Injury Knocked off my feet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi Everyone,

I just want to make a quick post to let all my friends know that for the last 12 days I've been quite sick and in hospital.

Initially, we thought I had a kidney stone, however it turned out I have diverticulitis and one or more of these had ruptured, leading to a massive infection throughout my body. To clean this up I needed 4 hrs under the knife to clean things out. At this stage it looks like I've avoided the need for a colostomy bag, but will need a bowel resection in the next 6-12 months.

I am so thankful to my beautiful wife and friends in TL and Darwin who helped get me to Darwin just in time. There are too many to thank individually, but I will be sure to do this in person. Thank you also to my brother, SIL and Mum for coming up to help out Alana.

I have a whole new level of respect for nurses and without them keeping me alive I don't know where I'd be. Truly amazing people and too often overlooked.

The road forward is a slow one, but each day I feel like I'm making progress.

Live your life with honesty, no regrets and always make sure people know you love them.

I'm only now managing to catch up with the draft etc and feel pretty stoked with the way things went for us.

Hi Everyone,

I just want to make a quick post to let all my friends know that for the last 12 days I've been quite sick and in hospital.

Initially, we thought I had a kidney stone, however it turned out I have diverticulitis and one or more of these had ruptured, leading to a massive infection throughout my body. To clean this up I needed 4 hrs under the knife to clean things out. At this stage it looks like I've avoided the need for a colostomy bag, but will need a bowel resection in the next 6-12 months.

I am so thankful to my beautiful wife and friends in TL and Darwin who helped get me to Darwin just in time. There are too many to thank individually, but I will be sure to do this in person. Thank you also to my brother, SIL and Mum for coming up to help out Alana.

I have a whole new level of respect for nurses and without them keeping me alive I don't know where I'd be. Truly amazing people and too often overlooked.

The road forward is a slow one, but each day I feel like I'm making progress.

Live your life with honesty, no regrets and always make sure people know you love them.

I'm only now managing to catch up with the draft etc and feel pretty stoked with the way things went for us.

Dunno how I missed this mate. Sorry to read of your health dramas. I imagine quite a few of us go through such health issues without anyone here knowing. Thanks for letting us know.

A close mate of mine has just come through the bowel resection PLUS Colostomy Bag, due to a Bowel Cancer diagnosis, and he's back together now and cancer free. He has a massive respect for people with Crohns etc who have no option but to head down that path for life when things go bad.

All the best anyway mate.:thumbsu:

I missed this, too.

Really sorry to hear all that, Hazey. That's terrible.

And on the flipside of that, glad to hear you're now on the mend (albeit slowly).

Seems like only a few weeks ago that you were laughing and skipping and buying a Roosistence poster. (Oh that's right, it was just a few weeks ago. Well, that's s**t then.)

Anyways, hope you keep on the up-track, mate. And you can rest assured that your buds here at Bigfooty are firmly in your corner.

Gday BF mates,

I was discharged today and now onto 1-3 weeks of hospital in the home (technically a Darwin hotel) for IV antibiotics. I would not recommend this method of weightless, have dropped 12Kg in 3 weeks. After the clean out I still have some abscesses deep in my pelvis/abdomen that we need to kill off.

It turns out that living in SE Asia has changed my normal gut flora to leave me with 3 bacteria that are resistant to the first and second line abx used.

I cannot urge everyone enough to use antibiotics as directed and always finish them. The future with increased resistance is really going to suck.

Keeping up to date with everything North on Big Footy has been a great help and you guys & girls have continued to give me a few laughs. Thanks for your support.

Go Roos!!!

bb8a900a14a5c29310262bf53ad00db1.jpg

My female cousin's husband contracted one of those difficult to diagnose flesh eating bacterias while living in SE Asia. It started out as Glandular Fever symptoms until a pain he described as "made me wish I would die, it was that acute and impossible to quell" led to further investigation. That led to blood tests galore then investigative surgery which found his insides being devoured by this previously undiagnosed invader. Years later and he's still struggling for energy etc, but otherwise symptom free.

Not good Hazey and I hope you recover fully and swiftly. Few here would know that you used to personally offer a prize to our POTY. Sorry to see you in such an awful spot, which I'm sure would've been scary as hell when the initial symptoms impacted.

We'll list you as "Indefinite - illness" or "2 weeks - general soreness" for the immediate future.

Gday Roo Fans,

Just a quick update to let you know I made it out if Darwin and am now back in Timor-Leste. Heading to work part time next week, before a follow up scope in Darwin. Hopefully a non complicated resection of my sigmoid in August!

