Tertiary and Continuing The Law Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So graduated in November and still not even a sniff of a full time job :(

Applying for everything and anything that i can possibly think of to use my law degree in some way but the absolute silence, not even rejection letters/emails, is crushing.

Does it really make such a large difference between being a Graduate and being Admitted?

It's not easy out there. If you go down the path of getting admitted, you can try to impress the partners at whichever firm you do your work experience? Also once you're admitted, you can also go down the path of being a contract lawyer. They get paid very well on a per hour basis, and it can lead to permanent employment if you impress.

Try and get a job with a government agency or in local government. Select your area well and you can transition across well.

The pay and conditions are often very good at the junior end as well.

Try and get a job with a government agency or in local government. Select your area well and you can transition across well.

The pay and conditions are often very good at the junior end as well.

WA government has a freeze on employment, won't accept applications from anyone not already employed in a government department til at least June.

It's just all around s**t.

So landed a 12 month contract with the ATO as a Compliance Officer starting next week!

Anyone have any insight into a compliance role or with the ATO in general?

Tomorrow's budget should be an indicator. If Malc gives ASIC some more money for surveillance and compliance then happy days for you.

ScoMo via The Guardian said:
And on multinational tax, the government is establishing a new 1,000-strong taskforce and is implementing a diverted profits tax – a so-called Google tax – similar to that in place in the UK. It says these and other measures will raise an extra $3.9bn over four years.

Shoei

How did you go?

Hey hey!

So i've been in the job for about 5 months now, doing Superannuation Guarantee Audits and enforcement mainly but started this week training to doing Self Managed Super Fund work.

Superannuation stuff has been pretty easy and not really law related, although have done a few Status of the worker cases (deciding if someone is an Employee or contractor). Self Managed Super Funds looks to be a lot more interpreting legislation and applying the law in regards to compliance.

The work isn't super hard, the pay is good and the people i work with are generally pretty nice. My bosses are always keen to introduce me to the litigation teams here in Perth whenever the opportunity arises and are keen for me to pursue any other jobs in the ATO that are more law related.

All in all a good job i think!

Hey hey!

So i've been in the job for about 5 months now, doing Superannuation Guarantee Audits and enforcement mainly but started this week training to doing Self Managed Super Fund work.

Superannuation stuff has been pretty easy and not really law related, although have done a few Status of the worker cases (deciding if someone is an Employee or contractor). Self Managed Super Funds looks to be a lot more interpreting legislation and applying the law in regards to compliance.

The work isn't super hard, the pay is good and the people i work with are generally pretty nice. My bosses are always keen to introduce me to the litigation teams here in Perth whenever the opportunity arises and are keen for me to pursue any other jobs in the ATO that are more law related.

All in all a good job i think!

I love happy endings!

So, I've got my first end of year exam for Year 12 in 5 days. Would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. My SAC grades have been pretty high all year, likely averaging 85-95 across the year so far, first ranked at my school for a few subjects - notably English and History Revolutions which I am fairly certain gets marked up. I can't seem to decide what courses to apply for, but this is what I've got at the moment.

1. Arts/JD - University of Melbourne
2. Law/Arts - Monash
3. Law - Swinburne
4. Arts/Law - Deakin
5. Criminology/Law - La Trobe
6. Law - La Trobe
7. Law - Deakin
8. Criminology/Law - Deakin

Was wondering what people thought of each course, what they have heard/accounts of their own experiences?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

So, I've got my first end of year exam for Year 12 in 5 days. Would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. My SAC grades have been pretty high all year, likely averaging 85-95 across the year so far, first ranked at my school for a few subjects - notably English and History Revolutions which I am fairly certain gets marked up. I can't seem to decide what courses to apply for, but this is what I've got at the moment.

2. Law/Arts - Monash
3. Law - Swinburne
4. Arts/Law - Deakin
6. Law - La Trobe
7. Law - Deakin

Was wondering what people thought of each course, what they have heard/accounts of their own experiences?

