Analysis Is Rocky the Right Man for the Job?

Is Rocky the Right Man for the Job?

• Yes

Votes: 68 28.3%
  • No

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • I'm not sure...

Votes: 33 13.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that we have salary cap issues but trading Rocky and Hanley would free up a lot of cap space to go after a big fish probably next year.

There might be a brownlow medallist playing at Freo who we could make an offer to....

I'd expect any Rockliff trade to be drawn out making it difficult to poach a very high quality midfielder from across the country.
If Fyfe left Freo, thats a big if as well, it would only be to a Melbourne club. He is very 'brand' orientated and wants to get the most out of his professional career.

Brian Waldron (haven't listened too much to him so not up on how reliable he is with his info.) on SEN said that Rocky and Hanley need to go, brisbane have a really good crop of youngsters up there who want to take the club forward and they don't respect the leaders up there.
I listen to Waldron on KBs show sometimes and I'd probably take everything he says with a grain of salt. Doesn't seem to have any actual inside knowledge,more just on the show to give his opinion on random things without any real information on the subject. Don't mind listening to him because he doesn't sit on the fence,but I think his opinion is probably no more factual than anyone that reads the sports section in the paper.

Rockliff is a terrific leader in his own right. The Hawthorn playing group haven't any issue with Hodge's demanding style, nor Geelong with Selwood. The reality is that our playing group are weak and require a leader in the Bob Murphy or Pendlebury mould with clear emotional intelligence. Zorko springs to mind in terms of being able to show care for a young playing group. The issue here is not Rocky's ability to lead.

But again, it's the truth. It's not saying they don't care about the team at all. Just that in your first season or two, all you're worried about is getting a game, and once you've got it, all you're worried about is holding your spot. It's self preservation and it's completely natural. Leppa said basically the same thing in a presser not too long ago, saying that was exactly his experience as a rookie. Fully committing to a game plan and your role within it comes with maturity and a sense that you are secure in your position.

Having said that, it certainly seemed like we had some 'mature' players this year who were unjustifiably secure in their positions.

Far from the truth IMO Danny 3. Tell that to Keays, Matho & Hipwood who run their guts out each week trying everything to get our team a win. All 3 players ran over 16 kilometers in the game against Geelong and lost more than 7% of their body weight which took 2 days to get back.They are NOT worried about their spot in the team. They are more worried about doing the things (like set KPI's) they have been asked to do by the coaching staff BECAUSE (like ALL players) they are then measured by these and other things in their review which has a more relevant part in keeping their spot in the team. Fully committing to a game plan does not need experience. Fully executing a game plan does. Big difference. A game plan can be done well or crappy whatever age or experience you have. In a lot of ways, our young guns lead the way where our leaders should have been.

Haha. Ridiculous

Andrews, Keays, Matho all have leadership skills in spades.

Especially Keays, extremely polished in his interactions with the general public.

If there's one thing we don't have to worry about in the future it's the leadership qualities of our young kids, especially those from the academy. Their speaking skills are generally above average from what I've seen of them and their passion for the club is palpable.

Will be very hard to select just one in the future.

Andrews our next future captain for sure providing he keeps injury free. Not ready now but in 2-3 years he will be cherry ripe to take it on. Beams or Zorks for now until Harris is all set to go.

Rockliff is a terrific leader in his own right. The Hawthorn playing group haven't any issue with Hodge's demanding style, nor Geelong with Selwood. The reality is that our playing group are weak and require a leader in the Bob Murphy or Pendlebury mould with clear emotional intelligence. Zorko springs to mind in terms of being able to show care for a young playing group. The issue here is not Rocky's ability to lead.

Weak mnh, young works better for me. Big jump from being the local superstar to being out of your depth, even if you do show positive signs for the future.

Rocky would do well in Geelong or norths as the scott boys clearly have an old school approach.

Interesting that the teams you mention are long term top tier quality. Maybe when you are playing at the very elite level and there is stiff competition for your spot because of significant squad depth you respond better to the more old school approach.

It does seem problems and rumours started to emerge in the 2015 season when Rockliff was named captain. Had Jed been elected for another year, we might have seen a delay of these issues until next season.

As it stands, i don't think we're in a position to lose senior experience, particularly our best player in Rockliff. His season has been decent, and if he's a Hawthorn style leader, than like Sam Mitchell, he should know to step down from the captaincy for the greater good of the team.

I'd have a look at bringing in leading teams to help with how the playing group is run. It's somewhat a controversial program but we're in no place in any area of the club to back ourselves in to get things right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The negative issues surrounding Rocky's leadership have little or nothing to do with him driving extremely high standards, nor a "weakness" in our playing group.

If anything, most of the young guys are showing professionalism and buy-in beyond their years, and the club are desperate to not have that threatened.