Lost around 12-13 Kg in the time I was in hospital. Mrs H whilst happy I am alive is displeased with the weight loss as she enters the 3rd trimester and feels like the side of a house!

Anyway, thanks for the messages whilst I was ill. To be honest I must've been pretty high when I originally posted as I can't remember doing it! Saving my last 2 endone for a rainy day! uploadfromtaptalk1453608132686.jpg

Cheers,

Hazey

Gday Roo Fans,

Just a quick update to let you know I made it out if Darwin and am now back in Timor-Leste. Heading to work part time next week, before a follow up scope in Darwin. Hopefully a non complicated resection of my sigmoid in August!

Lost around 12-13 Kg in the time I was in hospital. Mrs H whilst happy I am alive is displeased with the weight loss as she enters the 3rd trimester and feels like the side of a house!

Anyway, thanks for the messages whilst I was ill. To be honest I must've been pretty high when I originally posted as I can't remember doing it! Saving my last 2 endone for a rainy day!View attachment 209075

Cheers,

Hazey
Mate I'm really sorry I completely missed this thread. As a person who has life experience in some of the problems you yourself have now, I can offer an ear if you would like to talk someone who has/is living through a similar story.

I have had Crohns for the last 20 years and have had multiple resections as well. Had the bag, got the t-shirt, Tec. It can be demoralizing at times but there are always people you can talk with and gain a differing view and subsequent outlook. I've been a supporter of the Australian Crohns and Colitis Association (ACCA) for a long time. I'm not sure if there is a similar group devoted solely to your condition, but you may find that ACCA could be of some value to you. Membership is sfa and it gets you in contact with a support network.

http://nevdgp.org.au/info/gastro/acca.htm

Hope things go well for you from here on in and if you ever need a sympathetic ear or just someone to listen, please feel free to drop me a pm.

All the best,
Groggy

Mate I'm really sorry I completely missed this thread. As a person who has life experience in some of the problems you yourself have now, I can offer an ear if you would like to talk someone who has/is living through a similar story.

I have had Crohns for the last 20 years and have had multiple resections as well. Had the bag, got the t-shirt, Tec. It can be demoralizing at times but there are always people you can talk with and gain a differing view and subsequent outlook. I've been a supporter of the Australian Crohns and Colitis Association (ACCA) for a long time. I'm not sure if there is a similar group devoted solely to your condition, but you may find that ACCA could be of some value to you. Membership is sfa and it gets you in contact with a support network.

http://nevdgp.org.au/info/gastro/acca.htm

Hope things go well for you from here on in and if you ever need a sympathetic ear or just someone to listen, please feel free to drop me a pm.

All the best,
Groggy
Cheers and thanks for the info mate, I'll take a peek!

I just can't imagine how tough it must be for Crohn's & UC sufferers. I tip my hat to you for your strength n honesty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good luck Hazey and Grogg.

Bloody oath. My ex wife had Ulcerative Colitis and that was horrendous, but she always said how fortunate she was to not be diagnosed with Crohns (which I subsequently studied adnauseum at the time).

All the best lads!

Hope you're feeling better mate!

If I can ask, what do you do in Timor?
I've been here for the last four years working on a Pathology Development Program with an Aussie NGO. Trying our best to work with Timorese scientists to build their capacity through implementing self sustainable education and quality monitoring programs.

Best of luck with your recovery mate, anything in the digestive tract can take quite a while before you can do anything normal again!!

I had complications after a relatively simple gall bladder removal which resulted in me getting severe liver toxicity. Was on special liver tablets for nearly 12 months afterward and since then it has changed my whole guy health, was pretty hard for a 22 year old to take at the time.

I pushed it too hard when I went back to work which resulted in my hernia-ating the original incision, so please to it in little steps!!

Best of luck hazey

A quick update fella's; I am all booked in for a resection of the diseased section of my sigmoid tomorrow in Darwin with the same surgeon that saved me from needing a bag the first time around! Looking forward to getting it out of the way to be honest.

Just remember, it's the morphine talking, not me for the next week! Go Roos!

A quick update fella's; I am all booked in for a resection of the diseased section of my sigmoid tomorrow in Darwin with the same surgeon that saved me from needing a bag the first time around! Looking forward to getting it out of the way to be honest.

Just remember, it's the morphine talking, not me for the next week! Go Roos!

Fingers crossed for you, mate. Go Roos!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back