Video game catchall

Remove this Banner Ad

Cheers. Which of the DLC is most worthwhile?
OK - I'll ignore the content packs as they are just for crazy people like me -

Reaper's Due is the latest and I like the new disease mechanics. The Plague actually is something to fear and you have to plan your campaigns around them. Also the risk that your favourite heir dies and the idiot 2nd son inherents goes up a lot. 8/10

Sword of Islam - torn on this one. Playing as the Muslim lords is dull and the decadence mechanic is annoying, but it makes them much easier to play against. Not sure how many of the mechanics are patched in and how many native to the DLC. 7/10

Conclave - Added Councils and ramped up the politics. Made the game much harder and might be a good one for the Xmas sales. 7/10 but makes politics in the game difficult.

Way of Life - Added character focuses a lot of new interactions and events. 7.5/10

Horse Lords - If you want to play a Steppe people you will want this, but probably best for later. 6/10

Charlemagne - Adds an earlier start to the game and an interesting set of event chains. But can be left for later. 7/10

Rajas of India - Never play an Indian prince but like them in the game as it gives the Caliphate something else to do other than destroy Byzantium too early. 7/10

Sons of Abraham - Added a bunch of religious stuff, half of which has been patched out of the game. Great flavour but not essential. Xmas or Easter sale 5/10.

The Old Gods - Essential. Vikings. Spread the Norse religion, instutionilise it and make the North of Europe free of the lambs of Christ. 10/10 (really, just Vikings!)

The Republic - I really enjoyed this one, although intyeract with it less. Play as Venice/Genoa or set up your own merchant republics. You play as members of the 4 main families in your Republic and you vie for control. There are a bunch of special expansion rules and even if you aren't Doge you get to act with your own retainers and mercs. 8/10

Sunset Invasion - Is fun exactly once. The Mongols turning up in the 1200s is bad enough. A bunch of superpowered Aztecs doing it in about 1100 is worse. No fun, unstoppable and painfully ahistorical. 4/10

Legacy of Rome - What is better than Vikings? Byzantium, or should I say The Roman Empire that didn't go away in the East (* Gibbon and his pro Western sources, really). Makes Byzantium playable and fun. Must have (especially oif you are a Byzantium fan). 10/10

On content packs:
Highly recommend the portrait/faces packs as a minimum. Fewer generic characters and with a marriage to Ethiopia you can have a black King of France.

Hope that helps.

OK - I'll ignore the content packs as they are just for crazy people like me -

Reaper's Due is the latest and I like the new disease mechanics. The Plague actually is something to fear and you have to plan your campaigns around them. Also the risk that your favourite heir dies and the idiot 2nd son inherents goes up a lot. 8/10

Sword of Islam - torn on this one. Playing as the Muslim lords is dull and the decadence mechanic is annoying, but it makes them much easier to play against. Not sure how many of the mechanics are patched in and how many native to the DLC. 7/10

Conclave - Added Councils and ramped up the politics. Made the game much harder and might be a good one for the Xmas sales. 7/10 but makes politics in the game difficult.

Way of Life - Added character focuses a lot of new interactions and events. 7.5/10

Horse Lords - If you want to play a Steppe people you will want this, but probably best for later. 6/10

Charlemagne - Adds an earlier start to the game and an interesting set of event chains. But can be left for later. 7/10

Rajas of India - Never play an Indian prince but like them in the game as it gives the Caliphate something else to do other than destroy Byzantium too early. 7/10

Sons of Abraham - Added a bunch of religious stuff, half of which has been patched out of the game. Great flavour but not essential. Xmas or Easter sale 5/10.

The Old Gods - Essential. Vikings. Spread the Norse religion, instutionilise it and make the North of Europe free of the lambs of Christ. 10/10 (really, just Vikings!)

The Republic - I really enjoyed this one, although intyeract with it less. Play as Venice/Genoa or set up your own merchant republics. You play as members of the 4 main families in your Republic and you vie for control. There are a bunch of special expansion rules and even if you aren't Doge you get to act with your own retainers and mercs. 8/10

Sunset Invasion - Is fun exactly once. The Mongols turning up in the 1200s is bad enough. A bunch of superpowered Aztecs doing it in about 1100 is worse. No fun, unstoppable and painfully ahistorical. 4/10

Legacy of Rome - What is better than Vikings? Byzantium, or should I say The Roman Empire that didn't go away in the East (**** Gibbon and his pro Western sources, really). Makes Byzantium playable and fun. Must have (especially oif you are a Byzantium fan). 10/10

On content packs:
Highly recommend the portrait/faces packs as a minimum. Fewer generic characters and with a marriage to Ethiopia you can have a black King of France.

Hope that helps.

Cheers Dave! You went above and beyond there! Will let you know how I go.

Ended up getting the DLC pack that had everything except Reaper's Due.

I have no idea what I'm doing right now. Lol.

