Aussies Best & Worst of the Olympics/Likes & Dislikes

Remove this Banner Ad

Many people here have (rightly) pointed out the performances of Phelps and Bolt as being highlights, but what about Mo Farrah ? Surely his efforts deserve recognition as among the best of the games !
And what about asthon eaton in the decathlon? Thought that was special to go back to back as well. The Athletics had a lot of highlights.

Moments of amusement.

- James Tomkins nominating to present medals for the women's 100m freestyle. Obviously expecting a Cate Campbell win. Well, that didn't quite go according to plan, didn't it?

- Bruce interviewing Seb Coe. Did you see them??? They had the same expression on their face as if they'd fallen in love with each other! Lol

Moments of amusement.

- James Tomkins nominating to present medals for the women's 100m freestyle. Obviously expecting a Cate Campbell win. Well, that didn't quite go according to plan, didn't it?

- Bruce interviewing Seb Coe. Did you see them??? They had the same expression on their face as if they'd fallen in love with each other! Lol

James was also there to present the medal in a rowing event that Australia was favourite to win gold but we didnt win

Moments of amusement.

1. Yes and I laughed thinking the same as you and

2. Yes and I was going to post it for high gashiness value but forgot.

You can dig up more treasures from 7's You Tube Olympic site

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC53v-IW_YVYcMu_oqnTR4bw/videos

And what about asthon eaton in the decathlon? Thought that was special to go back to back as well. The Athletics had a lot of highlights.

Van Niekirk was THE moment of the Games for me and many others. Amazing performance.

As for the Olympics - I'm over them Fold 'em. Give up. They are just a corporate boondoggle that financially cripple a city and a country, shuffle lots of public funding into pockets of already wealthy business owners (why do you think the Olympics always requires brand new stadiums? Who gets those contracts?), and the TV coverage is nauseating (because it's focused on theater-goers, rather than sports fans).

The Olympics is bad for sports. It focuses everything on the one event every 4 years, so no one cares about what happens in between times. As has been said, Australia has many World Champions in many sports - if they are Olympic sports, the reaction is usually 'Well, can they reproduce that at the Olympics' - if not an Olympic sport, it might get inside back page at best. Oh I know, if there were no Olympics, we would never see Synchronised swimming, Judo (surely the most boring combat sport to watch - or maybe Tae-Kwondo), horse-dancing or shooting again - I could somehow live with that.

With pay-tv and the internet, there is so much product required that you can pretty much see every sport you want to anyway. Everything's on youtube. We don't NEED the Olympics for people to see the 'minor' sports.

I watch them because I love athletics and track cycling. They are the top events for those sports. In athletics, the Olympics are equivalent to the World Champs - winning either is as good an achievement. In track cycling - not the same. Teams like Australia and Great Britain actually use the cycling World Champs as development and training. That's just crazy. I understand why GB do it - they rely on lottery funding, so they need to get the public attention to maintain that (otherwise they might use the lottery money for things like, I don't know - hospitals) - and the non-sports public only care about the Olympics.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back