2016 FFA Cup Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Would a crowd of 15k be acceptable?

You'll get a lot of neturals going, I might consider going if the weather is fine. Doubt many Sydney fans will travel down through.
Unless all your members decide to turn up which I doubt it being midweek and it's a fine sunny day so a lot of neturals and theatregoers decide to rock up due to TimmyMe playing you might crack 15k very much doubt it through!

Stupid decision hosting the final midweek in the first place by the FFA.

Last edited:
Wasn't the final held on the weekend last season, with the respective teams league games postponed? Why isn't that the case again this season?

I think it makes sense to hold it in Melbourne. Sydney as the more established club with the larger supporter base are more likely to bring 2-3k travelling fans, whereas I doubt that would be the case if the City fans were travelling to Sydney.

Wasn't the final held on the weekend last season, with the respective teams league games postponed? Why isn't that the case again this season?

I think it makes sense to hold it in Melbourne. Sydney as the more established club with the larger supporter base are more likely to bring 2-3k travelling fans, whereas I doubt that would be the case if the City fans were travelling to Sydney.

No way 2-3K traveling midweek most of these people have jobs school etc you know.. they don't even travel in with those numbers on a regular weekend away fixture! you'll be lucky if more then 100 of the Cove members come down.

It only make sense to hold it in Melbourne due to TimmyMe.

No way 2-3K traveling midweek most of these people have jobs school etc you know.. they don't even travel in with those numbers on a regular weekend away fixture! you'll be lucky if more then 100 of the Cove members come down.

It only make sense to hold it in Melbourne due to TimmyMe.
I meant that they're more likely than City to take a decent number of travelling fans.

Maybe next year they'll work out the fixtures. Would love to see the Cup semi finals be prominent games (back to back Friday nights?), and the GF played on a public Holiday (New Years day or Australia Day). Give the cup more profile and give people more chance to engage with it.

Final was a Saturday last year. Why'd they change it?

Guess that's an upside to losing, don't have to pay to go out on a Wednesday night.

Whatever the reason they chose Melbourne, it wasn't to "maximise the profit." They would've gotten a bigger crowd in Sydney than they'll likely get in Melbourne. The reason for it is that I think they're trying to get City a trophy, and get TimMe all over the news the next day.

I really disagree with giggler99 - I think they'll get bugger all neutrals to a City game on a weeknight, and I think they'll struggle to get their 11,000 members to the game. I really doubt they'll maintain ticket prices from last years level, but it won't matter, they'll still get fewer than last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Three points on the Cup semi:
  1. First goal was clearly offside for me - offside and active in play if 1) touch or play the ball, 2) interfere with an opponent or 3) gain an advantage from being offside. Easily meets the criteria of 2 and 3 so should be ruled offside.
  2. How Cahill managed to not get booked amazes me - so many cheap shots and basically just going around trying to wind everyone up. Not good for the FFA if their golden boy turns out to be a nasty thug. Side note: what's with the commentators gushing over him, "Timmy offering the hand of friendship" after he flattened Broxham. No he wasn't, he was pretending to while winding him up. Anyone with half a brain could tell that.
  3. The hosting decision is a farce every year. Hold the final over two legs so we don't have to endure this shitfight every single year.

Surprised it's in Melbourne. Good for the growth of the game in Melbourne but harsh on Sydney supporters.

Up to club and FFA to do everything they can to get a good crowd in.

Should have been decided randomly, if both Allianz and AAMI were available. I'm glad it's in Melbourne and the tears about it are funny (given Cahill has been about our fifth best pickup this season so far), but does nothing for the FFA's credibility to just pick Melbourne as the venue "because...".

Should have been decided randomly, if both Allianz and AAMI were available. I'm glad it's in Melbourne and the tears about it are funny (given Cahill has been about our fifth best pickup this season so far), but does nothing for the FFA's credibility to just pick Melbourne as the venue "because...".

Yeah I have no sympathy for FC fans. As a Glory fan we got shafted two years in a row for being out in the wild west.

Holding the final over two legs is the most sensible option in my view.

Yeah I have no sympathy for FC fans. As a Glory fan we got shafted two years in a row for being out in the wild west.

Holding the final over two legs is the most sensible option in my view.

I believe the Age has speculated it is down to AAMI costing half as much to rent, which is sort of understandable, but still not great from a credibility standpoint.

Because maybe City's owners probably pulled a few strings for the final to be played at AAMI, possibly bribes?!?

Because maybe City's owners probably pulled a few strings for the final to be played at AAMI, possibly bribes?!?

You can believe whatever you want. I've heard that it's at AAMI because the rent is cheaper, which I guess is understandable, but a bit bush league for the elite soccer league in the country.

Personally, I'd say if City's owners were going to bribe the league for favourable treatment, the team would be wearing sky blue kits at home games and Frank Lampard would have appeared for Melbourne City at some stage.

You can believe whatever you want. I've heard that it's at AAMI because the rent is cheaper, which I guess is understandable, but a bit bush league for the elite soccer league in the country.

Personally, I'd say if City's owners were going to bribe the league for favourable treatment, the team would be wearing sky blue kits at home games and Frank Lampard would have appeared for Melbourne City at some stage.

You know that they are wearing sky blue from next season?

I think it's a bit ridiculous - and scurrilous in the extreme - for anyone to suggest bribes. It's as simple as the FFA giving Heart as many leg ups as possible to try and turn them into an entity that people give a s**t about.

I think it's a bit ridiculous - and scurrilous in the extreme - for anyone to suggest bribes. It's as simple as the FFA giving Heart as many leg ups as possible to try and turn them into an entity that people give a s**t about.
Not sure about this.

If it was indeed the case then we wouldn't have been shafted by the Lampard rule, where a loan players full salary has to be included in the cap, and the Brattan/Caceres rule where you can't loan players from a club if they've been purchased from the A-League within the last year. Although, that last one could easily be fixed if the A-League allowed transfers between clubs, iy would actually provide more money for the financially struggling clubs as well.

Not sure about this.

If it was indeed the case then we wouldn't have been shafted by the Lampard rule, where a loan players full salary has to be included in the cap, and the Brattan/Caceres rule where you can't loan players from a club if they've been purchased from the A-League within the last year. Although, that last one could easily be fixed if the A-League allowed transfers between clubs, iy would actually provide more money for the financially struggling clubs as well.

You seriously trying to argue that City were shafted by the Brattan/Caceras rule? Ok, let's just make it a feeder league for foreign teams then? :rolleyes:

The fact that the FFA had to introduce a Caceras rule, then introduce the Brattan loophole, and then introduce the Cahill rule while also paying part of his salary proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that Heart are getting repeated hand ups I would've thought.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back