Prediction Starting Best 22 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

I wasn't able to fit Webster into mine either. He'd have to really improve to keep a Montagna/Geary/Roberton/Savage out of the side and he doesn't have the versatility of a Gilbert. A few like him are going to have to really work their asses off this offseason if they want to get regular games.

Here is what I think is our best 22 for R1 if everyone is fit and in form and we're wanting to put our best team out there to win the match- as Richo and co. tend to like to do:

B: Dempster ~ Brown ~ Geary
HB: Montagna ~ Carlisle ~ Roberton
C: Riewoldt ~ Ross ~ Newnes
HF: Weller ~ Bruce ~ Billings
F: Gresham ~ McCartin ~ Membrey
R: Hickey ~ Armitage ~ Steven
I: Acres ~ Stevens ~ Savage ~ Gilbert

E: Dunstan ~ Steele ~ Webster ~ Wright ~ McKenzie ~ Lonie ~ Sinclair ~ Minchington ~ Goddard ~ Longer

The first 5 or 6 who missed out are super-stiff, but 28 don't go into 22, so some will be missing out.

One thing that stands out when looking at that side and who missed out though is that we'd lose the speed that Wright and D-Mac brought to the side in the last part of the year, when we were playing our best footy, so I could definitely see the club wanting to squeeze one or both into the side somehow if we felt we needed more speed.

Likely to be huge competition for spots, which is a great and healthy thing and I imagine selection committee meetings will go for much longer than they have in recent years!

Worth noting that exactly half of that 22 have finals experience (including the entire backline) and that 6 of the 11 have played at least one GF, with two of those 6 having played in a premiership win.

You've done a ripping job with your team arr. I reckon I'd have mine the exact same. I'd put White in the list of emergencies; very bullish about him and think he can be 1st 22 by mid year.

How well do we stack up against the teams that smashed us last year? I have matched us up against Adelaide based on teams from the AFL website (somebody want to do one vs West Coast?). The back six looks very good on paper, and you would think that we win four of those match-ups. I really like to think that our defense will tighten up by at least two goals. We are still swimming upstream in the midfield, and I'm not sure where we will find any improvement in clearances with the team listed here, unless there is improvement in players like Hickey Steven and Armitage, and further growth in players like Acres, Gresham, Dunstan, Billings and Steele. And if we're not getting our hands on the pill first up then I think our forward 6 as presented here will really miss the pressure acts of players like Wright and Minchington.

It's going to be fun watching the new boys run around. I have no doubt that our starting 22 has improved and that our list depth has deepened. But I still think if we are going to make finals the responsibility is squarely in the hands of our coaching and fitness staff.

ADELAIDE vs ST KILDA

Sam Jacobs - Matt Crouch - Brad Crouch
Tom Hickey - David Armitage - Jack Steven

Eddie Betts - Josh Jenkins - Mitch McGovern
Jarryn Geary - Nathan Brown - Sean Dempster

Tom Lynch - Taylor Walker - Wayne Milera
Dylan Roberton - Jake Carlisle - Shane Savage

Rory Atkins - Rory Sloane - Charlie Cameron
Jack Newnes - Seb Ross - Nick Riewoldt

Brodie Smith - Kyle Hartigan - Jake Lever
Jack Billings - Josh Bruce - Tim Membrey

Luke Brown - Daniel Talia - Rory Laird
Jade Gresham - Pat McCartin - Mav Weller

Kyle Cheney - Scott Thompson - Richard Douglas - Cam Ellis-Yolman
Leigh Montagna - Jack Steele, Luke Dunstan, Blake Acres

I rate Joey and the way he's playing he could comfortably play for another 2/3 season but we might need to quitely tap him on the shoulder this year for the betterment of the club.
It's an intriguing predicament. Based on last year's improvement, Ross would arguably be selected in the starting 22 before Montagna. If McKenzie was to demonstrate the same level of improvement it might shunt Montagna out of the starting defensive 6.

