Recruiting News for 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Horsham & Stawell can't win it l don't reckon. Really interesting series coming up though. Burra's & Saints have totally different teams. Burra's are full of tall's where as the Saints rely on their speed & ball use.

Saints by 12 points
Demons by 24 points

Horsham & Stawell can't win it l don't reckon. Really interesting series coming up though. Burra's & Saints have totally different teams. Burra's are full of tall's where as the Saints rely on their speed & ball use.
Could that come down to conditions on the day? If it's a bit wet that might make a difference. How was the weather both times Saints beat Minyip?

Also, I agree that Nhill probably didn't deserve to make it in the end, letting too many games slip like Dimmy, Horsham (by a point) and Stawell (and obviously the draw with Warrack). I think the Tigers lost five or so games by less than 14 points. But it is very unfortunate that these suspensions have come too late for them, as I think Nhill possibly could have shaken things up a bit in the top five whereas I'm not sure Warrack will do the same (especially now without their coach).

I hate bashing umpires but listening to the Toohey Medal on Monday night. Rd 3 Horsham Saints v Warracknabeal. Saints win by 4 - 5 goals and Eagles players get 3, 2 & 1 votes. Has that ever happened in a losing side before?

I hate bashing umpires but listening to the Toohey Medal on Monday night. Rd 3 Horsham Saints v Warracknabeal. Saints win by 4 - 5 goals and Eagles players get 3, 2 & 1 votes. Has that ever happened in a losing side before?
Ludacris!! But it explains why I didn't get any votes.
Also just thought I heard Loui Dalziel is coaching the Wimmera league next year and Deek Roberts is assistant ? Is this right or did I mis hear something?

Yeah, Horsham have announced their coaches for 2017. Always good to get in early. That's a few clubs that have been very proactive. Any reason for the change at the Demons?

And of course the big one is this week - thoughts on the match? Will Saints get over MM again or can the Burras take the title? I'm not sure who I'm going for there.

In the Twos I think I'd like to see MM get over Stawell as they were close last year - but it won't be an easy match. Two very, VERY handy reserve sides.

Who is everyone tipping this Saturday? Looking from afar it seems MM has injuries to key players. What's news on Damien Cameron? Will he be right this week and when did he last play? Should be an interesting granny this week!

Yeah, Horsham have announced their coaches for 2017. Always good to get in early. That's a few clubs that have been very proactive. Any reason for the change at the Demons?

And of course the big one is this week - thoughts on the match? Will Saints get over MM again or can the Burras take the title? I'm not sure who I'm going for there.

In the Twos I think I'd like to see MM get over Stawell as they were close last year - but it won't be an easy match. Two very, VERY handy reserve sides.

Going for the underdogs in the burras. Premiership hangover in round 1 aside.. Saints style of play does seem to bamboozle the burras coaching staff a bit however If theres anyone who knows how to choke and lose a gf its saints. They may have lost 7 of 8 or 8 of 9 gf's since joining maybe even more and plus i think it would be good for the league if a little old country club from outside the higher populated city of horsham won it!

As for the reserves/b grade who even cares! Its a cross between comedy and a meaningless sideshow of mediocre footballers and has beens. Ill be reloading at the bar getting ready for the real game to start. Go burras!!

As for the reserves/b grade who even cares! Its a cross between comedy and a meaningless sideshow of mediocre footballers and has beens. Ill be reloading at the bar getting ready for the real game to start. Go burras!!

I think you'd find that the 2 reserve teams playing in the grand final tomorrow would if not beat, strongly challenge Ararat an Dimmy senior teams this year. I watched both these teams play in Stawell and the standard was high/a cracking contest!

As for seniors, should be a ripping game. I think it comes down to whether the key Burra talls can stand up (Delahunty, McGrath & Coleman). If they are catching the footy then this will make it extremely hard for the saints smaller guys (Clyne & O'Beirne etc..) to get into the game. I'm tipping Burras by 9 points!! Can't wait for the game!

Going for the underdogs in the burras. Premiership hangover in round 1 aside.. Saints style of play does seem to bamboozle the burras coaching staff a bit however If theres anyone who knows how to choke and lose a gf its saints. They may have lost 7 of 8 or 8 of 9 gf's since joining maybe even more and plus i think it would be good for the league if a little old country club from outside the higher populated city of horsham won it!

The Saints have got the monkey off their back last year and now they know how to win the big one. The side tommorow is different to the one that played in the last losing grannys. It's good not seeing the Demons there, as u want someone different there, instead of the same one all the time. i'd say Saints just, because they are fresher and healthier their playing roster.

I think you'd find that the 2 reserve teams playing in the grand final tomorrow would if not beat, strongly challenge Ararat an Dimmy senior teams this year. I watched both these teams play in Stawell and the standard was high/a cracking contest!
Yeah, can't argue with that. Playing against these two sides at their best during the year was almost like watching a clinic at times. They're both twos sides that could give senior teams a run for their money and could probably be playing next Saturday in the HDFL granny without too much trouble.

The granny sound like it was a ripper, even though the conditions were tough. Saints by 2 points! I didn't know who to go for, as I was in 2 minds. Horsham Saints have had 2 many heartbreaking losses, so it was good to see them get some gf wins back. On the other hand, it would be nice to see a small town or 2 that havn't won 1 for a while, win as well. Very interesting granny, as u don't want the same team there every year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a Grand Final! Horsham Saints first ever back to back premierships. A lot was said early in the year about a mass exodus of players. The 2016 premiership team had 6 different players from the year before. 4 players came in from the 2015 Saints reserves premiership team, Ben Martin, Andy Deveroux, Bowen Friend and Joel Richards and 2 of those were a couple of years out of U17's being Martin & Richards. Ally Byrne was a returning player having had a couple of years out of footy and Angus Gove is a young U17 player.

It is a great story for the Saints - I'll be honest, after they lost a number of premiership players from last year I didn't think they'd be top three. Kudos to them as a club and a playing group for getting it all together in 2016. I wonder if those who went elsewhere might have a tinge of regret.

I do feel a bit sorry for the MM guys though. They knew what they wanted from the start of the season, in both grades, and came agonisingly close but couldn't quite get there. Especially for their Twos side, who now have back to back defeats. Football can be a tough mistress at times.

What a Grand Final! Horsham Saints first ever back to back premierships. A lot was said early in the year about a mass exodus of players. The 2016 premiership team had 6 different players from the year before. 4 players came in from the 2015 Saints reserves premiership team, Ben Martin, Andy Deveroux, Bowen Friend and Joel Richards and 2 of those were a couple of years out of U17's being Martin & Richards. Ally Byrne was a returning player having had a couple of years out of footy and Angus Gove is a young U17 player.
That is a brilliant effort by the Saints.

2017 Coaching appointments. 5 Clubs have signed coaches but I'm not sure about Stawell, Ararat or Dimbola

Saints: Shayne Breuer out, Luke Fischer in
Burras: Jaye Macumber out, Damian Cameron appointed
Stawell: Brad Thomas returning as a player only, Thomas Eckel to coach???
Demons: Pekin gone, Hartigan to stay on as a player, Louie Dalziel and Deek Roberts in
Eagles: Ryan McKenzie reappointed
Rats: David Hosking reappointed??? Or looking
Nhill: Alan Bennett reappointed
Dimboola: Hamish Excell gone or staying? Or are they still looking?

Might be time for this to split off into a 2017 thread?

Did I read rightly in the HDFL thread that Excell is to coach Kalkee? Is that actually confirmed, or just a bit of rumour?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back