Deaths at Dreamworld

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn't there a story about a man who fell in between a train and the platform and was crushed from the waist down but was still conscious?

When the paramedics came to help they told him as soon as they release the train from him he would die. So he was able to ring his loved ones before dying.

Am I imagining that?
Sounds like you are describing crush syndrome. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crush_syndrome

How the hell can they leave that conveyer belt thing just open like that. It looks like a medieval torture/execution device. I'm shocked no one has accidentally fallen into it before

Sounds like you are describing crush syndrome. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crush_syndrome
Yeah I remembered the source, was a guy on reddit, one of the top comments in /r/askreddit. He was a passenger who witnessed it. A passenger slipped on the platform as the train was pulling in, ended up getting wedged between the train and platform. Was still alive, conscious. Ambos come and asses situation. They realise that by pushing the train away to free him would end up killing him. So they tell him bluntly to call his family and tell them how much he loves them, etc as he will die. Apparently the guy was in high spirits or something, said something to the effect of "oh well. At least I get to say goodbye to my mum. Most people dont even get that" and was weirdly in high spirits. He makes the call, the paramedics give him a needle of some kind to make him feel elated, then he ends up being freed and dies.

Overhead footage doesn't agree with it being the ascent, rather after when the empty raft up ahead was stationary. All speculation at this point.
Yeah that diagram in the daily mail is completely backwards to the point where they describe a "following" raft which is actually the raft in front.

you only need to read this thread to know why those reporters exist. 4 people have died and their loved ones will be destroyed right now, and we have 5 pages of hypotheses on what happened and talk of how their bodies were shredded and sliced like we're talking about lettuce and cabbage.

You're 100% right. I must admit that as sad as this is, and as horrible it must be for those children, my main interest remains in the gory details of how it happened. I don't think this makes me a bad person, since it's just human nature.

Yeah that diagram in the daily mail is completely backwards to the point where they describe a "following" raft which is actually the raft in front.

Been described that the came over the last part, hit the empty raft ahead and then flipped backwards back on to the conveyor belt.

How were the kids thrown to safety? Looks like all 6 should have gotten minced.
A man who witnessed the incident said the ride flipped at the very end of its circuit.

The man, who declined to be named, said a girl was pulled from the ride just before it flipped.
From the herald sun article

How were the kids thrown to safety? Looks like all 6 should have gotten minced.

I think the kids, being smaller, were able to slip out of the rides restraints and jump to safety? I think all 6 knew they were in trouble, it must not have flipped straight away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

eXQEvhX.png

If above is true then this whole thing could have been error on the operators part? or maybe a faulty stop bar was what caused the ride to be shut down earlier in the day and then ended up spazzing out again. found on reddit.

eXQEvhX.png

If above is true then this whole thing could have been error on the operators part? or maybe a faulty stop bar was what caused the ride to be shut down earlier in the day and then ended up spazzing out again. found on reddit.

Reddit has a history of blaming the wrong people and witch hunting an innocent person.

Reddit has a history of blaming the wrong people and witch hunting an innocent person.
Hopefully this doesn't turn people into savage online vigilantes. At least not unless it can be shown that someone deliberately tampered with the ride to make this happen, or there was gross incompetence on the part of management who ignored numerous warning signs. Should either of these scenario's come to fruition then they'll be dealt with accordingly but it's far too early to look at those things now.

Until that point it's a tragic accident that has left a family (or families) devastated, and numerous people responsible for the supervision of that area of the park feeling terrible that a little bit of additional vigilance could have prevented this.

We all make mistakes, and fortunately very few have such dire results, but many mistakes could have fatal consequences and we carry on our lives blissfully unaware of how lucky we got. I always think to my 17 year old self who was charged with looking after my 2 year old nephew for half an hour while my folks went to the shops. I thought it was more fun to impress girls over MSN (those days!!) and completely forgot about the youngster. They came in to find him playing in the front garden, gate wide open to a fairly busy road. Could've been tragic for our family, but wasn't, and all down to a stupid teenage mistake.