Comparing Average Stats 2016. ( yes the postions will change )
Dunstan / Steele /Acres/Billings/Gresham
Disposals: 17/16/18/20/15
Contested Possessions: 8/5/6/6/6
Marks 2/4/4/4/3
Clearances 6/2/4/1/2
Tackles 5/4/3/3/3
Inside 50s 2/2/3/3/3
Goals 0.3/0.4/0.8/0.4/0.6

Comparing Career Bests
Dunstan/Steele/Acres/Billings/Gresham
Disposals 29/21/28/30/25
Contested Possessions 15/16/11/10/13
Marks 8/6/8/9/4
Clearances 9/5/4/4/8
Tackles 9/10/7/6/7
Inside 50's 6/6/5/7/8
Goals 2/2/2/4/2

Dunstan is holding his spot based on being able to win a couple of contested balls, a couple of clearances, and 2 tackles per game.
He may be under pressure by all of Steele , Acres, and Gresham.
Billings just added for fun.

Comparing Average Stats 2016. ( yes the postions will change )
Dunstan / Steele /Acres/Billings/Gresham
Disposals: 17/16/18/20/15
Contested Possessions: 8/5/6/6/6
Marks 2/4/4/4/3
Clearances 6/2/4/1/2
Tackles 5/4/3/3/3
Inside 50s 2/2/3/3/3
Goals 0.3/0.4/0.8/0.4/0.6

Comparing Career Bests
Dunstan/Steele/Acres/Billings/Gresham
Disposals 29/21/28/30/25
Contested Possessions 15/16/11/10/13
Marks 8/6/8/9/4
Clearances 9/5/4/4/8
Tackles 9/10/7/6/7
Inside 50's 6/6/5/7/8
Goals 2/2/2/4/2

Dunstan is holding his spot based on being able to win a couple of contested balls, a couple of clearances, and 2 tackles per game.
He may be under pressure by all of Steele , Acres, and Gresham.
Billings just added for fun.

Dunstan should be in running spikes all summer

B: Dempster Carlisle Geary
HB: Newnes Roberton Savage
C: Acres Armo Roo
HF:Stevens Bruce Billings
F: Weller Mccartin Membrey
1r:Hickey Ross Stevens
INT: Gilbert Gresham Steele Dunstan
Eme: Lonie Joey Minchington

Geary - Brown - dempster

Montagna - carlisle - roberton

Reiwoldt - Ross. - acres

Weller. - Bruce. - billings

Gresham - Mccartin- membry

(R) Hickey. - Steven. - armitage

Int. Steele. - newnes. - dunstan - gilbert

(I ******* hate Gilbert but this is what I think the 22 will be come r1)
Really like dmac and think savage will get overtaken next year what do you blokes think of this?

First time post here but I will give this a go.
FB: Geary - Brown - Roberton
CHB: white - Carlisle - dmac
C: Billings - Acres - Newnes
CHF: Roo - Bruce - Membrey
FF: Gresh - Paddy - Weller
F: Hickey - Steven - Steele
I/C: Armo - Ross - savage - Freeman
E: Joey - Webster - Dunstan Stevens

Probably not the most popular choices but I think its the best list we can put on the park for a mixture of competitiveness and games into future important players.
I have put Freeman in as I still think that he will be a walk up start in our team when fully firing as we need his burst of speed.
Feel free to critique harshly though. I can take it

First time post here but I will give this a go.
FB: Geary - Brown - Roberton
CHB: white - Carlisle - dmac
C: Billings - Acres - Newnes
CHF: Roo - Bruce - Membrey
FF: Gresh - Paddy - Weller
F: Hickey - Steven - Steele
I/C: Armo - Ross - savage - Freeman
E: Joey - Webster - Dunstan Stevens

Probably not the most popular choices but I think its the best list we can put on the park for a mixture of competitiveness and games into future important players.
I have put Freeman in as I still think that he will be a walk up start in our team when fully firing as we need his burst of speed.
Feel free to critique harshly though. I can take it
Welcome!

I think Dempster and Montagna are locks, and White won't be ready yet, but nothing wrong with a youthful look. Also, no way Freeman starts in the AFL side IMO.

Welcome!

I think Dempster and Montagna are locks, and White won't be ready yet, but nothing wrong with a youthful look. Also, no way Freeman starts in the AFL side IMO.
Yes I agree that they will be in the round 1 side but I can see a drop off in Joey's form next year and am hopeful white will replace Dempster.
Also bullish about Freeman but yes very doubtful he will be in the AFL team for most of the year.
It's more what I would like to see for the future of the club

Looking at the possible lineups for round 1 its nice to think that we should have carlisle or brown to pick up hogan instead of dempster having to fight out of his weight division as usual. Hopefully, it will be a pleasant position to be in when we come up against the likes of hawkins, kennedy and buddy etc.

