P. Cripps vs. Z. Merrett

Cripps or Merrett?

• Cripps

Votes: 105 62.9%
  • Merrett

Votes: 62 37.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Most important stat for an inside midfielder is scoring chain involvements. Watson, Kennedy, etc. have huge numbers. I don't see Cripps being as creative yet by hand (those guys seem to have eyes in the back of their heads), but he's got loads of improvement to come.

Most important stat for an inside midfielder is scoring chain involvements. Watson, Kennedy, etc. have huge numbers. I don't see Cripps being as creative yet by hand (those guys seem to have eyes in the back of their heads), but he's got loads of improvement to come.
In fairness the Carlton forward line would impact that

Both very stiff to miss out on AA selection.
AA selectors with their heads up their arses as usual, or maybe deciding based on the fact the aforementioned lads come from weaker non-finals teams, I don't know. Certainly don't agree with the decision(s) anyway.

Eh ignore Gosha, notorious troll.

Obviously as a biased individual I'd go Cripps although I'd like to think my opinion would be the same as a neutral, being that I love a powerful, contested beast as much if not more than some of the flashier more technically skillful players.

Take nothing away from Z. Merrett though, very good young player and will be an important cog of the Dons midfield for many years. Their best mid now easily?
Hes still not as good as Heppell at his best.

Essendon supporters all over Zac.
Carlton supporters all over Cripps.
Neutrals 85/15 Cripps.
I'd be happy with either.
But Cripps def.
Merrett was left alone this year. I'm sure he will handle attention when it comes but nobody chose to make it come this year.

Essendon supporters all over Zac.
Carlton supporters all over Cripps.
Neutrals 85/15 Cripps.
I'd be happy with either.
But Cripps def.
Merrett was left alone this year. I'm sure he will handle attention when it comes but nobody chose to make it come this year.

Funny how You forgot to mention

Players MVP picked Merrett
Coaches votes picked Merrett
Umpires Brownlow picked Merrett

He didn't forget, he just didn't give a s**t like most people should. If you're happy with Merrett, good for you; you can sleep happy. Carlton fans will do the same for Cripps. They're both fine players.

Oh boo hoo, 1 brownlow vote, cry me a river, you have to remember that Merrett played with nothing but tugrid trash and top ups for most of the season, so he had no one to take votes off him, unlike Cripps.

Anyhow the universal consensus amongst neutrals is Cripps is the better player and prospect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was reading this thread. Where only Essendon supporters are picking Zac. Relax he's a gun.

Oh boo hoo, 1 brownlow vote, cry me a river, you have to remember that Merrett played with nothing but tugrid trash and top ups for most of the season, so he had no one to take votes off him, unlike Cripps.

Anyhow the universal consensus amongst neutrals is Cripps is the better player and prospect.

Wut.

Meaning no tag. Nobody tagged Essendon players. Teams vs Essendon averaged over 400 possessions a game. And Bombers also had great numbers.
Nobody was going, crickey we have to stop Merrett so we can win. Because they would win anyway.
If Essendon improve, so will efforts into stopping their good mids.

Meaning no tag. Nobody tagged Essendon players. Teams vs Essendon averaged over 400 possessions a game. And Bombers also had great numbers.
Nobody was going, crickey we have to stop Merrett so we can win. Because they would win anyway.
If Essendon improve, so will efforts into stopping their good mids.

Yeah... that's totally incorrect.

Teams RARELY play more than one tagger (on the odd occasion you'll see two but it does tend to be rare).

Teams tended to tag Zaharakis because he COULD be tagged out of the game.

But a lack of a tagger doesn't somehow negate the value of a players output. To suggest that teams were not interested in stopping Merrett (or any other Essendon player) because he wasn't tagged is just ludicrous.

This weekend there'll be somewhere in the vicinity of 10 players running around that could probably be tagged. So the output of the 8 or 9 that don't get tagged is somehow worthless? Or the opposition figured they didn't need to negate them?

"Yeah we totally knew we didn't have to tag the Bont to get the win, so don't pay any attention to his 30 touches and two goals, they're worthless".

Rubbish. Utter rubbish.

I couldn't really care less if Carlton fans, or anyone else prefer Cripps to Merrett. I can tell you right now I'm stoked to have Merrett - kid is a gun.

But to suggest his very obvious talent is somehow worth less because of this imagined disregard of him? No.

Yeah... that's totally incorrect.

Teams RARELY play more than one tagger (on the odd occasion you'll see two but it does tend to be rare).

Teams tended to tag Zaharakis because he COULD be tagged out of the game.

But a lack of a tagger doesn't somehow negate the value of a players output. To suggest that teams were not interested in stopping Merrett (or any other Essendon player) because he wasn't tagged is just ludicrous.

This weekend there'll be somewhere in the vicinity of 10 players running around that could probably be tagged. So the output of the 8 or 9 that don't get tagged is somehow worthless? Or the opposition figured they didn't need to negate them?

"Yeah we totally knew we didn't have to tag the Bont to get the win, so don't pay any attention to his 30 touches and two goals, they're worthless".

Rubbish. Utter rubbish.

I couldn't really care less if Carlton fans, or anyone else prefer Cripps to Merrett. I can tell you right now I'm stoked to have Merrett - kid is a gun.

But to suggest his very obvious talent is somehow worth less because of this imagined disregard of him? No.

I agree he's a gun.
But yes nobody gave two hoots about his impact this year. Games against Essendon were just loose possession fests, resulting in easy wins.
Will be interesting to watch him as the side improves. And attention on him is upped.
But yes the kid is a gun.
Not in Cripps or Bonts league...but that ain't no shame. They are freaks.

I agree he's a gun.
But yes nobody gave two hoots about his impact this year. Games against Essendon were just loose possession fests, resulting in easy wins.
Will be interesting to watch him as the side improves. And attention on him is upped.
But yes the kid is a gun.
Not in Cripps or Bonts league...but that ain't no shame. They are freaks.

Yeah nobody except the coaches, the players, the umpires, the media and the supporter base.

But oh sure, outside of them, no one gave two hoots about Merretts impact this year.

BigFooty. * me dead.

Yeah nobody except the coaches, the players, the umpires, the media and the supporter base.

But oh sure, outside of them, no one gave two hoots about Merretts impact this year.

BigFooty. **** me dead.

Opposition sides didn't care about his impact. That is what I'm saying. He was left alone to accumulate. Regardless of the ball he won, the opposition coaches were not worried about the damage being done. He wasn't tagged.
Of course umps, supporters etc love him. He's a little gun!
Chilaxxx

So you're taking Zac?
Did he break the AFL record for first possession from stoppages? Lead the league in contested possession and clearances?

Zac did lead the league in total pressure acts, credit to him playing every game and chasing tail - surprised not more Essendon players made the list.

One is on his way to becoming an elite mid with the other is doing things other players have yet to do in the competition.

Happy to have Zac and as our list stands I would not trade him for Cripps as we have some big bodied clearance animals coming back in.

On the flipside Carlton would not trade Cripps for Zac either as you can build a midfield around Cripps and they have no clearance players if you take him away.

Both teams happy.

Fans of AFL happy to watch them over thew next ten years.

Back