Coaching Staff Matthew Egan seeks fresh start

Remove this Banner Ad

His capital is rising, I suspect quicker than we realise...
I suspect we'd realise. But you don't want to go into a bidding war over a coach for the VFL I wouldn't have thought. Ultimately be good for Egan's development (maybe could've spent another year at Essendon) to get more experience if he intends on going for a top job down the track.

I suspect we'd realise. But you don't want to go into a bidding war over a coach for the VFL I wouldn't have thought. Ultimately be good for Egan's development (maybe could've spent another year at Essendon) to get more experience if he intends on going for a top job down the track.
I meant we as in the lay fan. I reckon the club rate him very highly.

But you're right.

Was it a step back in his coaching career going from assistant coach to VFL coach? (Curious to know where they rank)
No.
One wouldve thought interim afl coach would want to be afl coach.. not go to vfl.
Being a head coach at state level is a promotion from being an assistant at AFL level.

So was there no role for Egan in the mainstream AFL coaching set up ?
He's been there and done that. I imagine he would only have left if there was an onwards and upwards role somewhere else... and sometimes elsewhere in a similar role is better anyway just for variety and breadth of experiences. We're obviously not offering him the senior coaching role for 2017... not sure what else we could offer an aspiring coach in his position that would further his career?

He's been there and done that. I imagine he would only have left if there was an onwards and upwards role somewhere else... and sometimes elsewhere in a similar role is better anyway just for variety and breadth of experiences. We're obviously not offering him the senior coaching role for 2017... not sure what else we could offer an aspiring coach in his position that would further his career?

My understanding is that there was no role for Egan in Worsfold's inner circle - These things happen and life moves on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is the Head Coaching churn like at MFC?

Mark Riley 9 3 6 0 33.33 2007
Dean Bailey 83 22 59 2 26.51 2008–2011
Todd Viney 5 1 4 0 20.00 2011
Mark Neeld 33 5 28 0 15.15 2012–2013
Neil Craig 11 1 10 0 9.09 2013
Paul Roos 66 21 45 0 31.18 2014–2016
Simon Goodwin 0 0 0 0 0 2017–

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back