How well do we stack up against the teams that smashed us last year? I have matched us up against Adelaide based on teams from the AFL website (somebody want to do one vs West Coast?). The back six looks very good on paper, and you would think that we win four of those match-ups. I really like to think that our defense will tighten up by at least two goals. We are still swimming upstream in the midfield, and I'm not sure where we will find any improvement in clearances with the team listed here, unless there is improvement in players like Hickey Steven and Armitage, and further growth in players like Acres, Gresham, Dunstan, Billings and Steele. And if we're not getting our hands on the pill first up then I think our forward 6 as presented here will really miss the pressure acts of players like Wright and Minchington.

It's going to be fun watching the new boys run around. I have no doubt that our starting 22 has improved and that our list depth has deepened. But I still think if we are going to make finals the responsibility is squarely in the hands of our coaching and fitness staff.

ADELAIDE vs ST KILDA

It's an intriguing predicament. Based on last year's improvement, Ross would arguably be selected in the starting 22 before Montagna. If McKenzie was to demonstrate the same level of improvement it might shunt Montagna out of the starting defensive 6.

2 crouches + Sloane beat us for contested ball, unless Armo has a "good" day.

ADELAIDE vs ST KILDA

Gee we stack up really well against Adelaide. Joey is playing incredible footy and to be averaging high 20s every week from a back pocket and in the top few for meters gained in the comp suggests he's probably being severely underrated from being moved into a less glamorous position. D-Mac would have to make up a heap of ground to pass Montagna. I think Joey is probably the most likely to be able to play another few years out of our older players. Dempster probably only has one more in him and possibly Rooey too. If all three went Armo and Brown would be our oldest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The back six looks very good on paper, and you would think that we win four of those match-ups.

I think you massively underestimate how good Adelaide's forward line is. Coupled with their game plan, it's the most effective in the comp. Betts is top shelf, Geary would have his hands full. Walker is a tough matchup for anyone, Carlisle should break even on his day but wouldn't win hands down. Jenkins is very dangerous and gets a lot of goals out the back, so you need to be agile, which Brown isn't really. Lynch is good and Robbo isn't great lock down. Dempster should beat McGovern forward but might lose him up the ground. On our day we should be able to hold them but most of the time I'd expect them to kick a decent score.

I think you massively underestimate how good Adelaide's forward line is. Coupled with their game plan, it's the most effective in the comp. Betts is top shelf, Geary would have his hands full. Walker is a tough matchup for anyone, Carlisle should break even on his day but wouldn't win hands down. Jenkins is very dangerous and gets a lot of goals out the back, so you need to be agile, which Brown isn't really. Lynch is good and Robbo isn't great lock down. Dempster should beat McGovern forward but might lose him up the ground. On our day we should be able to hold them but most of the time I'd expect them to kick a decent score.

Betts, Lynch, Tex, Jenkins and Cameron are a very good forward line and with Milera and Menzel yet to make an impact have further scope for offensive output. We have a similarly dangerous list of smalls coming through but ours hasn't clicked yet. If we could get Lonie in and scoring like Milne we would go close with Paddy and Bruce as key targets and Mav etc controlling the ball coming out. Billings, Acres etc all moving through there makes a pretty unpredictable set up.

Geary held betts to 1 goal when we got belted, an exceptional job considering how many inside 50's they had. I'd say carlisle goes to jenkins and brown to walker, two matchups which we at least break even in i reckon.

