Summer Should Melbourne Bid For The 2028 Games

Should Melbourne Bid For The 2028 Games

• Yes

Votes: 79 62.2%
  • No

Votes: 48 37.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you need seperate indoor stadiums for Handball and Vollyball.

Just throwing it out could an upgrade of Kooyong be possible for the tennis to free up the Melbourne Park Venues?

I think you need seperate indoor stadiums for Handball and Vollyball.

Just throwing it out could an upgrade of Kooyong be possible for the tennis to free up the Melbourne Park Venues?

Sure they could use Kooyong for the Tennis as they really only need a Centre Court. Its not a Grand Slam so it doesn't need as many Courts.

As for Melbourne Park they really only need a "Show Court" to act as a Centre Court, so add some Temp seating to Show Court 3 and use the courts on that side of the venue and the courts with the roofs can still be released for other sports

Sure they could use Kooyong for the Tennis as they really only need a Centre Court. Its not a Grand Slam so it doesn't need as many Courts.

As for Melbourne Park they really only need a "Show Court" to act as a Centre Court, so add some Temp seating to Show Court 3 and use the courts on that side of the venue and the courts with the roofs can still be released for other sports
Dare say tennis would be the last sport on their mind. I mean really tennis

Like Atlanta then in terms of world relevance.
Coca cola the leading olympic sponsor, with the headquarters in atlanta, were the only reason atlanta were given the games. Coca cola pretty much purchase the rights to host those games.

They are also regarded as the worst summer games of the last 30 years.

Coca cola the leading olympic sponsor, with the headquarters in atlanta, were the only reason atlanta were given the games. Coca cola pretty much purchase the rights to host those games.

They are also regarded as the worst summer games of the last 30 years.

Fair enough with the coke advantage.
Irony with your username too...

You need more than the Centre Court. A grand slam has 128 men + 128 women + 64 doubles x 2 + 64 mixed doubles entered into the comp.

At the Olympics you have 64 men + 64 women + 32 x 2 doubles + 32 mixed doubles.

Hyperthically,if Melbourne bid and won the 2016 Olympics,it would be held now,Mid September,2016.
The weather now is atrocious,cold,windy and extremely wet.

Its no wonder the AOC have expressed concern about a Melbourne Olympics in September.It would be an embarrassment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me it is a no brainer, I am an 18 year old and I don't have very strong memories of Sydney but it has always been a life dream of mine to watch the Olympics in Melbourne. I think we would put on a great show had have a lot of the infrastructure already
Of course we should. After all, we are the sporting capital of the known universe.

**** no. There are better things to spend billions of dollars on. It's been pretty much proven that the Olympics are a colossal waste of money and we have people living on the streets.
Not when much of the infrastructure is already built. Australia is also in - and you can presume for the foreseeable future - a much better financial position then when the games were in Athens (Greece) and Rio (Brazil).
If there's a lack of stadiums it's not uncommon for a couple of events to be moved to nearby cities - in our case it could be Ballarat or Geelong.
While saying that, and taking parochialism out of it - I think Brisbane is the more likely option.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...y/news-story/4bce56c5dd9c301d5b7e6aa3f14bc7cc
Olympics: Southeast Queensland’s plans to bid for the 2028 Olympic Games could be thrown into chaos if the International Olympic Committee approves an idea to award those Games to the loser of the 2024 host race later this year. Olympic circles have been abuzz with rumours — none of which have been discounted by IOC president Thomas Bach — that the IOC may award both the 2024 and 2028 Games in Lima in September. Bach has spoken about reforming the bid process so that there are not too many losers.

When asked about two winners in Lima, Bach told Associated Press: “Let us discuss. This is a discussion,” the president said. “It also depends on the timing. This is, you know, why I appreciate also the public discussion. There are many options.” Budapest is poised to withdraw from the 2024 race in the coming days after a referendum in the Hungarian capital showed lukewarm enthusiasm to spending money on the Games. This will leave two strong bids from Los Angeles and Paris and its understood Bach doesn’t want either city to go away empty-handed. Such a bold twin appointment would scupper the plans for southeast Queensland’s bid and push out any realistic chances for an Australian host city until 2032. The southeast Queensland bid has already undergone significant feasibility studies and identified the main stadium village and some venues near the Brisbane CBD, with other venues scattered in the southeast of the state.Mayors in the southeast region are enthusiastic about hosting the Games to fast track infrastructure in the region. Lobbying for the 2028 Olympics was not due to begin until late next year, well after the announcement of the 2024 winner. Several IOC members have raised objections to giving the 2028 Games as a consolation prize.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...y/news-story/4bce56c5dd9c301d5b7e6aa3f14bc7cc

2032 would be the best bet for a bid at this stage. As suggested above the IOC will likely award 2024/2028 at the same time now that its down to only to Paris and Los Angeles for 2024 and even if they don't and open it up they will still go to the losing Continent

Back