EXPANDING the SANFL - PROMOTION and RELEGATION ... its time!

Should the SANFL adopt promotion + relegation?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand the AFL are going to end transfer money. We are bracing for a huge exodus of players from Tasmania to VFL & NEAFL if it happens. I'm not sure if this will apply to SANFL/WAFL as well. Also starting a player points system here which will further limit clubs ability to recruit. I see the demise of club football above completely amateur levels here very soon.
End transfer money where? Within AFL controlled state leagues?
As it stands in SA at the moment, clubs no longer get set amounts from the AFL once a player is drafted, play their first game, 50 games etc etc. Now every club gets a set development grant from the AFL. So while West Adelaide had 7 players drafted from their premiership side last year they received the same amount as a club that had none drafted. It also doesn't differentiate between a gun 18yo that is pick 1. It's a shocking system that doesn't reward clubs with good development programs. I can't remember why they changed it, Warren Partland explained it to me briefly one day but I've forgotten.

Something further to consider in this discussion.

With the SA and WA state leagues both suffering from similar "experiments" by their respective commissions, I see a need for members to push for an alignment of the two states and to bring about a more balanced and effective model for the development of football outside of Victoria.

The following is what I would be pushing for to get things into a better position.
  1. Remove both football commissions and create a State League Commission that overseas the development of the game in WA and SA (to be expanded into other states). This would ensure that their is one voice when dealing with the AFL as they work off the divide and conquer approach ith each state league at the moment
  2. Both leagues manage the AFL reserve clubs in the same way. Each of Port, Adelaide, West Coast and Freo have their own clubs in the WAFL and SANFL respectively and are ineligible for finals. The AFL clubs are effectively treated as mini FA cup matches akin to the English Football Association competition, the difference being that they play for premiership points
  3. Both the SANFL and WAFL introduce promotion and relegation and become actual WA and SA leagues not Perth and Adelaide football leagues as they currently operate. In an SA sense, this would see the Southern league, Murray League, Hills League, Amateur league and possibly the West cost and SE league A grade finalists playing off against each other following the H&A season to gain promotion. It would either be a 1 up and 1 down or 2 up and 2 down model. IN WA this would see the southern, Goldfields and Midwest leagues playing off to select a club or two for promotion
  4. Arrange broadcast rights with Channel 9 and Optus. Dont align to the AFL, but create an alternative.
  5. If all the above worked and there was sufficient increase in spectators and media, then move to create a Championship League which would run nationally and form a true second tier comp to the AFL administered by the State League Commission. This would have the top 2 clubs from the WAFL, SANFL and possibly 1 from the TSL and non aligned VFL clubs. This would provide a strong foundation for players that miss the AFL draft and for other over age players looking to enter the AFL. It would continue with 9 and Optus for media.
The non-Victorian leagues need some revitalisation of football as we know it will slowly die and be reduced to an under 18 competition in each state and the AFL and very little in between other than suburban amateur competitions.
I like some of these ideas, mainly the unification of WA and SA as controlling bodies to front the AFL and some form of a championship league, in time and with stability is be happy to look at promotion and relegation.
The problem I see is the AFL's aversion to have any other form of footy that put up another option to their protected franchises. They may have softened towards this under McLachlin but when Vlad was in charge he was outwardly aggressive towards any marketing and stance that the SANFL would take when promoting themselves as a realistic alternative to AFL. He did everything he could to undermine the comp.
What an absolute c*** of a man.

I like some of these ideas, mainly the unification of WA and SA as controlling bodies to front the AFL and some form of a championship league, in time and with stability is be happy to look at promotion and relegation.
The problem I see is the AFL's aversion to have any other form of footy that put up another option to their protected franchises. They may have softened towards this under McLachlin but when Vlad was in charge he was outwardly aggressive towards any marketing and stance that the SANFL would take when promoting themselves as a realistic alternative to AFL. He did everything he could to undermine the comp.
What an absolute c*** of a man.

The AFL is fully focused on maintaining themselves as the only league with a U18 comp and amateurs. The problem is that it completely erodes growth of the game as there is only a few hundred players on the 18 clubs within the AFL. So a player that doesnt get drafted or wants to come over from another country it is a high risk gamble that few will make.

Having SA and WA unite ensures that there is a more united front to the AFL

Not possible, as the AFL clubs fund the WAFL and the VFL, NEAFL and TSL survive only on what the AFL deems to be absolutely necessary. Tas league has folded once and is on the brink of doing so again because of inept and corrupt local management, and AFL domination of major decisions anyway.

SANFL may be struggling by its standards, but it so far ahead of WAFL and VFL financially it is the only thing (very slightly) standing between the AFL's 100% control of every game played in the sport. Anyone trying to do anything against the AFL's express wishes will be bankrupted very quickly.

Not possible, as the AFL clubs fund the WAFL and the VFL, NEAFL and TSL survive only on what the AFL deems to be absolutely necessary. Tas league has folded once and is on the brink of doing so again because of inept and corrupt local management, and AFL domination of major decisions anyway.

SANFL may be struggling by its standards, but it so far ahead of WAFL and VFL financially it is the only thing (very slightly) standing between the AFL's 100% control of every game played in the sport. Anyone trying to do anything against the AFL's express wishes will be bankrupted very quickly.

Yep. The AFL wants total control & will accept no care or responsibility for any damage done. IMHO

The only reason it may be so far ahead is because they still have too large a say in Adelaide oval and make too much money there from Port and crows games.

I would like to see SANFL in its current form disappear to be replaced by a new state body (SAFL) who is responsible for AFL in South Australia but is governed directly by the AFL under a single and unified national system.

I would like to see SANFL in its current form disappear to be replaced by a new state body (SAFL) who is responsible for AFL in South Australia but is governed directly by the AFL under a single and unified national system.
So "South AFL"? Right. Jeez you've turned out the brain cells for this idea haven't you!
Get the AFL to govern AFL in South Australia. Groundbreaking!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not saying the SANFL are geniuses.
But they could of dug their heels on and kept AFL out at FP. Thankfully they agreed to the move and as such need to be adequately compensated
Not if the money being made from football is then pissed up the wall by poor managment and stupid decisions.

Now that wouldn't make much sense

Having the AFL which is currently controlled by ten Victorian clubs being the majority of the clubs that vote on the AFL commission

Controlling football in this state, is this why you barrack for Port?

So the SAFL would govern the AFL? o_O

The AFL is a league, not a sport. A pet peeve of mine, and yes, I'm pedantic.

Back