thing about free kicks to the hawks, they make you pay more than any other side. A dodgy free kick leads to a goal more often than not and that's where the 'everyone' else is probably feeling the hurt more

Supplementary
- Who runs under a banner saying Ruthless and just manages to scrape past by one point?
- Hawks performance under adversity is played up by the media. Swan, Elliot, Faz, Moore > Roughead who is an out an out legend and your only significant out. Please don't mention Stratton, Schoe or McEvoy.. average at best.

Reading this thread is quite entertaining.

1. Whoever this Dr Phil who raised the confirmation bias might need a little education in history (Education in psychology could also assist). Widely accepted that Collingwood is the team others loves to hate (for whatever clever reason one might come up) the confirmation bias runs deeper and is been around for far longer... Seriously flawed argument. The Hawks have had a great run, but if bias is there, it runs deeper and takes longer to develop than a freekickhawthorn hashtag can create.

2. The game had some shockers, some incidents come to mind:

Hawks
- Sicily likely deserved a free for being held although the image one poster shared seems to show rioli holding a pies player.
- Treloar likely threw the ball (these happen 10 times a game from each team and are called based on umpires position more often than not) that led to a pies goal.
- Greenwood's fly on fitzpatrick, that's a free.

Pies:
- The shepherding of the mark. SERIOUSLY, how did this become part of football? Holding Treloar and Sidey clear free kicks
- Rioli tripped howe. Watch the replay if you want the evidence.
- Hartung holding the ball x2
- Whitecross HTB in the goal square
- Rioli marking interference as per greenwood
- Breust has ball, takes on player, swung, kick, misses ball, clear HTB.
- Lewis's duck and drive into the pies legs... really.
- Rioli's free kick for slapping the ball out of smith's hands. pretty sure that's play on.
- .... and it goes on.

3. Anyone who mentions free kick count is a moron. It's not the quantity but the quality.

4. Hawks are the best coached side in the comp. Unfortunately that includes best coached side at not giving away free kicks when they're there, or earning one where they're not. Clarkson shepherding the man on the mark has found its way to a few of his deputies clubs as well. A stain on the game.

5. The closing argument, the thing about free kicks to the hawks, they make you pay more than any other side. A dodgy free kick leads to a goal more often than not and that's where the 'everyone' else is probably feeling the hurt more

Supplementary
- Who runs under a banner saying Ruthless and just manages to scrape past by one point?
- Hawks performance under adversity is played up by the media. Swan, Elliot, Faz, Moore > Roughead who is an out an out legend and your only significant out. Please don't mention Stratton, Schoe or McEvoy.. average at best.
Just watched the game again and umpires do not have a big impact. Probably the most obvious missed free was when Hawks missed one for the Greenwood fly. Other one that was rough was Riolis tackle on Smith, tough interpretation but there just the same.

All this waxing lyrical about the umpires misses the real reason we lost. It's the same reason we always lose to Hawthorn, our poor foot skills leading to elementary turnovers which leave the Hawks open with multiple options is just not an advantage you can give to them.

The fact that this was a better effort than most of the last 10 or so games against the Hawks probably represents more the Hawks coming back to the field a bit rather than any significant improvement in us. They have had a number of close games against lesser sides this year, this really was just another.

Just watched the game again and umpires do not have a big impact. Probably the most obvious missed free was when Hawks missed one for the Greenwood fly. Other one that was rough was Riolis tackle on Smith, tough interpretation but there just the same.

All this waxing lyrical about the umpires misses the real reason we lost. It's the same reason we always lose to Hawthorn, our poor foot skills leading to elementary turnovers which leave the Hawks open with multiple options is just not an advantage you can give to them.

The fact that this was a better effort than most of the last 10 or so games against the Hawks probably represents more the Hawks coming back to the field a bit rather than any significant improvement in us. They have had a number of close games against lesser sides this year, this really was just another.

Poor foot skills ensured we didn't win the game by 5 goals, think you should watch the game again to judge the umpiring (riolis trip is there, as are the shepherd-holds)

I would also suggest that clarkson is better at exposing the judgement element in the rules (prior opportunity, ducking) than most with Sicily, pup, rioli being quite advanced at drawing free kicks compared to others. Finding a way to win includes drawing a free or not giving away one

Poor foot skills ensured we didn't win the game by 5 goals, think you should watch the game again to judge the umpiring (riolis trip is there, as are the shepherd-holds)
I did watch it again last night and concentrated on the umpiring. I wouldn't have paid that against Rioli nor the shepherding ones. They would have been pretty soft. Supporters generally have little balance when it comes to judging umpiring and our own clubs. As usual I am seeing Collingwood supporters claiming the umps robbed us and Hawk supporters claiming something similar.

I did watch it again last night and concentrated on the umpiring. I wouldn't have paid that against Rioli nor the shepherding ones. They would have been pretty soft. Supporters generally have little balance when it comes to judging umpiring and our own clubs. As usual I am seeing Collingwood supporters claiming the umps robbed us and Hawk supporters claiming something similar.