That Youtube guy you linked me to only seems to have EUIV videos.
Oh yeah. He would.

Ended up getting the DLC pack that had everything except Reaper's Due.

I have no idea what I'm doing right now. Lol.

That Youtube guy you linked me to only seems to have EUIV videos.
Try this guy.

Helpful videos, thanks Dave.

Had a muck around with playing as an Irish Petty King last night. Got married to a lovely and kind Norge princess and started pumping out the children, married my son off as well to a Spanish beauty. Kissed up to the Pope and also formed an Alliance with Harald Hardrada. Successfully waged a war and took back a county I had a De Jure claim on. The Earl from that County (who should have been honoured I rewarded his surrender with the title of Master of Alms) then plotted to fabricate a claim on my Kingdom so I imprisoned him and executed him. Amusingly, his ambitious son/heir liked me very much after that and became a happy and loyal little vassal.

I then fabricated a claim for another county and had the clear military advantage yet somehow got wiped out. I accidently had the game on max speed when I invaded and I couldn't work out how I lost because it happened so fast.

Fun though! Looking forward to starting over and mucking around with it again. Can't imagine how complex it must be playing as William the Conqueror or the Emperor of Rome.

Last edited:
Helpful videos, thanks Dave.

Had a muck around with playing as an Irish Petty King last night. Got married to a lovely and kind Norge princess and started pumping out the children, married my son off as well to a Spanish beauty. Kissed up to the Pope and also formed an Alliance with Harald Hardrada. Successfully waged a war and took back a county I had a De Jure claim on. The Earl from that County (who should have been honoured I rewarded his surrender with the title of Master of Alms) then plotted to fabricate a claim on my Kingdom so I imprisoned him and executed him. Amusingly, his ambitious son/heir liked me very much after that and became a happy and loyal little vassal.

I then fabricated a claim for another county and had the clear military advantage yet somehow got wiped out. I accidently had the game on max speed when I invaded and I couldn't work out how I lost because it happened so fast.

Fun though! Looking forward to starting over and mucking around with it again. Can't imagine how complex it must be playing as William the Conqueror or the Emperor of Rome.
Sounds like you are doing it right. :)

I was inspired to pick it up again (don't need a lot of prodding) and started another Byzantium game. Lowlight was the Emperor Leo being captured by the Emir of Edessa and paying a huge ransom to end a war I could easily have won given time. The Emir was an ally of The Emir of Tripoli who I was trying to snavel Antioch from. As soon as I settled a small invasion from the Arabs in Crete and got myself back in the black guess who I invaded. Needless to say the Doux of Edessa is very pleased with his new titles.

No one puts the Emperor of Rome in chains. :mad: :)

Just on imprisonment... do you have to eventually decide whether to release, execute, put in house arrest, put in the Oubliet or banish or can you just leave them as standard imprisoned? Are there penalties for that?
There are no penalties for imprisoning except his/her relatives (mostly) will not like you very much. That carries over if they die in your prisons. You don't have to decide but the penalty can be huge with that next young lordling who's dad died in custody.

Execution incurrs tyranny (-10 to realtionships with just about everyone, forever). As does revokation of titles unless they are a traitor. In that case the individual has a permanent -60 to their relationship with you.

Banishment of a landless person carries little risk, but banishment of a noble is high risk, high reward. You get all their titles but get a bigger tyranny penalty. Do it too often and none of your nobles will like you and factionalism will be rife.

With Rebellions led by your nobles I tend to hold them awhile and either ransom, revoke titles or let them languish on a case by case basis.

There are no penalties for imprisoning except his/her relatives (mostly) will not like you very much. That carries over if they die in your prisons. You don't have to decide but the penalty can be huge with that next young lordling who's dad died in custody.

Execution incurrs tyranny (-10 to realtionships with just about everyone, forever). As does revokation of titles unless they are a traitor. In that case the individual has a permanent -60 to their relationship with you.

Banishment of a landless person carries little risk, but banishment of a noble is high risk, high reward. You get all their titles but get a bigger tyranny penalty. Do it too often and none of your nobles will like you and factionalism will be rife.

With Rebellions led by your nobles I tend to hold them awhile and either ransom, revoke titles or let them languish on a case by case basis.
Sorry need to clarify. No penalties for imprisoning with good reason. Randomly imprisoning someone is not ideal. Not even sure if you can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh and with a traitor you can only revoke one title with no penalty. Normal penalties app,y following the first.
Best for removing duchies or counties from troublesome Dukes or taking counties from Counts altogether to give to your family members. If the Council doesn't stop you that is.

Davemonkey it feels like I am waiting around a lot (like letting years and years elapse). Is that normal? I enjoy the relaxed pace but I can't shake the feeling I am wasting time or opportunities or something.

Maybe it's just reflective of the life of an Irish Duke. Not a huge amount on your plate. I've got my Chancellor fabricating claims but it takes time.

