Preserving history

Remove this Banner Ad

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
This is specifically re: footy on YouTube. Has anyone with the big enough hard drive space and a fair bit of time ever thought of backing up all the rare footy stuff on YouTube?

Particularly in the last 12 months the amount of great, previously inaccessible content has grown exponentially. FINALLY we are seeing non-Name a Game matches being released basically in full onto Youtube instead of greedy collectors holding onto games for no one but themselves.

My only worry is that one day someone might flick a switch and all of it is gone. There needs to be a backup. Who's keen?

This is specifically re: footy on YouTube. Has anyone with the big enough hard drive space and a fair bit of time ever thought of backing up all the rare footy stuff on YouTube?

Particularly in the last 12 months the amount of great, previously inaccessible content has grown exponentially. FINALLY we are seeing non-Name a Game matches being released basically in full onto Youtube instead of greedy collectors holding onto games for no one but themselves.

My only worry is that one day someone might flick a switch and all of it is gone. There needs to be a backup. Who's keen?
Ive backedup most things Adelaide, always open to trade my content. However most of the content on YouTube the quality has diminished :(

Ive backedup most things Adelaide, always open to trade my content. However most of the content on YouTube the quality has diminished :(

Good work, you do a good job. By quality do you mean picture quality, as in VHS deterioration?

It happens I guess, but I'd rather something that's watchable on a computer screen than nothing at all. You're right it is a shame though.

Good work, you do a good job. By quality do you mean picture quality, as in VHS deterioration?

It happens I guess, but I'd rather something that's watchable on a computer screen than nothing at all. You're right it is a shame though.
Both VHS and the upload its self, I came across a heap of videos recently from a friend in Wynyard, from the looks of it each tape is only 3-4 hours long so it was recorded at close to the best quality he could get, some are on 5-6 hours still pretty good, anything past and it drops away, but the actual conversion from VHS to MP4 and MP4 to YouTube is where most quality is lost, especially the latter as files are being compressed to go on YouTube

When I watch old videos I get nostalgic feeling. That feeling is very strong. My mind says I should not watch it because then I get very emotional and I cannot able to stop thinking about that. Anyways, with the change in technology, preserving historical videos and images will be better.

When I watch old videos I get nostalgic feeling. That feeling is very strong. My mind says I should not watch it because then I get very emotional and I cannot able to stop thinking about that. Anyways, with the change in technology, preserving historical videos and images will be better.

Lmao. Are you a robot?

The major free to air channels have a lot to answer for. So much quality footage lost. I've heard rumours of tv stations refusing to build bigger store rooms for reel storage. Such a shame. Inundation of footage of the past 20 years doesn't counteract lost footage of yesteryears.

There is a couple of great websites dedicated to sharing videos of the WAFL & SANFL in their heyday.

So many games I've watched and thought " *, I was at that game "

Already all over melbourne stuff.

Got GF 39
vs Hawthorn 64
vs Carlton 67
Those are not full but because they're rare i'm all over them. Anything else i find is going straight to the hard drive

i've started in earnest putting my VHS tapes on DVD and uploading interviews news reports etc in fact last night i uploaded the 1998 footy opener

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone know who owns the copyright for old footage? I've got a fair bit of old Melbourne stuff that I converted from VHS but am hesitant to put it up on YouTube in case it infringes copyright.

Tbh just do it, everyone does. Here's the rub with most of the old footy stuff on YouTube. Either the game you uploaded is old, non Name-a-Game stuff that doesn't get recognised by AFL's content recogniser and it'll be all as normal. Or the game you uploaded gets content matched with the AFL (it might be a newer video) and the AFL take any ad revenue from the video while still leaving it up as you please.

It's a win win for all. There's more historical footy content on there than ever before, while the AFL gets their dosh through people watching stuff that I guess other people have done the hard work for them. Surprised they didn't think of it earlier, but I'm not complaining!

I'd still like to know how the copyright works for this old stuff all the same. Say I have a copy of an old Saturday night Replay from 1988 converted from a VHS recording - you can't get these games or the replay through any other means. Do channel 7 and/or the AFL still own copyright of the content?

I'd still like to know how the copyright works for this old stuff all the same. Say I have a copy of an old Saturday night Replay from 1988 converted from a VHS recording - you can't get these games or the replay through any other means. Do channel 7 and/or the AFL still own copyright of the content?

I would assume HSV-7 still own the content even if they have destroyed it.

The_Wookie is a clever man and may know more than me though.

Copyright is still held by the broadcaster/AFL at the time. Availability is irrelevant.

Copyright is still held by the broadcaster/AFL at the time. Availability is irrelevant.

Cheers - do you know how long the copyright lasts? Is it in perpetuity, 100 years, 30 years etc? I remember trying to look it up some time ago but couldn't find a satisfactory answer.

Cheers - do you know how long the copyright lasts? Is it in perpetuity, 100 years, 30 years etc? I remember trying to look it up some time ago but couldn't find a satisfactory answer.

According to Wikipedia
"Television and sound broadcasts are copyright for only fifty years after the year of their first broadcast (though the material contained in the broadcast may be separately copyrighted). Most other works are also dated from the first publication/broadcast/performance where this occurred after the author's death."
ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_law_of_Australia

Ive posted some games up, none have been removed or anything as of yet. I did provide each with a disclaimer stating i did not own the copyright and that if the footage would be removed straight away if I was to be found in breach

Ive posted some games up, none have been removed or anything as of yet. I did provide each with a disclaimer stating i did not own the copyright and that if the footage would be removed straight away if I was to be found in breach

The AFL has a tendency with match footage to claim copyright but just claim the advertising revenue from it and still leave it up. Its other fox and fta AFL programs that can get hit with strikes.

The AFL has a tendency with match footage to claim copyright but just claim the advertising revenue from it and still leave it up. Its other fox and fta AFL programs that can get hit with strikes.

Yeah I have close to 100 videos up now including a number of docos and the only strike I got hit with was for uploading The Chosen Few 2. Even though The Chosen Few 1 is up there... it must have had something to do with being a new release at the time. It's lapsed now anyway, thankfully.

Yeah I have close to 100 videos up now including a number of docos and the only strike I got hit with was for uploading The Chosen Few 2. Even though The Chosen Few 1 is up there... it must have had something to do with being a new release at the time. It's lapsed now anyway, thankfully.

yeah you get 6 months where you have to take it easy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back