Yeah i was suggesting a 2nd rewatch haha... fair enough. Sure, there is the usual complaining from both sides, and then there's some 'trending' belief that the hawks are favored. I would suggest the truth lies somewhere in the middle... and as I have proposed earlier, it's due to the fact they are a brilliantly coached side and like their coach (a cunning bugger), they know how to make the most of every situation AND then make the opposition pay due to their excellent skills. To suggest otherwise almost belittles the greatness of his talent and "cunning'ness".

You wouldn't have paid the shepherding one's? legal to interfere with the man on the mark? Irrespective of whether you see that the cases mentioned as legitimate or not, I disagree that such should be allowed in the game. Seems contrary to the game, the idea of a player creeping up behind another who is keeping the mark seems a little dodge to me. The umpires have been policing that a little more telling the players to move away and let the man on the mark do his job... that didn't happen on a number of occasions on the weekend. I would wager that Clarko knows players can get away with it and hasn't changed his instruction.

Similar clubs employ such tactics that push the envelope. Geelong often brings the opposition marker to ground if they get to the mark within reasonable time. It looks close enough to a legitimate attempt but happens with regularity. It's actually quite a brilliant tactic, umpires aren't going to call 50 unless it's crystal clear and over the top, so they get away with it and slow the game up.

The game is greatly influenced by umpires, to suggest otherwise is, in my opinion, naive. Subjective calls and their impact are on the up. the game is quicker, the concept of prior opportunity becomes more important, and the impact of calls (whoever is officiating on the day) becomes greater, especially for a side that is a pressure side when compared to a side that is a outside slick side (no sides come to mind when writing this). The deliberate rule has added to this subjectivity. Now the ducking and head drive has complicated that even further... Must be a hell of a job for the umpires to officiate, however the boffins in charge should do their best to remove subjectivity instead of add to it. I could go on about the better/clearer vision of televised games and it's impact on supporter happiness (much easier to pass our own judgement when watching a 60 inch LED TV compared to a 40cm) but it'd be more rambling... I'll spare you haha.

Yeah i was suggesting a 2nd rewatch haha... fair enough. Sure, there is the usual complaining from both sides, and then there's some 'trending' belief that the hawks are favored. I would suggest the truth lies somewhere in the middle... and as I have proposed earlier, it's due to the fact they are a brilliantly coached side and like their coach (a cunning bugger), they know how to make the most of every situation AND then make the opposition pay due to their excellent skills. To suggest otherwise almost belittles the greatness of his talent and "cunning'ness".

You wouldn't have paid the shepherding one's? legal to interfere with the man on the mark? Irrespective of whether you see that the cases mentioned as legitimate or not, I disagree that such should be allowed in the game. Seems contrary to the game, the idea of a player creeping up behind another who is keeping the mark seems a little dodge to me. The umpires have been policing that a little more telling the players to move away and let the man on the mark do his job... that didn't happen on a number of occasions on the weekend. I would wager that Clarko knows players can get away with it and hasn't changed his instruction.

Similar clubs employ such tactics that push the envelope. Geelong often brings the opposition marker to ground if they get to the mark within reasonable time. It looks close enough to a legitimate attempt but happens with regularity. It's actually quite a brilliant tactic, umpires aren't going to call 50 unless it's crystal clear and over the top, so they get away with it and slow the game up.

The game is greatly influenced by umpires, to suggest otherwise is, in my opinion, naive. Subjective calls and their impact are on the up. the game is quicker, the concept of prior opportunity becomes more important, and the impact of calls (whoever is officiating on the day) becomes greater, especially for a side that is a pressure side when compared to a side that is a outside slick side (no sides come to mind when writing this). The deliberate rule has added to this subjectivity. Now the ducking and head drive has complicated that even further... Must be a hell of a job for the umpires to officiate, however the boffins in charge should do their best to remove subjectivity instead of add to it. I could go on about the better/clearer vision of televised games and it's impact on supporter happiness (much easier to pass our own judgement when watching a 60 inch LED TV compared to a 40cm) but it'd be more rambling... I'll spare you haha.
I vehemently disagree with this statement. If you are cowing down to the umpires deciding games then you haven't noticed the number of mistakes your own players have made in not winning it in the time. Players will always make more mistakes than the umpires. So they will have more say in who wins and loses otherwise why play at all? Why bother when the umpires greatly influence results

I vehemently disagree with this statement. If you are cowing down to the umpires deciding games then you haven't noticed the number of mistakes your own players have made in not winning it in the time. Players will always make more mistakes than the umpires. So they will have more say in who wins and loses otherwise why play at all? Why bother when the umpires greatly influence results

And I vehemently suggest saying greatly doesn't indicate players have a greater or lesser impact... There was no relative suggestion there champ.

And I vehemently suggest saying greatly doesn't indicate players have a greater or lesser impact... There was no relative suggestion there champ.
Ahh ok so the umpires greatly affect a game of football. So much so that it makes Collingwood lose more games than they win gotcha. Seriously "greatly affect". Its loser mentality and loser talk

Back