Other Lawn bowls

Remove this Banner Ad

Only a third division club but big news down Claremont way - Ric Charlesworth has signed on to play pennants this year. Considering his history as an Australian hockey player and cricketer for WA, I reckon he might turn into a handy player.

Only a third division club but big news down Claremont way - Ric Charlesworth has signed on to play pennants this year. Considering his history as an Australian hockey player and cricketer for WA, I reckon he might turn into a handy player.
Agree about his ability to compete,but all learners progress boils down to who teaches them and how many DH's you can keep from destroying the learners concentration and system.

Dylan is overseas atm, so may have been unavailable?
It is true he did have a sore back post Alley Shield win.

He's just been named in the Fitzroy Lions APL04 team, so hopefully that means he has recovered.
Back injury must of been a bit overstated, if you can do a Conteki tour your back needs to be alright (and your liver)

Agree about his ability to compete,but all learners progress boils down to who teaches them and how many DH's you can keep from destroying the learners concentration and system.
The method I've found that works best is the club needs to work out who is willing to have them and teach them in a supportive rink where there won't be snipping. There are blokes at every club in the lower sides who aren't interested in playing higher because they just enjoy the social day out. Put them with these guys first as they will enjoy it. If they have come from a sporting background then promote them fast into some of the higher grades if you can. No point leaving a bloke who is new and has played competitive sport in Div 8 if he's under 50 for longer than necessary (basically until you know he is aware of the protocols of the game). It may well piss of some 75 year-old and they'll whinge at the bar, but the fact is they'll back the next week and their best days are behind them on the green, the younger bloke still has his best days in front of him.

State fours starts over here in the west tomorrow. I am leading for the premier league selector. No pressure!

Oh and we managed to draw the group of death, with three of the four skips (including mine) ex-state players.

Playing in the western victorian league and when travelling to other regions they are amazed that our greens over the competition all run at about 17 plus.
Amazingly when we play other regions they are all playing on 14-15 second greens.

State fours starts over here in the west tomorrow. I am leading for the premier league selector. No pressure!

Oh and we managed to draw the group of death, with three of the four skips (including mine) ex-state players.
Well that was a disaster.

First game - third last end, we are 16-8 up and holding two, skip tries to add the third which would have buried them but over plays it by no more than a foot, gets the kitty and we go three down. We all go to crap in the next end and drop five to be one down and then we are chasing and drop another four. Twelve shots in three ends thankyou very much. Lost the other two games as well. Just one of those days - so close to brilliance but everything seemed to go against us.

Skip was in another class though. I couldn't even see half the shots he was trying, let alone pull them off. Took out a backtoucher absolutely clean to go from one down to five up at one stage. In the rain and with winds gusting to 40kmh for most of the day.

Personally hit and miss day for me. Conditions were difficult but need to be better than that to get where I want to go. Best game was the first, and was beaten but had some very good moments in the other two.

On to pennants next week.

Well that was a disaster.

First game - third last end, we are 16-8 up and holding two, skip tries to add the third which would have buried them but over plays it by no more than a foot, gets the kitty and we go three down. We all go to crap in the next end and drop five to be one down and then we are chasing and drop another four. Twelve shots in three ends thankyou very much. Lost the other two games as well. Just one of those days - so close to brilliance but everything seemed to go against us.

Skip was in another class though. I couldn't even see half the shots he was trying, let alone pull them off. Took out a backtoucher absolutely clean to go from one down to five up at one stage. In the rain and with winds gusting to 40kmh for most of the day.

Personally hit and miss day for me. Conditions were difficult but need to be better than that to get where I want to go. Best game was the first, and was beaten but had some very good moments in the other two.

On to pennants next week.
I skipped my rink to the state play offs 2 years ago and come from 8 down to draw 2 reaters on the last end to hold game.
Other skipper with last bowl of day had to drive to save game and missed,But wait a second here,He wicked off a short bowl and wicked another and ended up being shot.
Thats bowls isnt it,gutted after

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots of disgruntled bowlers in western victoria.
We are sick of paying outrageous prices for bowls marked clothing that is 2nd rate and completely useless to bowlers needs for the cost charged just for a RVBA insignia.Plus 30$ for registration and for that we get no help or benefit for money spent.
This weekend we miss another week of bowls for the top echelon to bowl and eat on our money.
Ten bucks for socks that last half a season is beyond a joke.

Lots of disgruntled bowlers in western victoria.
We are sick of paying outrageous prices for bowls marked clothing that is 2nd rate and completely useless to bowlers needs for the cost charged just for a RVBA insignia.Plus 30$ for registration and for that we get no help or benefit for money spent.
This weekend we miss another week of bowls for the top echelon to bowl and eat on our money.
Ten bucks for socks that last half a season is beyond a joke.
Well Mr Van Peebles what I find baffling about this week is that clubs cannot use this weekend for their events like singles. Bowls Victoria has threatened fines to those who seek to run club events, yet tournaments can be held. With a crowded calendar already, it would have made sense to allow clubs to run their own events not penalise them.

Premier League run and won again. Amazing to think that Sydney were in their first finals series in 4 attempts with the players at their disposal. But I guess the quality of the sides is such that anyone can win on any given day/night. I also noted that New Zealand are holding a Premier League themselves with Australian sides partnering up with Kiwis. I hope that will be covered on Fox Sports.

Premier League run and won again. Amazing to think that Sydney were in their first finals series in 4 attempts with the players at their disposal. But I guess the quality of the sides is such that anyone can win on any given day/night. I also noted that New Zealand are holding a Premier League themselves with Australian sides partnering up with Kiwis. I hope that will be covered on Fox Sports.
Yeah, it's a continuation of the same series rather than a separate competition. It apparently rates so well that Fox Sports wanted it on more often.

There has been an interesting/strange discussion in the west about the rule requiring female players. Some think it made the competition of a poorer standard but others think it is required to get more female bowlers into the sport. I didn't see any of it this year but am firmly in the second camp. With the competition from sports like cricket, footy, rugby, etc, getting women into the sport, particularly younger ones, is only going to be getting harder. I still think it's laughable that the elite level of the sport in WA (don't know about elsewhere) is played on a Tuesday morning, but that's a conversation for another day.

The
Yeah, it's a continuation of the same series rather than a separate competition. It apparently rates so well that Fox Sports wanted it on more often.

There has been an interesting/strange discussion in the west about the rule requiring female players. Some think it made the competition of a poorer standard but others think it is required to get more female bowlers into the sport. I didn't see any of it this year but am firmly in the second camp. With the competition from sports like cricket, footy, rugby, etc, getting women into the sport, particularly younger ones, is only going to be getting harder. I still think it's laughable that the elite level of the sport in WA (don't know about elsewhere) is played on a Tuesday morning, but that's a conversation for another day.
The women certainly held their own for sure. Kristic (?) for Perth was excellent, Ryan for Murray Steamers was great and we know of Karen Murphy's exploits. It shouldn't be viewed as a tokenistic gesture, in fact I think there would be more competition to recruit the cream of world bowls. Alex Marshall is thinking of returning so that can be positive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back