Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
Glad I kept watching. Panik playing well above his pay grade at the moment. Still hate the shoot out.

May 4, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Glad I kept watching. Panik playing well above his pay grade at the moment. Still hate the shoot out.

Game is never over while Babcock is putting Polak and Hunwick together on the ice.

CvarjvOW8AAo5z6.jpg

Alfred_

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's falling apart for the Canucks after a 4-0 start to the season they are currently getting rolled by the Kings 3-0 in the second.

Alfred_

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
And 3-2 end of 2nd. May have put the kiss of death on the Kings.

crownie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I went to the Blackhawks game, my first NHL Game and it definitely lived up to the hype even though more people seemed interested in the Cubs and left with 5 minutes to go haha.

Also the Blackhawks coached got booed when introduced to the crowd, anyone know what's up with that?

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
checking out the heritage classic from earlier today... i dig the outdoor feel. how many outdoor games normally happen each season? just a couple?

Anywhere from 1-6

This year we have 4, but unlike previous years where a couple go under the common 'Stadium Series' title, each match has a unique name.

Heritage Classic - Winnipeg v Edmonton (it was interesting Winnipeg used the Mk. 1 Jets uniforms for the game, which technically belong to Arizona). An all-Canadian outdoor game (mostly, the 2014 Heritage Classic was technically still played indoors at BC Place). Was the first outdoor game in the NHL (2003), and only 4 of them have been played (2003, 2011, 2014, 2016).
Centenary Classic - Toronto v Detroit. Basically set up because NBC doesn't want Canadian teams in the Winter Classic, disguised as celebrating Toronto's centenary.
Winter Classic - St Louis v Chicago. The flagship outdoor game, but looks like NBC are going to dictate that Canadian teams don't play in it because they don't rate well (I think the saturation of outdoor games in recent years mixed with the disaster that was the 2015 Winter Classic between Washington and Chicago is impacting the ratings more than Canadian teams in the game)
Stadium Series - Pittsburgh v Philadelphia. Basically teams that want an outdoor game but miss out on getting the Winter Classic. The NHL went nuts with these in 2014, playing 4 of them (including 3 in a week), which pretty much killed the novelty of outdoor games.

Jun 14, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Anywhere from 1-6

This year we have 4, but unlike previous years where a couple go under the common 'Stadium Series' title, each match has a unique name.

Heritage Classic - Winnipeg v Edmonton (it was interesting Winnipeg used the Mk. 1 Jets uniforms for the game, which technically belong to Arizona). An all-Canadian outdoor game (mostly, the 2014 Heritage Classic was technically still played indoors at BC Place). Was the first outdoor game in the NHL (2003), and only 4 of them have been played (2003, 2011, 2014, 2016).
Centenary Classic - Toronto v Detroit. Basically set up because NBC doesn't want Canadian teams in the Winter Classic, disguised as celebrating Toronto's centenary.
Winter Classic - St Louis v Chicago. The flagship outdoor game, but looks like NBC are going to dictate that Canadian teams don't play in it because they don't rate well (I think the saturation of outdoor games in recent years mixed with the disaster that was the 2015 Winter Classic between Washington and Chicago is impacting the ratings more than Canadian teams in the game)
Stadium Series - Pittsburgh v Philadelphia. Basically teams that want an outdoor game but miss out on getting the Winter Classic. The NHL went nuts with these in 2014, playing 4 of them (including 3 in a week), which pretty much killed the novelty of outdoor games.

Awesome. Thanks heaps for the info

It would be less of a problem if they were better shared around and didn't keep going to teams like the Blackhawks, Rangers, Caps and admittedly the Pens.

Given there are 82 games in a season I think people are still getting excited to see one outdoors.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
It would be less of a problem if they were better shared around and didn't keep going to teams like the Blackhawks, Rangers, Caps and admittedly the Pens.

Given there are 82 games in a season I think people are still getting excited to see one outdoors.

If they could get through a year without the Blackhawks playing outside that would be great :D

Whoever is in charge of preparing the ice in Brooklyn should be relieved of their duties.
Horrid.

I'm listening to the Habs radio and they quite casually say "one of the worst rinks in the NHL."

I'm going to a Pens @ Islanders game in November (also a Pens @ Rangers game) and I had to make sure to get a seat that didn't have huge viewing restrictions.

In case people don't know, behind one of the goals there is essentially a vertical wall and then the seats start up high. This is fine for watching a smaller basketball court but the hockey rink goes right to the wall and there are hence some seats where you can only view about 3/4 of the ice and miss one of the goals completely. The CEO's response to this was "you can watch the game on your phone."

garber.jpg

Back