news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jon Jones has had the supplements he was taking in the lead up to UFC 200 tested and the 2 substances were present in the entire batch (USADA conducted the test).

He will be back in the octagon very shortly.

I gotta say i doubted him on this, but it looks like his in the clear. At worst he may get 6 months but he will be fighting early next year.

Last edited:

Good to see Jones back. Putting all the bs aside... He is great to watch

Cruz vs who??

Totally not interested in this fight. Garbrandt's been around the top 5-10 for all of 5 mins. I'd have much preferred Cruz fight one of Dodson or Lineker, or even say a superfight against Edgar or Mightymouse.

It's really been between Garbrandt or TJ for the next shot. Lineker needs to make weight and if Dodson won the decision he still would have needed another fight, in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty much what Jab said. Dodson has only had 2 fights at 135 since his return, his last was a loss, the one before was a win over a guy not even in the top 10. Lineker is a huge risk for a title fight when he can't make weight half the time. TJ would have been the most sensible imo and the match up I was expecting but I guess they just want to ride off Garbrandt's hype.

Its been announced that it is Codys turn.

giphy1.gif

Oh, wrong Cody :D

Lineker missing weight at 135 recently was deemed a scales mishap wasn't it? He missed a bunch of times at Flyweight (125) so 135 shouldn't be too stressful for him, particularly with the right motivation.

I think I'm just getting tired of this Team alpha fail rubbish.. Haha.

Faber to retire after the Pickett fight. He's had a great career and it's time to hang up the gloves.
I just read this. put on some great fights. I wonder if Pickett would consider retirement too. He doesn't seem to be doing too well recently with only one win in his last 5. I remember someone in the crowd pinched the hat of his head as he was walking out for his last fight and he looked pissed! Maybe it threw him off a bit

I just read this. put on some great fights. I wonder if Pickett would consider retirement too. He doesn't seem to be doing too well recently with only one win in his last 5. I remember someone in the crowd pinched the hat of his head as he was walking out for his last fight and he looked pissed! Maybe it threw him off a bit

Yeah I think that this might be a double retirement fight. Both guys can be proud of what they have done for the sport, but Faber isn't going to struggle for money. I hope that he enjoys the Californian lifestyle and enjoys retirement.

Just saw something on Sherdog about the new owners planning to reduce the number of cards to 30. That's about a dozen cards less than last year and the year before, and a dozen less than the number of cards already passed this year. What's everyone's thoughts on this?

If it means we get to see a cull of a lot of mediocre fighters then I'm all for it. I'm happy to see more stacked cards at the expense of less frequent events. It gives the events a lot more exclusivity and excitement to build for each card. Not just any decent fighter can make it to a UFC card if we've got less events and it's essentially quality over quantity. That said, I do some times enjoy those lesser cards as they do usually have some unexpectedly exciting fights. Less cards also means less opportunities for a lot of fighters and there's every chance we could miss the opportunity to really find a diamond in the rough.

There was a time in 2012 or 2013 when I could actually watch 85% of the cards a year. The last few years I've probably only managed to watch 70% at most, with only the PPV events and a select few Fight Night events having me excited the week leading up to the card.

Just saw something on Sherdog about the new owners planning to reduce the number of cards to 30. That's about a dozen cards less than last year and the year before, and a dozen less than the number of cards already passed this year. What's everyone's thoughts on this?

If it means we get to see a cull of a lot of mediocre fighters then I'm all for it. I'm happy to see more stacked cards at the expense of less frequent events. It gives the events a lot more exclusivity and excitement to build for each card. Not just any decent fighter can make it to a UFC card if we've got less events and it's essentially quality over quantity. That said, I do some times enjoy those lesser cards as they do usually have some unexpectedly exciting fights. Less cards also means less opportunities for a lot of fighters and there's every chance we could miss the opportunity to really find a diamond in the rough.

There was a time in 2012 or 2013 when I could actually watch 85% of the cards a year. The last few years I've probably only managed to watch 70% at most, with only the PPV events and a select few Fight Night events having me excited the week leading up to the card.

I must say I can't argue with anything you've said at all there, however that's one thing i've loved about UFC that cards are on pretty much once a fortnight, and nothing beats a lazy Sunday morning and afternoon for me kicking back watching some MMA.

Highly doubtful, but maybe would be a good opportunity for some of the smaller organizations in the U.S or around the world to get broadcast through Fight Pass maybe?

I'm not sure how successful it's going to be. Is the big screen that much of an attraction? Cos by the time there are 2 of you, you can order it at home.

I also had a look on the Village website - I was more interested in what Gold Class might cost, but there wasn't any Gold Class pricing available for Crown or Doncaster.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back