How on earth did we get to this point?
Seems that Leppa has failed to manage Rocky or help him develop as a leader and instead they grew apart and created this division. I believe Rocky can be turned around and be a quality contributor with an inclusive style of management. He's not a leader but just thinks he should be in charge. He needs inclusion (maybe not the captaincy) and a strong hand to harness his qualities. I remember Akka causing all sorts of strife and division under Northey (was actually playing seconds) until Lethal gave him something to think about in the back pocket and he won the Brownlow. That relationship didn't last forever but it was great for all of us while it did. Hanley just lost his mojo and confidence through injury and spat the dummy. He has been angry with the world, got on the turps and found solace with Rocky. Two lost and angry souls.So I suppose what I am trying to say is all is not lost and its not all as bad as it seems. With a new Coach and strong Football Manager we can build bridges get this together again quite quickly.

Seems that Leppa has failed to manage Rocky or help him develop as a leader and instead they grew apart and created this division. I believe Rocky can be turned around and be a quality contributor with an inclusive style of management. He's not a leader but just thinks he should be in charge. He needs inclusion (maybe not the captaincy) and a strong hand to harness his qualities. I remember Akka causing all sorts of strife and division under Northey (was actually playing seconds) until Lethal gave him something to think about in the back pocket and he won the Brownlow. That relationship didn't last forever but it was great for all of us while it did. Hanley just lost his mojo and confidence through injury and spat the dummy. He has been angry with the world, got on the turps and found solace with Rocky. Two lost and angry souls.So I suppose what I am trying to say is all is not lost and its not all as bad as it seems. With a new Coach and strong Football Manager we can build bridges get this together again quite quickly.
Never as bad as it seems? Think I've heard that somewhere before.

Or maybe Rockliff is just not a particularly good captain?

I don't have much first hand information, and your perspectives could be right, but I don't think there's a huge body of evidence supporting a perspective that his captaincy has been good?

I'm intrigued by how readily people can conclude that Leppitsch was doing a poor job as coach compared to the benefit of the doubt afforded to Rockliff. This isn't aimed at your post specifically: so I'm sorry for the impression of singling it out.

Makes you ponder that things must be pretty bad off-field doesn't it?

It sure does. I look forward to hearing what the serious off -field issues are? Have any of the issues been confirmed ? Very hard to read all this trash talk about the captain of our club and no link to any of it just hearsay.

Greg Davis tweets the captain has to go and then no story to say why?

I reckon if was the new coach of the club i would want to do my own review and not rely on others word.

It sure does. I look forward to hearing what the serious off -field issues are? Have any of the issues been confirmed ? Very hard to read all this trash talk about the captain of our club and no link to any of it just hearsay.

Greg Davis tweets the captain has to go and then no story to say why?

I reckon if was the new coach of the club i would want to do my own review and not rely on others word.
Sorry mate looks like it's all starting to come out now.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...d/news-story/b3aa01e46b3944e9212e682e9a7412a6

Far from the truth IMO Danny 3. Tell that to Keays, Matho & Hipwood who run their guts out each week trying everything to get our team a win. All 3 players ran over 16 kilometers in the game against Geelong and lost more than 7% of their body weight which took 2 days to get back.They are NOT worried about their spot in the team. They are more worried about doing the things (like set KPI's) they have been asked to do by the coaching staff BECAUSE (like ALL players) they are then measured by these and other things in their review which has a more relevant part in keeping their spot in the team. Fully committing to a game plan does not need experience. Fully executing a game plan does. Big difference. A game plan can be done well or crappy whatever age or experience you have. In a lot of ways, our young guns lead the way where our leaders should have been.

I'm trying to picture eric losing 7% of his body weight, Stick figure with a bobble head.

Or maybe Rockliff is just not a particularly good captain?

I don't have much first hand information, and your perspectives could be right, but I don't think there's a huge body of evidence supporting a perspective that his captaincy has been good?

I'm intrigued by how readily people can conclude that Leppitsch was doing a poor job as coach compared to the benefit of the doubt afforded to Rockliff. This isn't aimed at your post specifically: so I'm sorry for the impression of singling it out.
Yes i don't think he is a natural leader. Just a good player with a strong opinion of himself. I just know that in a strong organisation the "management" ie. Leppa should have identified this and fixed it early. I was replying a post that questioned "how did we get to this". Good Managers build strong teams through honest and inclusive communication and direction.

Yes i don't think he is a natural leader. Just a good player with a strong opinion of himself. I just know that in a strong organisation the "management" ie. Leppa should have identified this and fixed it early. I was replying a post that questioned "how did we get to this". Good Managers build strong teams through honest and inclusive communication and direction.

Yeah, I take your point.

That said, I'm not persuaded that any player can be made into a leader, and I think it's a common mis-judgement to assume strong personalities will be good leaders. You're exactly right that good managers build strong teams, but I also think it's true that strong teams require the right people. We might have just picked the wrong guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back