Hampden Football League Season 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

yes that is exactly what he got paid for the few games he managed to play.

I can tell you for a fact he was offered a very modest stipend for his role as assistant coach - duties included all fitness work at training, assisting junior coaches and taking extra sessions. Straight up. Im not sure he has even asked for it yet!

Been impressive

My prediction for 2017 is Port Fairy, Koroit and North will finish in the top 3. Next 5 will be real even as Souths have recruited some talent. W'bool will slip. Terang will finish 9th but will still be competitive. Hamilton will collect the wooden spoon. I know it's early days, but that's just an early prediction for next season. I just hope Hamilton can recruit some talent and become real competitive next season. This comp for 2017 will be very even and interesting. The silly season will continue for another 6 months..lol Can't wait till April 2017.

My prediction for 2017 is Port Fairy, Koroit and North will finish in the top 3. Next 5 will be real even as Souths have recruited some talent. W'bool will slip. Terang will finish 9th but will still be competitive. Hamilton will collect the wooden spoon. I know it's early days, but that's just an early prediction for next season. I just hope Hamilton can recruit some talent and become real competitive next season. This comp for 2017 will be very even and interesting. The silly season will continue for another 6 months..lol Can't wait till April 2017.

I would expect Cobden to continue to improve along with Camperdown, who were very competitive in elim final despite having horror run with injuries...

I can tell you for a fact he was offered a very modest stipend for his role as assistant coach - duties included all fitness work at training, assisting junior coaches and taking extra sessions. Straight up. Im not sure he has even asked for it yet!

Been impressive

Take your word for it but if he is fit to play from Round 1 next season he will be playing for more than a $100 a win and $50 a loss!!!
Given he hasn't played 40 senior games yet he wouldn't even be getting a $100 game based on your payment scale....

Been impressive
I find that very hard to believe. Also I can't imagine Marcus darmody would be coming back all the way from Ballarat for nothing. Speaking of traveling back to play, I'm hearing James Hussey will be traveling back to play next year.

Blythe- these forums work best when your posts are relatively close to fact. So let's set the record straight re koroit and payments. Fact - they simply do not pay out money to players other than $100 a win for anyone who has played over 40 senior games and $50 a loss-fact!
I've heard straight from a players mouth his payments were 150 a game at koroit.

I find that very hard to believe. Also I can't imagine Marcus darmody would be coming back all the way from Ballarat for nothing. Speaking of traveling back to play, I'm hearing James Hussey will be traveling back to play next year.
Good call in relation to Darmody.
My understanding is Hussey will be moving to Warrnambool and working with a local builder prior to Xmas.

I've heard straight from a players mouth his payments were 150 a game at koroit.

So it is up to $150 a game from $50 a loss to $100 a win. That might be what Koroit pay, but surely there must be a 3rd party involved that sees him receive more than $150 a game next year if fully fit. There is no way he is only getting $150 a game.

What's it matter! If McIntyre walked to any club and asked for $300 a game he would get it. If he went to district league he would get $800+. The face is he doesn't cost anyone that much because he can't keep himself on the field for long enough. Koroit may only pay overs for one or two but for most of the years they have found other ways to help keep players on low money. They have incorporated players into small investments and 3rd party offers and that's the smart way to do business. Koroit should be commended for their efforts not condemned for having to pay 2 or 3 players these days.

What's it matter! If McIntyre walked to any club and asked for $300 a game he would get it. If he went to district league he would get $800+. The face is he doesn't cost anyone that much because he can't keep himself on the field for long enough. Koroit may only pay overs for one or two but for most of the years they have found other ways to help keep players on low money. They have incorporated players into small investments and 3rd party offers and that's the smart way to do business. Koroit should be commended for their efforts not condemned for having to pay 2 or 3 players these days.
Not sure anyone is condemning Koroit. Goes without saying given they have won three flags in a row that they are doing things better than any other club. There is no doubt that success helps with player retention and recruitment and being able to pay less, as the biggest carrot for most footballers is success. Having had Dowie in charge is also a great draw card for players. The fact a small town such as Koroit has been so successful only strengthens the argument that it is ridiculous that Pt Fairy have been given very generous points cap concessions. The fact Port Fairy have so many more points in he cap is a farce - why bring in an equalisation measure only to then grant some clubs more points that then actually creates more inequity and defeats the whole purpose of the points cap in the first place. If Pt Fairy recruit Sully, Simpson and say one other VFL player as a result of extra points in cap - how can that be a level playing field and fair to other clubs??
In relation to McIntyre his market rate in HFNL is much higher than $300 a game. You make a good point that he hasn't cost anyone much on a per game basis as he has struggled to get on the park.

So it is up to $150 a game from $50 a loss to $100 a win. That might be what Koroit pay, but surely there must be a 3rd party involved that sees him receive more than $150 a game next year if fully fit. There is no way he is only getting $150 a game.
Sorry boys I wasn't referring to McIntyre... I was talking to a retired footballer of koroits. And he spoke of others getting paid. McIntyre is an assistant coach and playing or not playing id say he would be on a nice wicket.
Koroits done an amazing job and they would probably pay the least compared to other clubs, I just don't like how they try to say they don't play players at koroit- Darmondy was on 500 a game last year, I doubt he gave that up to play for free...
Time to move on from that agruement tho now boys lol...
I've been told if sully comes back it will be to port with close family ties and probably a great deal also. Pitty coz I was hoping he'd return to south.