That's frightening that this has happened. To think there were also 2 incidents like this at altona towers too this year. Have standards just seriously slipped or what is happening.

We all make mistakes, and fortunately very few have such dire results, but many mistakes could have fatal consequences and we carry on our lives blissfully unaware of how lucky we got. I always think to my 17 year old self who was charged with looking after my 2 year old nephew for half an hour while my folks went to the shops. I thought it was more fun to impress girls over MSN (those days!!) and completely forgot about the youngster. They came in to find him playing in the front garden, gate wide open to a fairly busy road. Could've been tragic for our family, but wasn't, and all down to a stupid teenage mistake.
I don't think it was the teenager who made the stupid mistake in your scenario.

Jesus Christ the mincing

Peter Garrett was right

Hope this is the end of the park

The victims have been named as Kate Goodchild, 32, her brother Luke Dorsett, his partner Roozi Araghi and a 42-year-old woman who remains unknown.

Kate and Luke’s mother Kim Dorsett, toldThe Courier Mail she is “absolutely devastated” following the accident that left her grandchildren without their mother.

“We are just devastated, absolutely devastated,” she said.

“I have three children and have lost two of them today — my whole family has been wiped out.

“I have two granddaughters — an eight-month-old and a 12-year-old — and it truly breaks my heart to know that my eight-month-old is never going to get to know her mum.”

The family were visiting Queensland from Canberra when the decided to visit Dreamworld. Ms Dorsett said her granddaughter was “distraught” at the loss of her mother.

Mr Fuller said responders had been “deeply affected” by what they had seen and would be offered counselling.

The four people killed in a horrific accident on a Dreamworld ride were just five seconds from safety when the craft flipped, giving them injuries “incompatible with living”.

Witnesses have told how they tried to comfort a young girl who was left screaming as disaster shattered the funpark atmosphere.

“She just kept screaming ‘Where’s Mummy? Where’s Mummy?” witness Claire Wooley said.

“We tried to comfort her, but she was so emotional it was hard.”

“We were in tears ourselves and she was just hysterical.”

A former Dreamworld staffer who has worked at the park for more than a decade told the Gold Coast Bulletin the six-seater craft had nearly finished the ride when it hit an empty raft ahead and flipped.

“If you ever saw a doughnut being made at Donut King, they have a conveyor belt at the end that the doughnuts go up to dry off,” he said.

“It’s exactly the same thing ... It just takes them from the water in the bottom to the unloading point at the end.”

Witnesses who rode the ride earlier in the day expressed concern about the velcro seatbelt that was holding them in. Melbourne father Jesse Lovett said he did not feel secure holding his two-year-old daughter on his lap.

“It’s so rough and you had to hold it really tight,” he told news.com.au. “It was my favourite ride and now with my daughter I was pretty scared to go on it.”

“All that was holding her in securely was me. The strap did nothing and easily came undone because it was wet.”

Chaplains visited the park to offer support while others have left tributes at the scene.

Article goes on, but it's just speculation and finger pointing.

http://www.news.com.au/national/que...t/news-story/ab194466f5fd49e1e1c17e5468bbbd47

Sad if it were to permanently close after this. I loved going to the Gold Coast theme parks a couple of years ago. Dreamworld was one of the best.

the management will face the scrutiny required soon enough

in the mean time the media eats up grief pr0n - there will be news crews going to bed very late tonight feeling like they've accomplished something, because they're narcissistic attention whores
So your main gripe is that the media is doing its job and informing the public of a tragedy and trying to get them the information that they want to know. And rather than focus on how such a tragedy occurred, which is the very point of reporting it, you prefer to focus on the reporting itself. it's not like the media were rushing on top of the kids of the families who were killed or released the names of the deceased without consent from family members. They still havnt reported one name due probably to lack of consent. They are following standards. But they are also trying to present it in a way that is dramatic because well it is dramatic. And showing this in a dramatic way is what ensures it will stay with the public and those potentially responsible will get the scrutiny that it deserves. And that last part is what is most important so it never happens again. Maybe if the near death accident earlier in the year was given more media attention then management would of been forced to improve safety standards and this incident wouldn't of happened.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back