#22 Josh Kelly (Pick 2, 2013 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved the look of Josh Kelly but he didn't seem to cement his place last year. What are his chances of locking in his place this year with the sub rule gone? Is he talented enough, or will he be pushed out?

4th in the B&F and winner of the Coaches Award - think he went all right this year - sub rule or no sub rule.
;)

I realise this is exceedingly late, but I was suspended from Big Footy around the time, so never actually posted this. Huge oversight on my part.

Round 14 against Carlton saw Josh play his 50th game. I believe this was one of the best banners of the year (but I'm biased for my boy)

IMG_1321.JPG

Oh, and he did - kicked 2:1 that day while gathering 22 possessions at 81% efficiency and laying 7 tackles.

Comparing Josh's stats from last year to his first couple you can see the leap he took. By every measurable stat he has improved. The very definition of "taking it to the next level"

2013-14: 36 games
K: 340 : 9.44
H: 294 : 8.17
D: 634 : 17.6

M: 125 : 3.47
T: 124 : 3.44

RB: 33 : 0.92
IF : 79 : 2.19
CL: 55 : 1.52

G:B - 20:19
GA: 19

2016: 24 games
K: 301 : 12.54
H: 265 : 11.04
D: 566 : 23.58

M: 90 : 3.75
T: 94 : 3.91

RB: 35 : 1.46
IF: 102 : 4.25
CL: 62 : 2.58

G:B - 14:16
GA: 18

Could have been slightly more accurate in front of goals, but even there he kicked more per game this year than he did over his first two season.

IMG_4420.jpg

Kelly to Captain GIANTS
Adam Curley, AFL.com.au & GIANTS Media February 15, 2017 1:14 PM

He's got really good values and he's a really popular young man around our club.
GIANTS Coach, Leon Cameron

Josh Kelly’s breakthrough 2016 season and impressive preseason has culminated with the midfielder being named as captain for the GIANTS’ opening JLT Community Series fixture.

The 22-year-old told reporters on Wednesday that he can’t wait to lead a young GIANTS team against the West Coast Eagles at Narranderra Sports Stadium on Saturday.

"It's very humbling and extremely exciting, I'm just hanging to get out there and lead our young group on the weekend,” he said.

"It's something I've been working on, with my leadership I've always felt like I've led by example, but being a bit more vocal and instructive out on the field is an area I've been working on, and this will be a good chance to do that."

GIANTS coach Leon Cameron surprised Kelly by announcing his new role at training on Wednesday morning, and the news was greeted with raucous applause from his teammates.

"He's got really good values and he's a really popular young man around our club," Cameron said.

"He's only a young player but he's more like a six or seven-year player, he's played a lot of footy for a fourth-year player.

"He's starting to realise that he needs to open up his mouth a lot more and demand from other players and I've seen that over the pre-season, so with all that wrapped up into one, it was a pretty obvious pick for us."

Kelly, the GIANTS' second pick in the 2013 NAB AFL Draft, played 18 games in each of his first two seasons, but while he showed glimpses of his immense talent and skill level, as most young players do, the wingman found it hard to produce on a consistent basis and was dropped twice in 2015.

A physically stronger player emerged from the 2016 pre-season and it translated into some brilliant on-field form, with Kelly averaging 23.6 disposals and not missing a game for the season, on his way to a fourth-placed finish in the best and fairest.

"I always had the confidence in myself that I could keep lifting my standards, and I feel last year was an improvement, but at the same time I think I've still got a lot more to offer," he said.

"I've addressed a few things in my game over the pre-season and I'm hoping I can keep on the incline and improve again this year."

The GIANTS will leave plenty of experience in Sydney when they head to Narrandera in country New South Wales to take on West Coast this Saturday.

Co-captains Callan Ward and Phil Davis, along with club champion Toby Greene, Heath Shaw, Stephen Coniglio, Tom Scully, Dylan Shiel and Jeremy Cameron are among the big names being rested, while Shane Mumford (elbow), Steve Johnson (thumb) and Brett Deledio (calf) are still recovering from injuries.

Despite some of the club’s stars missing out, a number of experienced GIANTS will make the trip to Narrandera.