FB: Geary N.Brown Dempster
(Lockdown defenders at the back - Geary taking best small forward and inclusion of Brown allows Dempster to play on the 3rd key forward as opposed to the 1st)

HB: Montagna Carlisle J. Webster
(Montagna right-footed kick on the right flank - Webster left footed kick on the left flank)

C: Riewoldt Acres Billings
(As above in terms of preferred kicks - Riewoldt and Billings are brilliant field kicks allowing for great use going inside 50)

HF: Weller Bruce Steele
(Weller and Steele are both goal kickers who provide excellent defensive pressure - Bruce to move into the Riewoldt role of providing an option at CHF)

FF: Gresham McCartin Membrey
(As above for Gresham and Membrey - if McCartin has a clear run at it he is a minimum 45 goal a year player from 2017 onwards)

R: Hickey Steven Ross
(Midfield of Steven, Ross and Acres a good mix - Ross and Acres the extractors with Steven providing break away speed)

I/C: Roberton Newnes Armitage Dunstan
(Roberton provides cover for defense along with Newnes, Armitage and Dunstan rotating through the middle)

EM: Stevens Gilbert Lonie Savage
(Shows how much depth we now have - 2014/15/16 these 4 are walk up starts every week. Stevens and Gilbert only miss due to their foot skills. Lonie and Savage also unlucky.

Geary held betts to 1 goal when we got belted, an exceptional job considering how many inside 50's they had. I'd say carlisle goes to jenkins and brown to walker, two matchups which we at least break even in i reckon.

Yes If Betts is underestimated , Geary has made a career out of it.

I'd have Stevens in the side on the bench to chop out Weller. Perfect replacement and i think he can play hbf pushing up into midfield.
Steele in the centre.. We just have to get as many games as we can into him. His lightning hands out of packs will help our clearance numbers. IMO Acres and Steele are to be fighting for the same position.
The list looks really good on paper.
Sandy should have a very good side next year.

We might even find somebody better with your no.1 pick next year.

Ha. True. Very good trade period by the Saints. Carlisle is a new recruit also. Should be pushing for finals next year. Could even be at the expense of the Hawks. I would think the Hawks, North and Cats are the most vulnerable. Oddly, the dogs by way of winning the premiership have a very, very tough draw in 2017...

I love players who can use the ball well so that automatically knocks the likes of gilbert geary and brown out of the best 22 for me.

FB: Dempster - Carlisle - Webster
Dempster take 3rd tall, Webster hopefully gives more offence for what he still lacks in defence, Carlisle a no brainer.

HB: Newnes - Roberton - White
Would like to see how our half back line would do if they were this mobile. All players have excellent foot skills and Robbo can hopefully outrun any CHF.

C: Billings - Ross - Riewoldt
Billings and Roo excellent by foot, Ross has become our best extractor.

HF: Weller - Bruce - Steele
Weller and Steele both good tacklers and good set shots. Bruce hopefully gets a bit more space from tackling pressure.

FF: Gresham - McCartin - Membrey
Gresham our best small forward, although could see him moving to the mid next year. Paddy and Membrey made a very good combo last year when they eere both on the field.

R: Hickey - Steven - Sinclair
Hickey and Steven obvious. Curveball with Sinclair but if he plays anything like 2015 with 2 years improvement then I can see him breezing into the midfield.

Int: Armitage - Montagna - Dunstan - Freeman
Monty rotates through backline, Freeman through forwardline, Armo and Dunstan provide support for midfield bunch.

I love players who can use the ball well so that automatically knocks the likes of gilbert geary and brown out of the best 22 for me.

FB: Dempster - Carlisle - Webster
Dempster take 3rd tall, Webster hopefully gives more offence for what he still lacks in defence, Carlisle a no brainer.

HB: Newnes - Roberton - White
Would like to see how our half back line would do if they were this mobile. All players have excellent foot skills and Robbo can hopefully outrun any CHF.

C: Billings - Ross - Riewoldt
Billings and Roo excellent by foot, Ross has become our best extractor.

HF: Weller - Bruce - Steele
Weller and Steele both good tacklers and good set shots. Bruce hopefully gets a bit more space from tackling pressure.

FF: Gresham - McCartin - Membrey
Gresham our best small forward, although could see him moving to the mid next year. Paddy and Membrey made a very good combo last year when they eere both on the field.

R: Hickey - Steven - Sinclair
Hickey and Steven obvious. Curveball with Sinclair but if he plays anything like 2015 with 2 years improvement then I can see him breezing into the midfield.

Int: Armitage - Montagna - Dunstan - Freeman
Monty rotates through backline, Freeman through forwardline, Armo and Dunstan provide support for midfield bunch.
Wowee, Freeman never played a game, White 1 game, Steele 9 games and a broken foot, Sinclair struggled for a game last year and all get a game before Geary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back