maroon and blue

Slayer of sheep
Oct 5, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
lions
Our colours are maroon blue and yellow but there are many types of these colours. Does anyone know the official names of the colours we have used in the past.?

I have never heard the colours referred to by any other official names.

Obviously the Club's original nickname was the Maroons early in our history (though I'm not sure that was ever officially adopted, but it is hard to tell). And the song - which was come up with in the '50's I think - merely mentions maroon and blue.

I do know that the maroon and blue colours came from Normanby Junior Football Club that was somewhat of a precursor to Fitzroy. I will have to look up the various Fitzroy books I have because I think they have more details about the jumpers.

Although the original Fitzroy jumpers were merely maroon with yellow canvas or something down the middle where they were tied up I think. According to the Footy Jumpers website the blue didn't come into our jumpers until 1908 (with our original jumper below). Although from what I have seen, Fitzroy, like most teams of that era, didn't necessarily just all wear the same standardised jumper - have a look at the following photo from 1905 for instance:

Fitzroy-1897.gif

www.footyjumpers.com
1905-roy-boys.jpg

https://theholybootsfootballemporium.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/1905-roy-boys.jpg

Obviously the red came in with the colour TV era as did the gold / yellow of the FFC monogram (which was previously white and before that a dark blue).

I have never heard the colours referred to by any other official names.

Obviously the Club's original nickname was the Maroons early in our history (though I'm not sure that was ever officially adopted, but it is hard to tell). And the song - which was come up with in the '50's I think - merely mentions maroon and blue.

I do know that the maroon and blue colours came from Normanby Junior Football Club that was somewhat of a precursor to Fitzroy. I will have to look up the various Fitzroy books I have because I think they have more details about the jumpers.

Although the original Fitzroy jumpers were merely maroon with yellow canvas or something down the middle where they were tied up I think. According to the Footy Jumpers website the blue didn't come into our jumpers until 1908 (with our original jumper below). Although from what I have seen, Fitzroy, like most teams of that era, didn't necessarily just all wear the same standardised jumper - have a look at the following photo from 1905 for instance:

Fitzroy-1897.gif

www.footyjumpers.com
1905-roy-boys.jpg

https://theholybootsfootballemporium.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/1905-roy-boys.jpg

Obviously the red came in with the colour TV era as did the gold / yellow of the FFC monogram (which was previously white and before that a dark blue).
Fitzroy sang a club song to the tune of ,You'd be far better off in a home, the lyrics changed to , Better stick to the blue and maroon.I heard this sung in the mid 50s , possibly at the live footy show, Kiora Sports Parade. Bill Stephen wrote the new song on a club trip to Perth a little later,about 56,57.

Found the original George Formby version of "Far better off in a Home". Wonder what Fitzroys lyrics were?

Can only recall the refrain, Better stick to the blue and maroon.Kevin Murray knows some of the old songs,and may know...as would Billy Stephen, and people of that era.I'll try and remember to ask at the historical society gig coming up.

We all stick to the Blue & Maroon,
Win or lose, Fitzroy don't change their tune;
We'll be Premiers this year;
And you'll see us with the pennant very soon.
I think it started and finished with ....Better stick to the blue and maroon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back