Sorry boys I wasn't referring to McIntyre... I was talking to a retired footballer of koroits. And he spoke of others getting paid. McIntyre is an assistant coach and playing or not playing id say he would be on a nice wicket.
Koroits done an amazing job and they would probably pay the least compared to other clubs, I just don't like how they try to say they don't play players at koroit- Darmondy was on 500 a game last year, I doubt he gave that up to play for free...
Time to move on from that agruement tho now boys lol...
I've been told if sully comes back it will be to port with close family ties and probably a great deal also. Pitty coz I was hoping he'd return to south.

Koroit played the family card on Marcus Darmody by signing brother Michael a season before. It was an excellent move that probably helped ensure another flag this season. Marcus come home for work more than footy and to also have the chance to play with his brother once more. But yeah anyway....

Sully is going to Port Fairy for more than just family ties that's for sure! They have jobs and a small fortune in tow. And yes I agree the points system is currently a farce. How can the league let a team that has been told we will allow you to have extra points so you can retain you current list then go and add Simpson and Sully to that as well and say that's ok. 5 VFL/AFL and 1 SANFL listed players. You are taking the piss Hampden League!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone heard of retirements this year? Surely be a few?

I ll throw some retirees around:

One would assume that Chris McLaren (possibly a stand in coach at Koroit for one season if they can't find Mr Right) and Joe McLaren (coaching Dennington I think) have reached the end. Josh Parkinson, Herb Barlow, Tim Sheldon and Brendan Murfett should all be moving on.
Andrew McCarthy possibly?
Hamilton and Portland I wouldn't have a clue.
Camperdown, Cobden, Port Fairy and Terang all pretty safe.

Longtime reader first time poster boys. The Hampden league need to do something about this points system when port fairy can be 5 points or 3 minutes out of a grand final yet they can have the opportunity to recruit players on a playing field that no one else can reach. They had 43 points for the recent prelim I was told which would've been illegal for any other side. It's time the league shows some courage and ensures that everyone plays on a level playing field. If a grand final is won by port fairy with more points it would be fair to say that it would be tainted and not fair to they opponent who is restricted

Longtime reader first time poster boys. The Hampden league need to do something about this points system when port fairy can be 5 points or 3 minutes out of a grand final yet they can have the opportunity to recruit players on a playing field that no one else can reach. They had 43 points for the recent prelim I was told which would've been illegal for any other side. It's time the league shows some courage and ensures that everyone plays on a level playing field. If a grand final is won by port fairy with more points it would be fair to say that it would be tainted and not fair to they opponent who is restricted

Welcome aboard Snaggingoals! Yeah couldn't agree more! Time to tighten the strings before they buy one and taint the system well and truely!

Welcome aboard Snaggingoals! Yeah couldn't agree more! Time to tighten the strings before they buy one and taint the system well and truely!

Port can recruit players from the Warrnambool area - just down the road and the same as Koroit. You don't hear Koroit pleading for an extra allocation of points due to their small population. Cobden is the club that is getting a rough rub. I suppose once the Hampden League gets Port a flag then it will arrange for a reduction in their generous points allocation???

HM if you are a Warrnambool man (I suspect you actually are a closet Saint :) you would know that McIntyre was on significant money at the Blues and prior to that at Central Districts so $300 a game is off the mark and $100 a game ridiculous. Anyhow let's just get on with it and accept that ALL teams pay money on a sliding scale according to abilities.

Port can recruit players from the Warrnambool area - just down the road and the same as Koroit. You don't hear Koroit pleading for an extra allocation of points due to their small population. Cobden is the club that is getting a rough rub. I suppose once the Hampden League gets Port a flag then it will arrange for a reduction in their generous points allocation???
How far is it from Cobden to Colac?

HM if you are a Warrnambool man (I suspect you actually are a closet Saint :) you would know that McIntyre was on significant money at the Blues and prior to that at Central Districts so $300 a game is off the mark and $100 a game ridiculous. Anyhow let's just get on with it and accept that ALL teams pay money on a sliding scale according to abilities.

Haha definitely a Warrnambool man! I like how the saints operate though. Should be a mold for all sides.

Next year will be unbelievably close. So far all of South, Cobden and Camperdown (soon to be announced) are bringing in some pretty good players, so all three sides should continue to push.

Don't think Terang-Mortlake will be as low as ninth again. All those games under 20 points they lost will turn around with experience. Throw in O'Connor and Staughton who have both returned from overseas assuming they retake their places with the Bloods, and the natural increase of youth, they will be a contender too.

For me the ball is back in Portland and Hamilton's court because they are the two sides I want to see improve further. Portland made good inroads this year, but Hamilton still have a little way to go. Warrnambool look to be on the slide, I think they could genuinely miss finals.

I'll make a call now and say Cobden is a lock for finals. Wait and see once their recruiting drive is over.

Wait t
Next year will be unbelievably close. So far all of South, Cobden and Camperdown (soon to be announced) are bringing in some pretty good players, so all three sides should continue to push.

Don't think Terang-Mortlake will be as low as ninth again. All those games under 20 points they lost will turn around with experience. Throw in O'Connor and Staughton who have both returned from overseas assuming they retake their places with the Bloods, and the natural increase of youth, they will be a contender too.

For me the ball is back in Portland and Hamilton's court because they are the two sides I want to see improve further. Portland made good inroads this year, but Hamilton still have a little way to go. Warrnambool look to be on the slide, I think they could genuinely miss finals.

I'll make a call now and say Cobden is a lock for finals. Wait and see once their recruiting drive is over.
wait till you blokes see who koroit have appointed. It will generate plenty of chat. A seriously good signing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back