Delisted Josh Green (2010-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Reviews: Part 2

One third of the ‘Mozzie Squad’, Josh Green was another Lion to spend a stint on the sidelines this season as a result of another injury. The 24-year-old played 11 games in 2016, with a stress fracture in his foot ultimately ending his season for the second consecutive year.

Coach’s notes:

Green played 11 games for the season. He kicked 10 goals and 12 behinds, it was the first time in three seasons that he hasn’t won the goal kicking for us, playing mainly as a forward.

Lions delist Green

The Brisbane Lions have delisted forward Josh Green.

The Tasmanian, who was drafted in 2010, played 81 games between 2011-2016.

Football General Manager David Noble thanked Green for his commitment to the Lions.

“It is disappointing when any player departs, and Josh has given great service to our Club.

“We thank him for his time at the Club and wish him all the best for his future,” said Noble.

It takes the Lions' total number of list changes to nine for the season, with retired trio Daniel Merrett, Trent West and Justin Clarke having already departed.

Pay dispute leads to Josh Green's departure from Brisbane Lions

The Brisbane Lions have delisted small forward Josh Green after six seasons and 81 games at the club.

The out-of-contract 24-year-old, who has 107 career goals to his credit, had demanded more than $500,000 per year as contract negotiations stalled during the season.

Ultimately, the Tasmanian was shown door because the club wasn't prepared to pay him that much money.

New Lions football manager David Noble thanked Green for his "great service" at the Lions.

"It is disappointing when any player departs," Noble said.

"We thank him for his time at the club and wish him all the best for his future."

Green, a two-time club leading goalkicker, becomes the 10th player to leave the Gabba this off-season along with retirees Justin Clarke, Daniel Merrett and Trent West. Jackson Paine, Hugh Beasley, Billy Evans, Josh Watts and Josh McGuinness were delisted while Pearce Hanley was traded to Gold Coast.

What could have been with him. Bet he tears it up at a new club..

I think a fair few would take you up on that bet.
On exposed form I dont think he tears it up at VFL level. I guess I mean the kick up the arse this whole process would be to him could very be what he needs.

farewell Greeny, "potential" another in a long list of could have been really good players, joins Todd Banfield, Jason Roe, Rahn Hooper, Justin Sherman, Anthony Corrie, Jarred Brennan among others in the could have been files of lions past players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So was Fev. I think personally it's a required move by the club if they want to be serious about a cultural revolution and full player buy in.
Would appear Greeny got his buy in and cash in terms confused

I am a little confused.
I can accept that Green was on the outer, that he had let his standards slip and didn't form part of Fagan and Nobles plans. But why wait until after trade period to delist him. I think it became pretty obvious pretty early that we weren't going to offer him a new deal, and there was not much interest in him, so have we damaged his chances of a new club by hanging on to him this late, or does it actually help him, and if the former, why would we do that to the guy, just interested.

I am a little confused.
I can accept that Green was on the outer, that he had let his standards slip and didn't form part of Fagan and Nobles plans. But why wait until after trade period to delist him. I think it became pretty obvious pretty early that we weren't going to offer him a new deal, and there was not much interest in him, so have we damaged his chances of a new club by hanging on to him this late, or does it actually help him, and if the former, why would we do that to the guy, just interested.

I assume we were hoping to trade him and get something in return.

I am a little confused.
It's a reasonably common practice to see if there are any takers in the trade period and if not then delist. Barlow is a good example but there are others. No prejudice because they can enter the preseason draft or if a DFA they can be picked up in the DFA period coming soon.

I am a little confused.

There is no ability to deist a player prior to trade week. We would've put his name out there and are now sending him on his way.

There is no ability to deist a player prior to trade week. We would've put his name out there and are now sending him on his way.

Lots of clubs delisted players prior to Trade week, I think we delisted five ourselves.

If there is no prejudice to him, then fair enough. I accept that we might have wanted to see what was out there, and I also accept that we probably made it pretty clear to Josh that he was not going to get another contract. His managers comments made during the trade period made that pretty clear.

I hope he manages to find a home, skills wise he is good enough at this level and if he puts in the work could be one of the top small forwards in the comp.

No hard feelings by the tone of his tweet - had a photo of them after a win saying how much he is going to miss that and responded to someone urging them to stick with the boys as good things coming.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back