2017 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

He also invented the 'joe the goose' type goal in our faster more confident days
Whether he actually took the shot himself or centred to someone else he often seems to be able to break free out the back
Love those efforts. Big fan of Jake Neade but I reckon we're a better team with Angus in the mix instead. Whether or not he can meet those standards in 2017... Well I'm looking forward to finding out.

Most teams have brought in ready made players to improve their list.

We haven't.

We have been promised to draft to improve over 5 years.
we could find a young jet to slot in, add Ryder to mix and hopefully a year where we don't have as many injuries,so fingers crossed we improve too. It's mathematically impossible that most of the teams will improve. Every year some teams improve, some remain steady and the others regress.

I'm not as optimistic as I have been for previous seasons...but I can't imagine West Coast fans would have had very high hopes for 2015...

A lot can happen in this game.
18 months ago the Bulldogs were almost certainties for the spoon. The AFL landscape changes very quickly and many a prediction has come back to haunt arm chair experts.

With that being said we need a small miracle to turn this list around. We're stuck in quicksand and quicksand only goes one way

we could find a young jet to slot in, add Ryder to mix and hopefully a year where we don't have as many injuries,so fingers crossed we improve too. It's mathematically impossible that most of the teams will improve. Every year some teams improve, some remain steady and the others regress.
no its not. We could improve by 1%. But if every other team improved 15% we would likely lose every game and de3finitely would get the wooden spoon.

Hate to be a pedant, just sayin'

18 months ago the Bulldogs were almost certainties for the spoon. The AFL landscape changes very quickly and many a prediction has come back to haunt arm chair experts.

With that being said we need a small miracle to turn this list around. We're stuck in quicksand and quicksand only goes one way

when were they certainties for the spoon ahead of Brisbane and the like? Not to mention the at the time impending doom at Essendon

True, but the bulldogs sacked their coach and moved on some senior players. We're stuck with a tactically inept coach and group of senior players who have performed poorly for 2 seasons now.

Monfries was dangerously close to being out of the best 22 in 2015 so I'm not expecting him to be a walk-up start in 2017 and certainly not expecting him to impact.
His defensive side of game should not be under rated. can nullify dangerous half backs. On his day he can provide x factor. Backing Angus to have big year

2001, Mark Williams emphasized the idea of uncontested possession in an attempt to retain the ball and limit the amount of contests that a team was subject to, theorizing that the more contests a team had, the more chance there was to turn the ball over because it was governed by too many variable factors. Clarkson was a disciple of this idea, and took it with him to Hawthorn.

2005, Paul Roos introduced the idea of mobile flooding around the contest in an effort to negate the lack of run in his Swans side vs sides like Port and focus more on defense. The AFL responded by relaxing the interpretation on illegal disposal so teams that were disadvantaged by his shithouse tactics could still move the ball to the outside freely, allowing West Coast to win the flag in 2006.

2007, Mark Thompson, seeing how the game was going to a flood based slop, pushed run and dash and taking the game on, but it only worked after his side built the strength and skill necessary to do work on the inside as well as the outside. Their lack of a dominant ruck in later years would prove costly.

Then in 2010, Mick Malthouse advocated slowing the game down to counter Geelong's dominance, not going through the corridor, but to the outside where he could still gain an advantage with stoppages if necessary but still flood the center of the ground.

And the cycle continues. Replace Williams with Clarkson and Roos with Beveridge.

Sides will attempt to go to a more contested style this year, and this is when we need to pounce. Richmond has already decided to play 'follow the leader' by targeting Caddy and Prestia. This is why they'll never win a flag - they always follow the latest fad instead of trying to set their own agenda. Contested footy is something you need to be able to do, but to focus on it the way the Bulldogs have - that was just Beveridge's way of negating Hawthorn, the same way it was Roos' way of negating Port. It's why we always struggle with Sydney, by the way.

We add a bit of contested steel and strength around the contest - without neglecting the run and carry and dare that we've had in the past - and we can be successful. Hardness and toughness in that space comes from within.

We don't do it, we'll finish where all the pessimists believe we will, because we'll have reached our limits as a football side, getting smashed from pillar to post by every side that is using the off-season to emphasize the contest because of what the Bulldogs did.

It's Geelong 2007/2008 style or bust for us right now. That's where we are at.

2001, Mark Williams emphasized the idea of uncontested possession in an attempt to retain the ball and limit the amount of contests that a team was subject to, theorizing that the more contests a team had, the more chance there was to turn the ball over because it was governed by too many variable factors. Clarkson was a disciple of this idea, and took it with him to Hawthorn.

2005, Paul Roos introduced the idea of mobile flooding around the contest in an effort to negate the lack of run in his Swans side vs sides like Port and focus more on defense. The AFL responded by relaxing the interpretation on illegal disposal so teams that were disadvantaged by his shithouse tactics could still move the ball to the outside freely, allowing West Coast to win the flag in 2006.

2007, Mark Thompson, seeing how the game was going to a flood based slop, pushed run and dash and taking the game on, but it only worked after his side built the strength and skill necessary to do work on the inside as well as the outside. Their lack of a dominant ruck in later years would prove costly.

