NBN- Fibre to the Node questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
So due to get NBN in two weeks and this is in the email that came yesterday...

"As you have chosen a self-installation, your telephone handset will need to be plugged directly into the back of your Telstra Gateway MaxTM modem. Plugging it into your existing telephone socket will not work. If you want to continue using your existing telephone sockets, we may need to arrange a Telstra technician to attend and complete the connection for you. "

Ok, get that, but my question is that I have TWO phone points in the house.

Can I plug the Gateway modem into EITHER of these two points?

The reason being that I want to have the modem out of an inconvenient spot (the kitchen) and into a Study where the desktop can be Ethernet connected.

Do you know how hard it is to get an answer on this?

"As you have chosen a self-installation, your telephone handset will need to be plugged directly into the back of your Telstra Gateway MaxTM modem. Plugging it into your existing telephone socket will not work. If you want to continue using your existing telephone sockets, we may need to arrange a Telstra technician to attend and complete the connection for you. "

The reason being that I want to have the modem out of an inconvenient spot (the kitchen) and into a Study where the desktop can be Ethernet connected.

I hope this reaches you in time.

I know how you feel as I had exactly the same questions and Telstra and the NBN are hopeless. Every time I rang Telstra they referred me to the NBN Company who told me it was Telstra's responsibility.

You can run an extension phone but you need to get a qualified electrician to smart wire your existing copper extensions. I have had NBN for eighteen months and use a DECT handset out of the NBN port and an DECT extension in another room. You will need a DECT phone as your old copper wired phone may not work with the NBN fibre. If you are going to buy a suitable NBN phone do not go to Telstra as they will charge you an arm for one. You can purchase an NBN compatible phone at BigW.

I had an electrician I could trust and he explained it all and rewired my extensions so I suggest you call a good sparky. I think you will find this is a cheaper and quicker alternative to booking a visit by a Telstra Tech .

Last edited:

I supposely get early next year. See it when I believe it

Careful what you wish for. The NBN is a big scam as far as I am concerned. It was originally supposed to deliver super fast speeds and it will, provided we are prepared to pay for it. Most ISP's are offering 12Mbps as their standard speed and if you want to go faster you pay. I have 25Mbps through Tesltra and I have noticed little difference between it and my old ADSL2+ service.

I hope this reaches you in time.

I know how you feel as I had exactly the same questions and Telstra and the NBN are hopeless. Every time I rang Telstra they referred me to the NBN Company who told me it was Telstra's responsibility.

You can run an extension phone but you need to get a qualified electrician to smart wire your existing copper extensions. I have had NBN for eighteen months and use a DECT handset out of the NBN port and an DECT extension in another room. You will need a DECT phone as your old copper wired phone may not work with the NBN fibre. If you are going to buy a suitable NBN phone do not go to Telstra as they will charge you an arm for one. You can purchase an NBN compatible phone at BigW.

I had an electrician I could trust and he explained it all and rewired my extensions so I suggest you call a good sparky. I think you will find this is a cheaper and quicker alternative to booking a visit by a Telstra Tech .

Thanks for the reply.

I am not too fussed about multiple extension points....we rarely use land line.

When the Nbn is connected can I choose any of the two sockets to plug the Gateway into?

There is confusion over this from Telstra consultants...some say yes both sockets active..some say one socket will be active.

The socket I don't want to use is in a kitchen space and looking at the nbn modem that came yesterday it doesn’t look kitchen proof.

On adsl2 I get 4mps download and exchange is 6km away.

Our node for nbn is 400m away.

I would be wrapt if it gets to 12mps....sigh.

Have read on whirlpool some getting higher speeds than that on fibre to node.

Some parts around here have the original nbn fibre...but knowing the process for this....you can see how it was going to be a money pit.

We got ripped off again...thanks Kevin07

Ok so what you have at the moment is:

{2 phone outlets} --> copper patched into customer MDF --> copper line to the pit down the street

From my understanding of FTTN, effectively the exchange moves closer to you and uses a technology called VDSL for the last hop. In laymans terms, VDSL is ethernet over telephone grade copper. Since the distance is reduced, you get better speeds.

With VDSL, there is a sender and receiver modem. Your Telstra Gateway MaxTM is the receiver and the entrance point to your house. That gateway carries your voice and data services. So your phone needs to connect into the gateway to get back to Telstra. In your case, your 2nd data point would need to be patched into your gateway. The other option is to get a wireless phone, plug the basestation into the gateway and have the other cordless handsets elsewhere in the house.

Your Telstra gateway modem can plug into either wall outlet. However both wall outlets wont be live at the same time unless you do some patching (data electrician work)

Ok so what you have at the moment is:

{2 phone outlets} --> copper patched into customer MDF --> copper line to the pit down the street

From my understanding of FTTN, effectively the exchange moves closer to you and uses a technology called VDSL for the last hop. In laymans terms, VDSL is ethernet over telephone grade copper. Since the distance is reduced, you get better speeds.

With VDSL, there is a sender and receiver modem. Your Telstra Gateway MaxTM is the receiver and the entrance point to your house. That gateway carries your voice and data services. So your phone needs to connect into the gateway to get back to Telstra. In your case, your 2nd data point would need to be patched into your gateway. The other option is to get a wireless phone, plug the basestation into the gateway and have the other cordless handsets elsewhere in the house.

Your Telstra gateway modem can plug into either wall outlet. However both wall outlets wont be live at the same time unless you do some patching (data electrician work)

Excellent...thanks!

And every evening from 4pm (start of peak time) your NBN speed will drop dramatically as congestion ramps up. I am supposed to have 25Mbps and I have checked a couple of times in the evening when s**t crawls to slower than I used to get on ADSL2+ and the download speed is close to my upload speed.

And for this bullshit, we are paying 80/month from Iinet.

And every evening from 4pm (start of peak time) your NBN speed will drop dramatically as congestion ramps up. I am supposed to have 25Mbps and I have checked a couple of times in the evening when s**t crawls to slower than I used to get on ADSL2+ and the download speed is close to my upload speed.

Oh no....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FTTN or fibre to house?

Ouch, nasty throttling there.

When Telstra runs the infrastructure and other providers rent it from T...

Ouch, nasty throttling there.

When Telstra runs the infrastructure and other providers rent it from T...
No throttling there... just pure congestion. It's bloody ridiculous really.

Since we sold off telescum, they have been pulling billions out in fees and charges and have only been putting back cents towards maintenance.

Ok so we got in on.

All the mail says they will let you know when it's ready to go...crickets on the day.

Nekminnit the Adsl2 isn't working.

So I spend 1 hour the next day trying to find out what's going on....10 second conversation eventually says NBN is connected.

Anywho been on since last Wednesday and getting 28mbps on average.

Works on any socket which was good.

Only problem is that on any device it is fast except the PC. The PC just doesn't seem to cope. Firefox is better but just.

The PC is about 2012 vintage.

Would the processing of the PC impact the ability to process the page?

Cabinet/Node installed early October last year. But it wasn't until late March this year that the service to my area was switched on. So based on that, five to six months from when the node was installed. Hopefully its a quicker process for you.
Cheers, still abit of a wait then. Does distance from the cabinet affect speed?

On SM-G935F using BigFooty.com mobile app

IInet, Westnet, TPG - they will always be a problem because they are cheap and offer an all you can eat service (very streaming friendly). Every man and his dog will sign up with them. Aussie broadband are fully on-net (rolled out their own backbones to each POI), don't give all you can eat services and will more than likely avoid many of the congestion issues that the crappy ISP's suffer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back