Social Derogatory vs acceptable

Remove this Banner Ad

Nick, I think it's pretty simple. If Aboriginals find the term offensive, for whatever reason, it's best not to use it.

It IS just a word though, It was considered offensive because the people using it intended it to be offensive by using other more offensive words around it

I dont

I'm sorry but I find this whole argument ridiculous. If you don't understand why using the term is offensive, then I suggest it's your problem and not political correctness gone mad. Just because you don't find it offensive is NOT a valid argument for saying it should be acceptable. Check your f****** privilege at the door and have a bit of sensitivity towards cultural issues.

I know I'm not going to change any opinions so this will be the only post I make in this thread but I want to make it clear that I find it abhorrent that some people are questioning why they can't use the term in question. Cheers.

My question is where do you draw the line? How many people does it take to become offended or choose to be offended for something to become socially unacceptable? It's the principle I object to; I don't go around calling minority groups derogatory names. As for the motherly tut-tutting from some of you, accept that some people have a different view that doesn't subscribe to the morally righteous and upstanding code you preach. I hope those of you standing on your wee soap boxes are equally intolerant of other discrimination, ie berating entire sections of the crowd for denigrating the umpires (who've been copping a raw deal for almost as long as the aborigines by now).

Come back and discuss. And please, no more with the "check your privilege". I thought that sort of thing was exclusively used by teenage girls on Tumblr. I'm terribly offended by it, if that sways your inclinations.

And Nick, * you for stealing Fasolo during the bye rounds. I hope you're offended.

My question is where do you draw the line? How many people does it take to become offended or choose to be offended for something to become socially unacceptable? It's the principle I object to; I don't go around calling minority groups derogatory names. As for the motherly tut-tutting from some of you, accept that some people have a different view that doesn't subscribe to the morally righteous and upstanding code you preach. I hope those of you standing on your wee soap boxes are equally intolerant of other discrimination, ie berating entire sections of the crowd for denigrating the umpires (who've been copping a raw deal for almost as long as the aborigines by now).

Come back and discuss. And please, no more with the "check your privilege". I thought that sort of thing was exclusively used by teenage girls on Tumblr. I'm terribly offended by it, if that sways your inclinations.

And Nick, **** you for stealing Fasolo during the bye rounds. I hope you're offended.

Im offended that your offended , I find the word offensive as well

And suck it

It IS just a word though, It was considered offensive because the people using it intended it to be offensive by using other more offensive words around it

I dont

Yes Nick, it's just a word and it's a word that offends some of the people that it's applied to. By you. And others.

You're referencing them in a manner in which they don't want to be referenced. No big deal to you. And no offence intended. But it offends. Respect the grievance caused and desist.

It's not hard. You don't even need to understand it. Just accept it. Or not. Your choice.

Last edited:
Yes Nick, it's just a word and it's a word that offends some of the people that it's applied to. By you. And others.

You're referencing them in manner in which they don't want to be referenced. No big deal to you. And no offence intended. But it offends. Respect the grievance caused and desist.

It's not hard. You don't even need to understand it. Just accept it. Or not. Your choice.

I dont accept it, Not because of the way the offence is caused in that it supposedly references terrible things, But out of the Principle of the fact that they hear a sound and then immediately associate it with something that I dont and take offence to it

I dont accept it, Not because of the way the offence is caused in that it supposedly references terrible things, But out of the Principle of the fact that they hear a sound and then immediately associate it with something that I dont and take offence to it
I think it comes down to how well you know them, or more to the point how well they know you. My missus has part aboriginal in her and I sometimes call her abo and didji (as in indigenous), I grew up with plenty of aboriginals and was good mates with some of them, some I would and have used the word ago around, others i knew would take offence.
At the end of the day its a word the offence it causes depends on the individual and the way its used. At work myself and others i work with regularly use the c**t in reference to each other (and just about everything else) it doesn't cause anyone any problems but i wouldn't use it around the office girls. On the other and you often see the word ''Mate'' used in a derogative manner. It's all about context and how well you know the people you use it around

regularly use the campaigner in reference to each other

What's this 'campaigner' you talk about? Someone else mentioned it earlier. Never heard it.

What's this 'campaigner' you talk about? Someone else mentioned it earlier. Never heard it.
It's the swear filter for the slang term for the female
genital area... Although I reckon they should have gone with scaramouche

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was walking around calling the dark guys N****rs when I was hanging around in New York once. Still can't understand what their problem was. I wasn't using it in a racist way- I don't even know (or care) about the etymology of the word is. I meant it in a "Hey, I'm mad cool like Jay-Z and I like fat arses" kind of way. But it's not my problem, I'm not a biggot just because I don't respect why other people don't like something. I mean I guess I could just refer to them as "people" as opposed to "darkies" or whatever, but I dont accept it. Not because of the way the offence is caused in that it supposedly references terrible things, but out of the Principle of the fact that they hear a sound and then immediately associate it with something that I dont and take offence to it.

Not my problem, right lads?

Editt: lol "chaps"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back