Recruiting News for 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

toohard

Debutant
Nov 24, 2011
Wimmera
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Pekin and Young the biggest names leaving... anyone else?

Not many In's at this stage aside from coaching staff, Roberts at Demons and Fisher at Saints

Coaches
Ararat: Hosking(?)
Dimboola: McKinnon
Horsham: Dalziell/Roberts
Horsham Saints: Fisher
MM: Cameron
Nhill: Bennett(?)
Stawell: Thomas(?)
Warrack: McKenzie

Pretty sure Tom Eckel is coaching Stawell next year.

Pooipooimoimoi

Draftee
Oct 26, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
I heard the demons picked up wade and mibus? Also that Christopher could be coming home from Glenelg? Could be some handy talls that they lacked last year!

oldbomber

Debutant
Apr 22, 2010
Horsham
AFL Club
Essendon
http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-6210-0-0-0&a=CLEAR

Couple of quality players heading out which need to be covered in Morris and Thomas, however Stawell certainly look to have opened the cheque book again after falling short in 2016.

Horsham on the front foot early. How do people see Wade and Mibus going back in the WFL?

I think Wade and Mibus will be handy in WFL still. They might have slowed down a bit but they havnt got any smaller and good quality talls are hard to find. With their leadership also i think horsham will be a better side next year and push for top 3 again.

oldbomber

Debutant
Apr 22, 2010
Horsham
AFL Club
Essendon
Top 4 in burras, stawell and horsham teams x 2 were a long way ahead of the rest last year and unless any of the bottom 4 recruit really well its hard to see them making up so much ground over a pre season to challenge.

Hope im wrong but the likes of warrak, ararat, nhill and dimmy could all just be fighting for 5th again. If warrak made finals last year with only 5 wins it begs the question....do we really need a top 5 in an 8 team comp???

I personally think a top 4 is more suitable. It is more of an achievement to make finals, could shorten the program by a week and until the league has 9 or more clubs again i just think it makes sense.

However I believe WFL will probably keep the 5 as it means more finals and more $$ for them.

slotmachine13

Rookie
Nov 4, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Stawell look the team to beat.
I see they have signed Travis Graham from Warrnambool who has been a goal kicking machine. Add him into the mix with mantell , lang, and BJ birch i think it's just a matter of how well all these guns can gel together.

slotmachine13

Rookie
Nov 4, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
David Lang. Coached Rup this year and has played there for last few years. Great set of hands and good kick at goal. Will benefit being in good side. Will be licking he's lips at thought of Eckle & Mantell hitting him lace out on the regular

jwshrive

Debutant
Feb 20, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Top 4 in burras, stawell and horsham teams x 2 were a long way ahead of the rest last year and unless any of the bottom 4 recruit really well its hard to see them making up so much ground over a pre season to challenge.

Hope im wrong but the likes of warrak, ararat, nhill and dimmy could all just be fighting for 5th again. If warrak made finals last year with only 5 wins it begs the question....do we really need a top 5 in an 8 team comp???

I personally think a top 4 is more suitable. It is more of an achievement to make finals, could shorten the program by a week and until the league has 9 or more clubs again i just think it makes sense.

However I believe WFL will probably keep the 5 as it means more finals and more $$ for them.

Yeah a fair argument there, but I think it's better to give more teams finals experience (and the top side a week off). Priority should be given to getting us back to a nine or ten team comp in my opinion though.

oldbomber

Debutant
Apr 22, 2010
Horsham
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah a fair argument there, but I think it's better to give more teams finals experience (and the top side a week off). Priority should be given to getting us back to a nine or ten team comp in my opinion though.

Yeah also a good argument as a week off is a good reward for the minor premiership.

I 100% agree wimmera should be a 9 or 10 team comp if district league has ballooned to 12 clubs...time for some of the more stronger district league clubs who have had ample success over the years to finally grow a pair and step up!

The likes of Kalkee, laharum, southern mallee giants and maybe harrow balmoral in particular would be more than competitive. Unfortuneatly i dont think this will happen until vcfl forces some clubs up in a few years after this longer term countty football restructure plan is sorted and put into action though.

jwshrive

Debutant
Feb 20, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah also a good argument as a week off is a good reward for the minor premiership.

I 100% agree wimmera should be a 9 or 10 team comp if district league has ballooned to 12 clubs...time for some of the more stronger district league clubs who have had ample success over the years to finally grow a pair and step up!

The likes of Kalkee, laharum, southern mallee giants and maybe harrow balmoral in particular would be more than competitive. Unfortuneatly i dont think this will happen until vcfl forces some clubs up in a few years after this longer term countty football restructure plan is sorted and put into action though.
Yes, a lot was made of that restructure and we were told to expect big things by about 2018. But, by the looks, we've had one league disbanded (which was happening anyway), and introduced a points system and a salary cap, both of which I'm happy to support but which I doubt are going to help the bottom teams move up the ladder (in either league). So I'm still pretty skeptical about it all at the moment :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back