“Guys like Josh are going to be playing, so that’s Jonny Patton, Adam Tomlinson, Aidan Corr and Matt Buntine, ” Cameron said.

“They’re keen to play because it’s been two and a half months of pre-season and they’re probably getting sick of playing against each other.”

Giants Fan Day March 5 2017

490976-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

MVPOTM_Revealed_Kelly-760x438.jpg

GIANT KELLY IS PLAYERS’ CHOICE FOR MAY
By Staff Writers May 31, 2017

GWS Giants midfielder Josh Kelly’s outstanding form has been recognised by his peers with the AFL Players’ Association MVP of the Month award for May.

Kelly got the nod with 25 percent of the player votes, ahead of Geelong’s Patrick Dangerfield (23 percent) and Richmond’s Dustin Martin (17 percent).

Key defenders Alex Rance and Michael Hurley, along with Collingwood skipper Scott Pendlebury completed the six nominees put to the players by the MVP winners panel.

Dual AFLPA MVP winner Chris Judd says Kelly has taken his game to a new level in 2017.

“Kelly is now one of the competition’s elite midfielders — he’s a beautiful mover and his left foot is a weapon,” Judd said.

“Speculation and debate around his playing future has not hurt his performance, in fact, he’s got better.”

The 22-year-old averaged 31 disposals, six clearances and more than seven tackles in the month of May, which took in rounds 7-10 and three wins for the Giants.

Kelly is now automatically nominated for the end-of-season AFL Players’ Association MVP Award (Leigh Matthews Trophy).

Adelaide’s Rory Sloane was the MVP of the Month for the March/April period.

VOTING PROCESS

• The MVP winners (Leigh Matthews, Chris Judd, Gerard Healy and Tim Watson) nominate six players they believe to be the best for the month
  • Current players will then vote to decide who they believe is the MVP of the Month from the six nominees
  • The monthly winner is automatically nominated for the end-of-season AFL Players’ MVP Award (Leigh Matthews Trophy).
VOTING PERIODS

March/April — Rounds 1-6

May — Rounds 7-10

June — Rounds 11-15

July — Rounds 16-19

August — Rounds 20-23

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tonight named 3rd in the Leigh Matthews behind Dusty and Danger and comfortably ahead of Sloan and Franklin.

Also named in the Best 22 under 22.

Recognition of an outstanding season.

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Co-captain Josh Kelly and star defender Sam Taylor have been recognised for their outstanding seasons with inclusions in the 40-man Therabody All-Australian Squad.

Kelly had another impressive season in the midfield and will be looking to secure his second All-Australian call up, while Taylor has not previously been selected. Playing in 21 games this season, Kelly led the GIANTS from the front averaging 26.7 disposals, 14 kicks and 12.6 handballs a game, including kicking nine goals along the way.

JK 200.png

GIANTS star Josh Kelly says it’s a special but surreal feeling as he gets set to become just the sixth player in GIANTS history to play 200 games for the club in Saturday’s clash with the Kangaroos at ENGIE Stadium (formerly GIANTS Stadium).

Drafted by the club as a highly touted teenager out of Victoria with the second pick in the 2013 AFL Draft, Kelly burst out of the blocks to win the GIANTS’ Rising Star award in his first season before quickly establishing himself as one of the competition’s most damaging midfielders.

Fast forward more than a decade, and with two Kevin Sheedy Medals and an All-Australian blazer to his name, the former co-captain and current GIANTS vice-captain will further cement his legacy as a club great on Saturday when he becomes the fastest player to reach 200 AFL games for the GIANTS.

“Looking back [at my career], it does fly, and it’s a bit surreal to be playing 200 games,” Kelly said ahead of the milestone match. “It’s definitely not something that sinks in or feels like a massive achievement in the moment, but it is something I’ll be very proud of going forward. To be part of that group [from the club’s early days] and the first bunch of GIANTS to play 200 games is special, and I feel a real special connection to the club and those players. They are some of my best mates and people who I really respect and look up to, so to be joining them in that category is pretty cool. I’ve always felt a real connection to the club, not only for taking the chance on me but for the opportunity to be part of the first wave of GIANTS coming through. That’s something that can’t be taken from us and I’m very proud of that.”

more in the full story

Remove this Banner Ad

Back