Mega Thread Trade/Draft/Delist SuperMegaUltrathread - 2016/17 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are tax deductions for sleeping away from home for work.

Besides whatever the allowance, its peanuts these days compared to what they earn.

Geography is geography. Just plain bad luck and that's it. No one complains the fact that we get great benefit playing at home because travel affects other teams more. We also get great benefit.

As for attracting free agents, every free agent has 17 clubs to choose from who are all just as professional. No matter the player, odds are always small. Heck even collingwood can't attract them all.
All that hot air gets blown out by the fact that IF it was a level playing field then it wouldn't be so hard to get players across here (see Travis Varcoe). The travel is a huge deal.

Yeah agree with that. I'm just saying I don't get the rage about it, and it won't make that much of a difference either way. At worst, he might bring a bit of experience to the club.

It's rage inducing for me because we would be literally picking up rejected trash from North Melbourne. North trash is the worst kind of trash. Complete list clogger who will add absolutely nothing. Better to take a punt on an unknown young kid. It would also add some weight to the argument that our recruiters have lost the plot.

Might as well pick goddard and just plonk him in the fwd/ruck and with hs physicality he would still offer the same if not more than petrie.

Might as well pick goddard and just plonk him in the fwd/ruck and with hs physicality he would still offer the same if not more than petrie.

Oh I don't know Avishka, according to the Facebook fans Petrie is better than Darling and could even teach Darling a thing or two, so by that logic surely we would be better off with Petrie than Goddard :tearsofjoy:

It's rage inducing for me because we would be literally picking up rejected trash from North Melbourne. North trash is the worst kind of trash. Complete list clogger who will add absolutely nothing. Better to take a punt on an unknown young kid. It would also add some weight to the argument that our recruiters have lost the plot.
Give him a one year contract while NN is out. I dont see the big deal in that. He is gone as soon as NN plays, whether it be end of next year or the season after. And he is free.

Give him a one year contract while NN is out. I dont see the big deal in that. He is gone as soon as NN plays, whether it be end of next year or the season after. And he is free.

The big deal is he is neither a forward nor a ruckman and long finished as a player. 2 years for a 34 year old has been? He may be free in terms of draft picks but his salary will be lot more than that of a rookie - is this not a problem?

It's very avoidable, you take a young ruckman with potential (which I'm still hopeful we do) instead of an over the hill "ruckman" who hasn't had more than 3 hitouts in a game since 2014.

Totally agree. Actually Petrie averages only 3.8 hitouts per game over 316 games - so he is very definitely NOT a ruckman.

Younger player will cost a pick as it is Petrie as far as i know is a delisted free agent ...meaning he is free .
Cameron , Goddard are still a chance as is Lobb as we get Petrie for nothing .

Petrie said himself in a roundabout way that he is a backup if needed for his mate AS .
We have a back up in Giles and McInness, how many backups do we need?

We need to improve the list long term not plug holes for 12 months. Find the next Cox or Lynch or Priddis or Megnola from either the rookie list or a pick in round 5.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the article seems more like a bit of desperation from Petrie. Hopefully the club has more sense. Having him on top of mcinnes would be annoying and rob us the opportunity to go deeper in an apparently deep draft. The closer we get to trade period the more I want us to bring in no one.

im not sold on kerr. he could be a decent second tall. Marshall is ok but i have heard he is a bit lazy and the thought of lamb just comes into my mind. Yes i agree about mids but having 3 once in a generational mids is once in a blue moon kinda thing. Those years we also had exceptional goal kicking mids and now days not every elite mid is a gun goal kicking mids. I agree about midfielders but we also need to have one eye on the future and not have another period where we have an abundance of one sort of player and lack in other areas. I think Emac should be offloaded for a second rounder making 3 top 30 picks.
Sure our previous flag winning midfield was amazing. But spending a disproportionate amount of our cap on ruckman and KPP without having quality mids and flankers will mean we'll struggle to win the ball and actually bring our talls into the game. Hawthorn and the Bulldogs (with the exception of Boyd) have built their team around midfielders and flankers of quality instead of selling the farm for KPP and rucks. Perhaps our team balance is a little skewed towards talls instead of midfielders, flankers and winning the contested ball. I'm not sure if we can continue to play Kennedy solely as a KPF with two rucks.