I'd lead with the Monash. Firstly, you're in law straight off. You don't need to worry about having to gain entry post grad. Secondly, it'll be over quicker. Should only be 5 years not 6. This allows you to either spend less time at uni and get to work quicker (if that's your thing) or alternatively you could drag the degree out by 6 or 12 months though either travel (often after going on exchange) or by only doing 3 subjects and ensuring better marks. Thirdly, you're not there with Melbourne Uni kids :p. Seriously though, it's cheaper which may be a consideration even if you're using the modern equal of hecs.

I'd also consider which is easiest for you to get to. You really don't want to be on public transport for 3 hours a day or spending a heap of time in traffic.

Just curious however, why is 7 (law) above 8 (crim) when you have Crim/Law & Law around the other way for La Trobe?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd lead with the Monash. Firstly, you're in law straight off. You don't need to worry about having to gain entry post grad. Secondly, it'll be over quicker. Should only be 5 years not 6. This allows you to either spend less time at uni and get to work quicker (if that's your thing) or alternatively you could drag the degree out by 6 or 12 months though either travel (often after going on exchange) or by only doing 3 subjects and ensuring better marks. Thirdly, you're not there with Melbourne Uni kids :p. Seriously though, it's cheaper which may be a consideration even if you're using the modern equal of hecs.
Firstly, thank you generously for the response.

Secondly. Does all of the above apply to the traditional Law (Honours) Undergraduate Degree or the Law/Arts degree I have listed? Or both? The one I've got at numero duo is an alternative pathway into the Honours program, simply because I can see myself pinching a 90 ATAR (min requirement for Law/Arts) but not a 98 (Law - Honours). The essence of it, at least for me, is completing my first year in the Law/Arts course and then transferring to straight Law (Honours) for my second year. Or possibly Law/Arts (Honours)

I'd also consider which is easiest for you to get to. You really don't want to be on public transport for 3 hours a day or spending a heap of time in traffic.
Planning to live on campus or thereabouts as I live in the middle of nowhere

Just curious however, why is 7 (law) above 8 (crim) when you have Crim/Law & Law around the other way for La Trobe?
After extensive research - descriptions, respective requirements, durations, career prospects and general standards of each university, that was my preferred order. It's changed just about every single day since I filed my application, hence the cry for help to my more informed comrades on this side of BF

Secondly. Does all of the above apply to the traditional Law (Honours) Undergraduate Degree or the Law/Arts degree I have listed? Or both? The one I've got at numero duo is an alternative pathway into the Honours program, simply because I can see myself pinching a 90 ATAR (min requirement for Law/Arts) but not a 98 (Law - Honours). The essence of it, at least for me, is completing my first year in the Law/Arts course and then transferring to straight Law (Honours) for my second year. Or possibly Law/Arts (Honours)

After extensive research - descriptions, respective requirements, durations, career prospects and general standards of each university, that was my preferred order. It's changed just about every single day since I filed my application, hence the cry for help to my more informed comrades on this side of BF

So I've got a stupid question... Why Law and Arts? What are you ultimately interested in doing? Or if you study for interest, what are you interested in learning?

2. Law/Arts - Monash
3. Law - Swinburne
4. Arts/Law - Deakin
6. Law - La Trobe
7. Law - Deakin

what area of law would practice?

So I've got a stupid question... Why Law and Arts? What are you ultimately interested in doing? Or if you study for interest, what are you interested in learning?
That's, again, dependent on which university I get accepted into, if any.

At Melbourne I'm interested in the politics/international studies, media/ communications and criminology components. Not entirely set in stone at the moment as to what I want to choose out of the above, once I get more information I'll probably firm on any one of them. I'm open to a wide range of careers, don't really want to be too adamant on narrowing my options given the scarcity of careers in law these days.

That's, again, dependent on which university I get accepted into, if any.