Davemonkey it feels like I am waiting around a lot (like letting years and years elapse). Is that normal? I enjoy the relaxed pace but I can't shake the feeling I am wasting time or opportunities or something.

Maybe it's just reflective of the life of an Irish Duke. Not a huge amount on your plate. I've got my Chancellor fabricating claims but it takes time.
Yeah I would bump up the game speed. Duchies and Counties have a lot of down time. The speed control and auto-pause settings are your friends. Also depends how agressively you are playing. Expansion either comes dynastically (Hapsburg/Plantagenet method) or aggressively (Romanov/Bonaparte method). As an Irish duke I would be aiming to unify Ireland before the English or Scots come waltzing over the Irish Sea. I would also be trying to acquire titles for my sons by marrying them to landed ladies or heiresses. That way if your primary line dies off you can continue playing as the line that married a French heiress and now happens to be Duke of Champagne.

If you want a more active game, head to Spain, 1066 start. The Jimenez family that rules Leon, Castille and Navarra are a muderous bunch of bastards and you have a very messy Andalusia to the South that looks ripe for the plucking but not as vulnerable as it seems (avoid religious wars).

Thanks. I've definitely been using the speed settings which was the main reason I felt like I was wasting time as the years just flew by without me doing much. I guess I have to remind myself that I am playing as a dynasty and that not everything has to be done in one lifetime.

If you want a more active game, head to Spain, 1066 start. The Jimenez family that rules Leon, Castille and Navarra are a muderous bunch of bastards and you have a very messy Andalusia to the South that looks ripe for the plucking but not as vulnerable as it seems (avoid religious wars).

That's how I started out in CK2 - first playthrough as an Irish count, second one as a minor Spanish King. Starting as one of Leon, Castille or Aragon at 1066 gives you a lot of opportunities to react to what's going on around you - you can position yourself to inherit or invade your neighbour's kingdoms, or you can wait for a good moment to expand south into the Muslim lands.

Hispania is a relatively easy empire to form if you can get through the early game, and puts you in a strong position to crusade, declare holy wars, conquer vassal kingdoms whole, and build a really powerful realm. Creating an empire more or less from scratch allows you to structure a realm how you like it- high or low centralisation, narrow or expansive dynasty, primogeniture or elective succession, weak or strong vassals.

That's how I started out in CK2 - first playthrough as an Irish count, second one as a minor Spanish King. Starting as one of Leon, Castille or Aragon at 1066 gives you a lot of opportunities to react to what's going on around you - you can position yourself to inherit or invade your neighbour's kingdoms, or you can wait for a good moment to expand south into the Muslim lands.

Hispania is a relatively easy empire to form if you can get through the early game, and puts you in a strong position to crusade, declare holy wars, conquer vassal kingdoms whole, and build a really powerful realm. Creating an empire more or less from scratch allows you to structure a realm how you like it- high or low centralisation, narrow or expansive dynasty, primogeniture or elective succession, weak or strong vassals.
Aragon is probably the easiest dynastically, No Jimenez family politics to deal with, but the most vulnerable to the various Muslim states in Andalusia and you border several. There are also several sceanrio starts where France has claims on Rosello. If Aquitaine breaks away from France you are in a much stronger position.
However, as with history, you can set yourself up for a nice Mediterranean empire if you concentrate your marriages and conquests on Spain and Italy.

Not sure quite yet I've worked out the mechanics and tricks to strategic marriages in terms of growing my kingdom via inheritance. Any quick tips?
For sons.
- Oldest I will always prioritise an heiress or a sitting lady (Countess, Duchess, Queen) of childbearing age. You want your heir's heir to inherit both titles.
Next a major alliance - so if King of Scotland has a marriageable daughter betroth them - Non-Agression pact instantly and easier to build an alliance.
Otherwise go for stats, either Stewardship or Diplomacy as they add to yours (i.e. your heir's) when they inherit. If you are brave go for Intrigue but make sure you have a high intrigue yourself.
- Other sons - Marry them off to landed ladies if you can, otherwise go for alliances but make sure you have land to give them. Building baronies in existing counties you control is a good way to land an excess of sons.

Daughters
- Alliances basically with one big exception - if you heir is also your daughter you MUST make a matrilineal marriage in which case picking up a 2nd or 3rd son of a king or duke can be handy (I've inherited Kingdoms that way) or just get the best stats you can.

General
- Try and betrothe sons from as early as practical, especially to snap up that heiress or Countess etc.

Oh my goodness. What is this beautiful thread and where has it been all my life.

**subscribes immediately**

By the way I feel 2017 will be a ripping year. Last of Us 2 and Red Dead 2 just to name a few. It's going to be more exciting then a beastmode shotgun celebration.

I rediscovered another great game from the nineties; Railroad Tycoon.

Can't wait for Christmas. I have a Steam Link and a Steam Controller in the Santa Sack. 2 week's Christmas holiday is going to be fine and coucheriffic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back