Then in 2010, Mick Malthouse advocated slowing the game down to counter Geelong's dominance, not going through the corridor, but to the outside where he could still gain an advantage with stoppages if necessary but still flood the center of the ground.

And the cycle continues. Replace Williams with Clarkson and Roos with Beveridge.

Sides will attempt to go to a more contested style this year, and this is when we need to pounce. Richmond has already decided to play 'follow the leader' by targeting Caddy and Prestia. This is why they'll never win a flag - they always follow the latest fad instead of trying to set their own agenda. Contested footy is something you need to be able to do, but to focus on it the way the Bulldogs have - that was just Beveridge's way of negating Hawthorn, the same way it was Roos' way of negating Port. It's why we always struggle with Sydney, by the way.

We add a bit of contested steel and strength around the contest - without neglecting the run and carry and dare that we've had in the past - and we can be successful. Hardness and toughness in that space comes from within.

We don't do it, we'll finish where all the pessimists believe we will, because we'll have reached our limits as a football side, getting smashed from pillar to post by every side that is using the off-season to emphasize the contest because of what the Bulldogs did.

It's Geelong 2007/2008 style or bust for us right now. That's where we are at.

Have we really had our 2006 + legendary review though? Is that what KT was doing at the whiteboard? Will Ah Chee really become our Cam Ling or Max Rooke? Is Cam ever going to be half the player Andrew Mackie was/is? Not convinced all the current personnel have the mental strength to literally throw the ball around on a spring confidently like Geelong 2007. Also, I'm not sure how important their lack of a dominant ruck given they won multiple flags with Cam bloody Mooney as a KPF. If either of those "weaknesses" cost them a fourth flag when they managed three well enough, will anyone ever really care? Hurt me with that effing problem, please...

AO under lights is a big component of the 2017. Last night I played around with that spreadsheet I linked earlier and of the 21 games so far scheduled at AO 19 will start after 4pm local time. Port play North on a Saturday arvo, and the crows home Showdown is on at 2.50pm which gets 7 national broadcast and the lights will come into play for the last quarter - but these are the only games scheduled to start outside twilight or night time slots. The GC could be a night game in Rd 23 if Port and/or both sides are in line for a finals spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AO under lights is a big component of the 2017. Last night I played around with that spreadsheet I linked earlier and of the 21 games so far scheduled at AO 19 will start after 4pm local time. Port play North on a Saturday arvo, and the crows home Showdown is on at 2.50pm which gets 7 national broadcast and the lights will come into play for the last quarter - but these are the only games scheduled to start outside twilight or night time slots. The GC could be a night game in Rd 23 if Port and/or both sides are in line for a finals spot.
Eugh, the sunset at AO is bloody painful.

I feel like I'm the only one disappointed about the Saturday twilight games. I play senior footy in the amateur league meaning our games don't wrap up til around 4:30. Then by the time you get back in the rooms, ice up, shower etc it's half time at best.

You can't please everyone though, should be able to get to the other 7 games if round 23 isn't the same scenario.
Ditto. Going to be tough forking out $300+ when I miss 4 Saturday twilight games. Works out to be $42/game that way.

Saturday arvo games have a bit of an impact on Port as (anecdotally) we have a slightly higher proportion of males aged 18-35 who obviously constitute a significant number of footy players on a satdee.

Can't please everyone but when a certain other club gets 5 Friday night home games to Port's 1. Makes it a bitter pill.

And I am glad that you've made this sacrafice LP7. Hopefully you take the same attitude with Splendour this year.

The best bit is the derision shown towards Collingwood. Obviously people at the club know who our biggest rival should be.

It's an absolute waste of time pushing the Collingwood rivalry. Everybody wants it, we'd be a long way down their list.

Outside of Eddie, I don't even hate Collingwood.

I don't mind the concept, but most of them range from the poor to the god awful, highlighting rounds 3 and 7 there. Round 17 almost makes up for it. Almost.

Round 3 is the wrong way round. Marge is the annoying blow in whose been around a lot less time, thinking the town is hers. And is uptight, thinking she's the pillar of the community, but is no fun at all, except to the church set.

I don't mind the concept, but most of them range from the poor to the god awful, highlighting rounds 3 and 7 there. Round 17 almost makes up for it. Almost.

Round 3 is the wrong way round. Marge is the annoying blow in whose been around a lot less time, thinking the town is hers. And is uptight, thinking she's the pillar of the community, but is no fun at all, except to the church set.
I like them

It's an absolute waste of time pushing the Collingwood rivalry. Everybody wants it, we'd be a long way down their list.

Outside of Eddie, I don't even hate Collingwood.
Same here I hate the crers, that scum of a club with their disrespectful CEOs and massive sense of entitlement. Everyone else comes a distant second.

It also feeds into the everybody hates Collingwood cause we are the biggest and the best mythology which the fat one and Vic Centric media feeds off. Meanwhile West Coast quietly go about dominating the second biggest footy market, winning s**t and pocketing millions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back