Autopsy AFL Season 2016 - What have you liked, learnt or hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved: Danger's first season with us.
Liked: H&A for most of it was good except the loss to Carlton.
Hated: our finals series. We make top 4 once again just to play s**t at the business end. Something quite common under Scott.

Loved:
Doggies winning the flag :eek:
Our new players performing well for us
Geelong's season generally
The guard beginning to change, with Hawthorn/Freo/North falling away and Dees/St Kilda/GWS starting to really build.
Tom Boyd telling the haterz to go suck it.

Hated:
Losing the PF :mad:
Continuing to see Brisbane struggle
So many good players being cut down by season-ending injuries.
People disrespecting the Doggies by talking about "heart and soul beating skill". The Doggies are a bloody great football team, you know.

Learned:
Injuries, youth, inexperience, bad luck, and "tough asks" are no longer an excuse. The Doggies did it the super hard way.
When the end comes, it can come very quickly (Fremantle, North to an extent).
Sydney and Geelong prove you can genuinely rebuild on the fly.
Fremantle prove that you can't.

Oh well. Now afl.com.au goes into hibernation for the next 4-5 months, and it's straight over to cricinfo.com!

liked beverage medal presentation to murphy learnt continued rule changes creates more grey areas to an already over ruled game hated medias persistence in lets sack a coach or player mentality

Liked: The season finale, the Dogs getting up. Ripper story. Also enjoyed the end of the Hawks reign, good to see someone new.
Learnt: Comp was a lot more even than we might have thought at the start of the year. Hawks and Swans didn't prove to be standout teams like they had in other seasons.
Hated: The media. Worse than ever with their lies and bias. Also hated Carlton's year. I enjoyed that we were no longer bottom of the ladder, but it's depressing watching and seeing how far off they still are

Liked: Bulldogs winning flag from 7th with 4 finals wins in a year, and each final won with 100% Bulldogs heart. A great Cinderella story. If not us, then you Bulldogs - thanks for a gutsy head-over-the-ball 2016.

Learnt: You can grease up your arms before every first centre bounce of the year and still be all-Australian captain. You can be suspended for 12 months for being a recipient of performance enhancing substances in a program that claims the careers of CEOs, presidents, club legends and coaches, but still keep the AFL's highest individual honour. You can lay a perfect tackle and induce an incorrect disposal and more often than not its 'play on'.

Hated: Too many rounds: please move to 17 rounds and I promise to buy more sponsors products and watch more broadcaster TV. Playing each team once will make each game special. Stadium advertising; some on too-bright animated LCD ribbons around the ground during the game, some painted on to the 'hallowed turf': Please just get rid of all of it, at least during the finals. It all looks very cheap; the NFL don't do it and the NBA try hard to minimise its impact.

Looking forward to: Season 2017. GO HAWKS!

Last edited:
Loved: A 62 year premiership drought being broken by the only side not to lose a final. Even though my team didn't win it, I'm happy with the result.

Learnt: You dont need big name players in your backline to win a flag. I wonder what odds you would've gotten that Hamling and Fletcher Roberts would be premiership players along with Shane Biggs.

Hated: The free kick Hawthorn crap as well as the media in general. Too many ex-players with an axe to grind and less than half a brain.

The fixture was also a joke. Brisbane's start to the season was ridiculous when compared with North and Sydney in particular. AFL talk about equalisation yet they can't make the fixture fairer for struggling teams to at least give them a fighting chance. No one wants to see a side have their season over by Round 10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked:
Deliberate OOB AND 10m rule (might be unpopular, but I reckon it made the game flow better)
Bulldogs winning the flag
Crows defying the odds to finish 5th
Geelong losing the PF
Blues and Dees light at the end of the tunnel.
A new? commentator getting a go for his commentary skills, not due to being an ex player

Learned:
Footy is infinitely better when there are more than 2 or 3 competitive teams.
The general football supporting public are still in the stone age when it comes to gender, sexuality and race issues.
Professional women's footy has a place.
Teams are willing to sell out their legends (Geelong last season are now not alone - ahem North)

Disliked:
The fact that the Giants are coming into dynasty time right as my club gets it s**t together.
The lottery that is the MRP and the clear favouritism showed to certain players/teams (looking at you S Mitchell)
Dennis Cometti retiring. Sad day. So many pearlers...never be another like him.
Injuries to champions like Ablett and Fyfe.
Rob Murphy missing out on the flag.

