Delisted Matt Eagles (2016-2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Prelisted through the Recruit TV show.

Lives: Morningside, QLD
Job: Scaffolder / Massage Therapist
Local Club: Yeronga South Brisbane Football Club
Position: Full Forward / Ruck
AFL Team: Port Adelaide

Matt Eagles is a 199cm big friendly giant from South Australia. Currently living in Queensland and working as a scaffolder and massage therapist, Matt avoids confrontation and is sure to be a peace keeper in the house. After seeing friends like Jared Polac and Jared Petrenko succeed in the AFL, Matt is angry at himself for choosing partying with his mates over footy in his younger days. Now as a 26 year old, this is perhaps his last chance to give it one more crack. With a dad who barracks for Collingwood, and a mother who is a Carlton supporter, Matt is “absolutely blown away” to have Mick Malthouse coaching him, and says his parents are just as excited.

http://www.fox8.tv/character/the-recruit-matt-eagles/

SOUTH Australian Matt Eagles is now a Brisbane Lion after winning the second series of reality TV show The Recruit and signing a contract with the club in the live finale.

Eagles defeated fellow finalists Daniel Cox and Jordan Treloar to sign on as a category B rookie with the Lions, selecting them over Collingwood and Greater Western Sydney.

“It’s unbelievable,” he told foxfooty.com.au.

“It’s an amazing opportunity and all of my hard work has paid off. I’m really looking forward to being on a list, pushing my body to the limit and going beyond.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/mat...2/news-story/0a899daab2266c3022688b8568b2ab8c

THE BRISBANE Lions have picked up winner of The Recruit Matt Eagles as a Category B rookie.

The 199cm ruckman edged out Daniel Cox (second) and Jordan Treloar (third) to win the second season of the show.

Eagles, 26, will complement Stefan Martin and Archie Smith in the ruck department for the Lions.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2016-09-21/our-new-recruit

But a lot of big guys dont mature until mid 20's, get him in a professional environment, hopefully he turns into something.

Schwab: Eagles has what it takes

Brisbane Lions List Manager Peter Schwab has told lions.com.au that new recruit Matt Eagles has what it takes to succeed in the AFL.

Eagles won FOX8’s TV show "The Recruit" last night, selecting the Lions as his home of choice.

‘The Recruit’ winner was judged by the recruiting heads of each of the AFL’s clubs and all clubs were able to bid for the eventual winner to be listed as a ‘Category B’ rookie.

The 26-year-old spent some time with Port Adelaide in the SANFL before quitting football for several years.

He moved to Brisbane for a new job where he rekindled his love of the game with Yeronga South Brisbane Football Club and now, with his size and speed clear assets, he’ll have a chance to play in the AFL.

Eagles will complement Stefan Martin and Archie Smith in the Lions’ ruck department.

“His size being almost 200cm was really appealing to us giving us another ruck option,” said Schwab.

“We looked at our list and Matt being 26 fits in an age bracket between Stefan (29) and Archie (21) to bolster our ruck stocks.”

“We’ve seen he is a good competitor, agile for a big man and aggressive at the ball.

“Of course you always hope there are no injuries, but if he performs well and he’s prepared to work hard, he’ll get his chance.”

Has to be a joke - a few raffle tickets,while appreciated,are neither here nor there - not as if it is a truck load.

Besides,we all know the ruck depth needed addressing and the pleasure in the Lions' camp at the outcome suggested to me that we done good.
That's a good call OD. I choose to think the best of our fine citizenry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It worries me that he seems to lack self confidence and hangs back in the crowd.....really hope he can overcome these traights and make the most of this opportunity given to him.

I agree with the above posts that he might go well in the backline....could be the makings of him..

tumblr_m4jjmllKfV1r3e62yo1_250.png

Rookie watch: Who's burning and who's still learning
The Lions have generally gone for some slightly more mature bodies to fill out their list in the past year or two. In Barrett they got a player ready to contribute at AFL level, while Grewar and McInerney were both proven at lower levels. The rest are a mix of size and pace, with some difficult decisions come the end of the season.

Matthew Eagles
Won 'The Recruit' reality TV program and has made a big improvement as a Category B rookie. Played mainly as a defender, but spent time forward and in the ruck. Hard to see him playing senior footy, but battles hard and might get another year.

NEAFL: Eagles ready to win the flag
At the age of 27, Brisbane Lions’ NEAFL defender Matt Eagles, will play in his first Grand Final this Saturday night against the Sydney Swans at the SCG.

“Me personally, I’ve never played in a Grand Final, so I’d love to get the win obviously,” he said.

The Lions bravely won their ticket to the Grand Final after defeating Sydney University in Saturday afternoon’s preliminary final at the Gabba. An unanswered six goal haul in the first quarter set the Lions up for the rest of the afternoon, never sacrificing their lead.

Eagles had the honour as Captain for the afternoon. “It was a great feeling running the boys out. Being captain, running through the banner, getting the win so we can go through to the Grand Final,” he said.

Brisbane have met the Swans three times this year and secured two victories. The last time they met, in Round 19, the Lions won by 19 points at the Gabba. “The two times that we’ve won against Sydney our contested ball has been really good. I think that’s the key. This work we’re just working on lifting that,” he said.

The team gathered for training this morning at Coorparoo with the energy upbeat and excited about the Grand Final this weekend. “Vibe is great out here. Just having a lot of fun and getting around each other.”

It’s an incredible feat for the Club to have a team playing in the NEAFL Grand Final. Only a year earlier, the side won just three games during the 2016 season. “Yeah it’s a great turnaround, coaching staff and medical staff have been great, we’ve got a really healthy list. We’re putting pressure on the Senior side as well,” Eagles said. “We’d all love to win the flag.”

MATT Eagles has given the Lions something to think about. The rookie listed player, who was drafted off reality TV show “The Recruit” was considered a novelty as he trudged his way through the early stages of his career. At the halfway mark of this season it was looking like his last but he has come ahead in leaps and bounds. His performance in the Lions’ NEAFL premiership win over Sydney on Saturday was exceptional. Ben Keays won the medal but plenty had it going to Eagles who is out of contract and facing an uncertain future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back