At Melbourne I'm interested in the politics/international studies, media/ communications and criminology components. Not entirely set in stone at the moment as to what I want to choose out of the above, once I get more information I'll probably firm on any one of them. I'm open to a wide range of careers, don't really want to be too adamant on narrowing my options given the scarcity of careers in law these days.

Yeah, sounds good if you are into writing, history, politics, etc. Communications is good to learn and can help a lot no matter what you choose to do.

Law could complement politics and media well by providing skills to work with the legal system and form logical arguments. Law is also good for improving your writing in that it trains you to be more aware of the way that you use language and possible interpretations.

Obviously Arts/Law wouldn't provide any STEM skills, but I've seen nothing to indicate that you are interested in going into those areas.

Last edited:
Yeah, sounds good if you are into writing, history, politics, etc. Communications is good to learn and can help a lot no matter what you choose to do.

Law could complement politics and media well by providing skills to work with the legal system and form logical arguments. Law is also good for improving your writing in that it trains you to be more aware of the way that you use language and possible interpretations.

Obviously Arts/Law wouldn't provide any STEM skills, but I've seen nothing to indicate that you are interested in going into those areas.
Thanks for the insight! I'm not a STEM person in the slightest, not sure that works to my benefit in terms of future job prospects.

Out of curiosity, where were/are you enrolled and what are your thoughts on the course?

I'm open to a wide range of careers, don't really want to be too adamant on narrowing my options given the scarcity of careers in law these days.

Good plan. Not only are there limited opportunities, but it's very hard to judge what area you want to work in until you've had some experience.

I was set on working in IP law, with commercial law as a backup. A decade and a bit on, and I have zero interest in any area other than criminal law.

Worth keeping in mind the work-life balance you want as well. Some areas require a hell of a lot more of a personal sacrifice. Some people can handle that and even thrive on it (they certainly make a lot more money than I do!), but others burn out pretty fast and regret their choice.

Then there's the solicitor/barrister dilemma.

Thankfully you shouldn't have to worry about those things for a few years!

Thanks for the insight! I'm not a STEM person in the slightest, not sure that works to my benefit in terms of future job prospects.

Out of curiosity, where were/are you enrolled and what are your thoughts on the course?

I'm a patent attorney. I studied undergrad STEM degrees and masters of IP Law. I don't have personal experience of the undergrad law or arts courses. I just know people who have taken them.

The Monash and Melbourne courses should both be good and the degrees will be well recognised (at least in Australia). So as others have said, where you want to go for uni could also be a consideration. If you live out east then Monash could be closer. Melbourne has the advantage of being near the city so you can go out in the city after uni quite easily. Also, consider if "The Melbourne Model" is better or worse for you. ANU is a third option if you ever considered going interstate.

Last edited:

Go for an undergrad law degree rather than a graduate Melbourne Model degree. You'll be out and ready to practice quicker, you're guaranteed a CSP spot (rather than having to pay through the nose for full fee). You are also assured you're actually in law right at the start of your degree.

I don't know much about law at all but my cousin's studying Engineering/Law at Monash and he loves it - travels from the western suburbs too!

Can confirm the Bryce Gibbs saga has absolutely stuffed my revision.
Contemplating the Cats' woeful trade period has got me in the shits. Not prepared for the English Exam we shall be sitting in 10 hours.

Go for an undergrad law degree rather than a graduate Melbourne Model degree. You'll be out and ready to practice quicker, you're guaranteed a CSP spot (rather than having to pay through the nose for full fee). You are also assured you're actually in law right at the start of your degree.

I don't know much about law at all but my cousin's studying Engineering/Law at Monash and he loves it - travels from the western suburbs too!

Kind of have me reconsidering wasting a spot on Melbourne. Monash appears to be the uni of choice from all accounts. I just like the idea of having my Honours by the time I've finished the degree, and I did read somewhere that Melb Degree was also internationally recognised.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back