Theres so much more but my brain is mush this tuesday morning.

Loved: A 62 year premiership drought being broken by the only side not to lose a final. Even though my team didn't win it, I'm happy with the result.

Learnt: You dont need big name players in your backline to win a flag. I wonder what odds you would've gotten that Hamling and Fletcher Roberts would be premiership players along with Shane Biggs.

Hated: The free kick Hawthorn crap as well as the media in general. Too many ex-players with an axe to grind and less than half a brain.

The fixture was also a joke. Brisbane's start to the season was ridiculous when compared with North and Sydney in particular. AFL talk about equalisation yet they can't make the fixture fairer for struggling teams to at least give them a fighting chance. No one wants to see a side have their season over by Round 10.

Have a look at Adelaide's start to the season.

Yes, agree but Adelaide were at least a top 8 side in 2015 and won a final.

and our double ups were all teams that were expected to make the finals, yes all 5.
Port finished 9th and Freo sucked in the end, but before the season all 5 were under $2.00 to make the finals (others being WC, Geelong and North)

Geelong finished what 9th last year? Got a bunch of experienced players including the brownlow medalist and had Essendon and Brisbane twice.

Could even be the biggest league endorsed rort of all time.. I think there's a thread about that somewhere.

Last edited:
and our double ups were all teams that were expected to make the finals, yes all 5.
Port finished 9th and Freo sucked in the end, but before the season all 5 were under $2.00 to make the finals (others being WC, Geelong and North)

Geelong finished what 9th last year? Got a bunch of experienced players including the brownlow medalist and had Essendon and Brisbane twice.

Could even be the biggest league endorsed rort of all time.. I think there's a thread about that somewhere.

The only truly equal way to do the fixture would be to play 17 rounds with home games alternating each year e.g Hawks play Crows in Melbourne then vice versa the next year.

This model would make it more equitable in terms of travel in that no one would be travelling to Perth, Adelaide, Sydney or Queensland twice in a year (excluding finals).

However this will never happen due to reduced revenue and less control over the season for the AFL.

liked no loved- David Noble and Chris Fagan appointments.

learnt- success starts at the top.

hated- losing, been too bloody long.

Liked
- The atmosphere on GF day. Comparing it to 2014, there was just such a positive vibe between the supporters around me on the day. Seeing the doggies faithful in tears, hugging etc when they knew they had it was special. Certainly not happy my boys missed out but still glad I got to be a part of it none-the-less.

- My clubs ability to make another GF even given the severe turnover of experience the last few years and fresh young talent we unearthed. DoubleA, Papley, X.Richards, Naismith, Hewett, Marsh, Newman (NEAFL), Lloyd, Jonesy... Was a great year for our development. We had as young a side as the dogs (although you wouldn't believe it based on the media coverage) and they managed to exceed my expectations (yet again). Hope they do so again next year!

- The even year overall. Such a good top 8 in the end IMO. Each week I felt like a winner could have come from anywhere as any club on it's day was a danger game. Great to see a more competitive season with clubs like the Dogs, Saints and Carlton all showing glimpses of rebounding. It's good for the game and makes the year more exciting.

Learnt
- The rules have changed... Well, the interpretations have anyway. And they seem to change weekly and between clubs.

- I've also learnt ducking down into the pack to extract the ball and getting hit high is "play on" as you "ducked" into it but dropping at the knees & literally wrapping your opponents arm around your own head is fine... WTF?