Kennedy is probably going to finish up as our greatest KPF, but if we keep Darling and get something out of the draft, then we can cover for his eventual retirement. As another poster said, we got Lynch through the rookie draft and he had some great seasons.

Agree about Emac. I'd love to see Masten be put out there too, but it will probably never happen.

All that hot air gets blown out by the fact that IF it was a level playing field then it wouldn't be so hard to get players across here (see Travis Varcoe). The travel is a huge deal.

If this if that. No ifs. We are located where we are.

U don't know how close we were to varcoe. Even if close. Maybe we just didn't give enough money. There is a salary cap. Maybe he didn't want to be away from his family. Maybe it was actually travel. But u don't know.

Last thing I want is players coming over here just because of money. They will sit on contract till they can leave again like Tarrant and that Hawks player whose name escapes me that got traded for hodge.

But judging by ur uneven playing field, do u then support sydney and Brisbane having extra money? Brisbane have retention issues. Sydney cost of living. Where do u stop? Everyone has their disadvantages. Melbourne teams basically have no home ground advantage due to so many clubs. Is that level playing field. Where do u stop?

But more we talk about travel being a physical problem, the more people think it's a physical problem. I don't see how. Once u get used to it it's enjoyable. When u have kids that alone time is fantastic. It's flying, not having to walk 3000km. Also doesn't lower air pressure mean players heal quicker?

The games changed we don't need two Ruckman we need the extra midfielder on the ground.....

Every team will just flood the contest next year the Ruck will become less relevant

You don't see the Bulldogs worrying about their ruck stocks hell they use their power forward as the Ruckman

If their is one team that needs a extra Midfielder on the ground it's us

If this if that. No ifs. We are located where we are.

U don't know how close we were to varcoe. Even if close. Maybe we just didn't give enough money. There is a salary cap. Maybe he didn't want to be away from his family. Maybe it was actually travel. But u don't know.

Last thing I want is players coming over here just because of money. They will sit on contract till they can leave again like Tarrant and that Hawks player whose name escapes me that got traded for hodge.

But judging by ur uneven playing field, do u then support sydney and Brisbane having extra money? Brisbane have retention issues. Sydney cost of living. Where do u stop? Everyone has their disadvantages. Melbourne teams basically have no home ground advantage due to so many clubs. Is that level playing field. Where do u stop?

But more we talk about travel being a physical problem, the more people think it's a physical problem. I don't see how. Once u get used to it it's enjoyable. When u have kids that alone time is fantastic. It's flying, not having to walk 3000km. Also doesn't lower air pressure mean players heal quicker?
What are you on about?! These players are professionals! They get paid for performance. If they're good they get paid, and I'm sure money is a motivational factor, just as it would be for any professional. FML, you have an insider blatantly telling us it's an issue and you seem to going bass ackwards out of your way to ignore this. This whole thread is 'if', you don't like it, you know exactly where to go.

2) travel expenses are considered part of the football department fiend which seems nonsensical

Quoted because this needs more attention. If this is true, it is ridiculous and most definitely something the WA clubs should take a strong stand against. Even the queensland sides travel costs would be a fraction of us and Freo

Dale Miller tweet: westcoasteagles footy manager Craig Vozzo says club may recruit 2 players, not just 1, to fill Nic Nat void. Drew Petrie still in frame

We can get two backups and still keep our first , second and third draft picks to use on a midfielder first , Waterman second or third and maybe a KPP with the other pick ( 2nd or 3rd ) . The NicNat void is massive for the team .

Given we'd probably be delisting McInnes if NicNat hadn't gone down, and given we played Mitch Brown a few times as backup ruck this year, Petrie is definitely a practically free upgrade on what we've got right now. If we can't get Rory Lobb I'd be fine with getting him for a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back