News Geoff Walsh to Return to Collingwood? - Now confirmed post #129

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree, the nostalgic bullshit makes me sick.

Can we just get the best administrators/coaches/players etc. regardless of the fact if they've been associated with the club in the past in some way? If the best fit is a son of a great/former player/coach and the like, then thats fine.

But if not, its just total junk. I want the best for this football club going forward, I don't want it turning into a window into the past just for the sake of it.

The problem is we have so many fans who think it's okay to open up a past players retirement home at the Westpac Centre. How many times do we hear on this board "Get Monkhurst for ruck coach" "Get Wright for list manager" "Bring back Scott Burns" etc etc etc. So many of our own fans live in the past & are reflecting the same naive thinking the club has when it comes to appointments. We are in the predicament we are right now with the coach because Ed went with the romantic option like a fan would, instead of searching far & wide for Mick's successor. We didn't get the best candidate we got Ed's favourite. We continue to make the same mistakes because the same people are still running the club.

Edit. I have no problem with the Walsh appointment. This isn't a jobs for the boys appointment. First & foremost Walsh is a North Melbourne man.

I have no idea if Walshy is any good at his job but in saying that he is a football person with experience, knows Collingwood, would understand Buckley, sounds good to me!

The difficulty we have is how late the Allan ban came and you could probably blame the AFL there for not wanting to take Whitfield out of the finals. Most experienced football or list managers from other clubs are contracted, so the ability to poach a Wright or Hocking is limited. With Walsh having a reduced role at NM it's easier to get around his contract. The other option is an internal candidate (Wagner, Pert) however they'd also need to be replaced and we seem more keen to bring in an external person. The only thing that comes to mind there is perhaps Wagner is in the Balme mould and we want a tougher football manager?

The difficulty we have is how late the Allan ban came and you could probably blame the AFL there for not wanting to take Whitfield out of the finals. Most experienced football or list managers from other clubs are contracted, so the ability to poach a Wright or Hocking is limited. With Walsh having a reduced role at NM it's easier to get around his contract. The other option is an internal candidate (Wagner, Pert) however they'd also need to be replaced and we seem more keen to bring in an external person. The only thing that comes to mind there is perhaps Wagner is in the Balme mould and we want a tougher football manager?
Can just imagine the AFL's thought process behind the timing too...

Gil: "Ok, we can get this done with quickly, but that would put our baby GWS at a disadvantage losing a player during finals. We can delay it until after the finals, but then we'd probably have to strip our baby of draft picks. Can't have that either. Let's delay it until right before the draft, then we can use the excuse that it was too late to strip GWS of picks and hopefully everyone will have forgotten by next year and they can keep their 2017 picks too!"

Gil's secretary: "But won't that screw over the AFL's biggest club and money maker who help to pay for teams like GWS? It will be way too late for them to get a new Football Manager by the time Gubby is suspended..."

Gil: "I'm cool with that."

The difficulty we have is how late the Allan ban came and you could probably blame the AFL there for not wanting to take Whitfield out of the finals. do anything about it until forced to by the leak.

EFA ;)

Most experienced football or list managers from other clubs are contracted, so the ability to poach a Wright or Hocking is limited. With Walsh having a reduced role at NM it's easier to get around his contract. The other option is an internal candidate (Wagner, Pert) however they'd also need to be replaced and we seem more keen to bring in an external person. The only thing that comes to mind there is perhaps Wagner is in the Balme mould and we want a tougher football manager?

Another option is to recruit from outside of the AFL altogether.

Heck, I just googled PSV Eindhoven and it turns out their General Manager is an ex-volleyball coach.

EFA ;)

Heck, I just googled PSV Eindhoven and it turns out their General Manager is an ex-volleyball coach.
The AFL sat on their hands for 15 months before the leak came out, which was in late August. I think we can blame both; the leak for forcing the AFL's hand and finals for the delaying the outcome. Stripping a club of one of their best players on the eve of finals wouldn't be good PR and would likely met with greater resistance by Whitfield and GWS.

GWS and Whitfield have came out of this better than Collingwood and Brisbane. There's a lot not right with that, but we could have done more ourselves. Losing Balme to Richmond just 2 weeks after the leak wasn't good business and we should have future proofed a potential Allan ban.