- GWS have chosen their direction and they are going to have to live by it. There are different ways of being successful and certainly different ways of carrying yourself. It's why the dogs were respected and had the majority of Australia in support when they met in the PF. I'm sure Gil and the AFL would have hoped it'd been the other way around but Australia isn't going to exactly jump on board the GWS bandwagon if they're acting like arrogant flogs... The dogs showed them up on & off the field and deserved a GF and Australia's respect more-so than a GWS that's achieved nothing thus far.

Hated
- The umpiring overall started well I thought but slowly went downhill as the season progressed. The umpiring in the GF was something I hate to harp on (I don't want to be a sore loser) but it was (IMO) a major deciding factor in the outcome. Don't get me wrong, the dogs showed the kind of heart & fight that wins premierships and who knows what could have been had the umpiring been similar to the H&A season. However, having 0 free kicks given in 2 quarters or having 100+ tackles for 0 HTB means something is seriously wrong with our system &/or the people charged to interpret and apply the rules.

- The media. Does no one fact check anything these days? The media just run dribble and the masses lap it up as gospel. Frustrates me to no end when a persons opinions are presented as facts. Their use of "sources" is ridiculous and their desire to manufacture outcomes or perceptions of certain clubs/players/people is getting too far out of hand. They are saturating the game with often biased/incorrect "facts" (i.e. opinions) and IMO it's ruining the enjoyment of the game and will start to turn people away if they keep it up.

LIKED:
- A season where the makeup of the top 8 was never quite set
- No sacked coaches before the end of the season
- Changing of the premiership guard to a team who deserves some success

LEARNED:
-
Greater Western Frankensteins are coming
- Occasionally, the AFL can get rule changes right

HATED:

- No Carlton games in Adelaide again
- Channel 7 commentary again
- Political and fourth-estate issues dominating headlines again

liked: Bulldogs winning the flag despite having money on the swans.

Hated: Freo finishing bottom 4. Eddie Betts having a banana thrown at him. Which could of been worse such as a beer bottle.

learnt: Teams can win a flag from 5th to 8th spot under the current finals system. In a way it seemed overdue. I always thought a Collingwood or Essendon or Hawks could of done it by playing 4 straight finals games at the mcg

Liked ,Doggies premership,the stuff of blockbuster movies but when you watch those movies,you think to yourself,this couldn't happen in real life,Doggies put paid to that with an amazing finals campaign with their captain out and many others.
Hated,Richmond had a shocker of a season.
Learnt,Beveridge will be the next superstar coach of the modern era.
Also Richmonds bottom 8 players need either to develop more or we make wiser recruiting decisions.
Hopefully Tiger Balme can right the ship again but this is the pressure that is the Richmond Football Club,now he is back in Richmond colours,the media will have swords ready for him.

Liked: Doggies winning the Grand Final.
Learned: You can't do well in the finals with a Dad's Army defence - I'm looking at you, Geelong! Also, having the best ball-getter in the competition hitting an opposition target 50% of the time isn't great either.
Hated: I thought I could never dislike an AFL CEO as much as Dimwitriou but I was wrong: take a bow, Gillon McLachlan.

LIKED:
Games into our youngsters
Zach Merrett's ball winning ability
The Doggies for finally reaching the mountaintop (shows everyone it can be done outside top 4)
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti
#FREEKICKHAWTHORN

LEARNED:
That kicking for goal is even more crucial now and how players can't kick at 60% or better accuracy baffles me
Joe D is coming along nicely and will be so much better when he has some help
Geelong need to not be a 3 player reliant team (Danger, Selwood, Tomahawk)
GWS and Doggies will be around the mark for a while

HATED:
The commentary - from monotonous boredom to outrageous bias we need some callers who call the game properly please. Thank god for NIRS.
Eddie McGuire - less commenting on other teams. Worry about getting your own team up the ladder and dealing with a guy who THINKS he can coach
Deliberate out of bounds - confusing!
Holding the ball - apparently non-existent?
Score review - Fob off. Cant they put sensors/laser guidance/detectors in the goal posts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back