katana

Club Legend
Jul 12, 2013
Northcote
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Christmas songs are like much else, songs about seasons, cities, etc. The corny gimmick of their concept seems to reflect the corny gimmick of The Modern Christmas in some sort of irony that shields the songs from really being either legitimate pieces of art, or criticised as so. People seem to accept them in a very similar way to their acceptance of the actual Christmas event.

There's the classics:

Covering a Christmas Carol seemed to be a staple for mid-late 2000s indie bands:

And a couple of my favourites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b8dT_OpHuQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv-GUPMviso

Anyone have any others they love/would like to share ('tis the season)? What's the appeal of Christmas songs to you? What makes a good Christmas song from a bad one? What are the terrible ones that you still kinda tolerate?

There are so many great Christmas songs.

Fairytale of New York and How to Make Gravy are my two personal favourites.

Fiona Apple - Frosty the Snowman
Nat King Cole - The Christmas Song
Ron Sexmith - Maybe This Christmas
John Denver with the Muppets - 12 Days of Christmas

Type in any great Christmas standard into a streaming service and most of the classics have been done so well by so many great artists. The Jackson 5, Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Nat King Cole, Willie Nelson, The Beach Boys, The Crystals...

I have loads of great Christmas compilations of different genres. Soul, jazz, country, indie, folk...

Christmas is a great time for music !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just finished playing in a Christmas concert. I have to admit to loving playing this one.

I always think the best ones aren't s**t, cringeworthy covers, but are normal songs generally just about christmas: I like the idea of this Los Campesinos! song... nice little tidbit, the trains not running, being stretched out to say something.

Wait, that song *in sucks, like a lot of LC! does these days. This one is pretty good though, nice structure:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back