Recruitment outside of the AFL system is well worth considering and if Pert leaves I hope we go that way with the CEO position where the scope to do so is potentially greater.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

EFA ;)

Coincidentally PSV Eindhoven was my former club. The Dutch League isn't big enough and talented coaches and players will leave and only come back at the end of their career. Some left field selections are not out of the ordinary .
And make no mistake, about 14 Million people in Holland have an opinion about their soccer team and know how to run it. All you need to do is ask. And even that is not always required

EFA ;)

Our football is generally very insular.
Can only think of Ric Charlseworth at Fremantle from outside in a reasonable football role

Coincidentally PSV Eindhoven was my former club. The Dutch League isn't big enough and talented coaches and players will leave and only come back at the end of their career. Some left field selections are not out of the ordinary .
And make no mistake, about 14 Million people in Holland have an opinion about their soccer team and know how to run it. All you need to do is ask. And even that is not always required
Ah Dutch soccer.
Total football.

And total opinions too.....

Still think hitting the bar of the goals Argentina v Netherlands World Cup final still hurts.
Could have been a Dutch win.

But not to be

Not much different to
GWS
Richmond
Brisbane
Gold Coast
Port
Administrators do move around a bit
Should have include

Western Bulldogs

They've chopped and changed too

Coincidentally PSV Eindhoven was my former club.

You played?

The Dutch League isn't big enough and talented coaches and players will leave and only come back at the end of their career. Some left field selections are not out of the ordinary .

But there is a bit of migration around Europe? IIRC one the Dutch Internationals was recently manager of Southampton FC?

So it's just like Collingwood then?

The great upshot of the director role was all of this happened without our actual input.
All GWS, yet they have the least of the punishments.
Almost comical.

Wether our checks on Mr Allan should have been better is another question.

But that's life in sport

The comings and goings in the administration of our club are like a soap opera. So unstable. Just want it to stop.

It'll settle down; and for now, Marcus Wagner is a familiar face for the playing and coaching group.
Gubby [and co] managed to move on most of the poor users of the footy before he fell on his sword, for which I am very grateful. We've had better trade periods, but I like the look of the list.
If Walshy's coming in to be a steady, experienced hand on the tiller in 2017, I'm all for it.
If it also presages Pert's departure, I'll be ecstatic [and it'd be nice if the next CEO is top-shelf from outside the club somewhere, although for all I know, someone else already at the club might do the job very well anyway].

The AFL sat on their hands for 15 months before the leak came out, which was in late August. I think we can blame both; the leak for forcing the AFL's hand and finals for the delaying the outcome. Stripping a club of one of their best players on the eve of finals wouldn't be good PR and would likely met with greater resistance by Whitfield and GWS.

GWS and Whitfield have came out of this better than Collingwood and Brisbane. There's a lot not right with that, ...

So true

... but we could have done more ourselves. Losing Balme to Richmond just 2 weeks after the leak wasn't good business and we should have future proofed a potential Allan ban.

The club claimed at the time that contingency plans were in place. It turns out that wasn't the case - unless you consider Wagner to be a contingency plan.

Whatever opinions are of Wagner, he had only weeks earlier been promoted to add the Women's Football team to his list of responsibilities. He would have already had his hands full.

Recruitment outside of the AFL system is well worth considering and if Pert leaves I hope we go that way with the CEO position where the scope to do so is potentially greater.

Pert had been CEO of the Austero network before, so in a way he had external experience.

It's an interesting thought. Whilst many companies out there have a role called 'CEO', I don't think that translates to those people being suitable to be CEO of Collingwood.

Being CEO of a for-profit is quite different to being CEO for a non-for-profit entity such as Collingwood. ( ColinWood knows more about that stuff than I do)

Being CEO of some anonymous global international company that makes toothpicks is very different to being CEO of an organisation such as Collingwood where an army of passionate followers put every decision under the microscope. How many CEO's out there have whole internet forums full of dedicated passionate people who invest enormous amounts of their time holding the CEO's organisation to account? :)

Last edited:
The great upshot of the director role was all of this happened without our actual input.
All GWS, yet they have the least of the punishments.
Almost comical.

Wether our checks on Mr Allan should have been better is another question.

But that's life in sport

GWS and AFL had conducted investigations. We got a stat dec out of Gubby before he joined. Don't know that there's too much we could have reasonably done TBH.

You played?

But there is a bit of migration around Europe? IIRC one the Dutch Internationals was recently manager of Southampton FC?

So it's just like Collingwood then?
No didn't play, just support. Never even played soccer . I was into fieldhockey and volleyball.
It is a bit like Collingwood but the engagement is nothing to the extent as it is here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back