Play Nice The CAS Appeal thread - update: appeal fails (11/10/16)

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you just ignorant or you just don't know the rules after all this time. Firstly, even in criminal cases, you do not need absolute proof to get a conviction. You only need evidence that suggests guilt beyond reasonable doubt. In the case of doping, you even need less. You just need to be comfortably satisfied they were guilty.

The problem with the Essendon 34 is they had NO DEFENCE. Not one shred of evidence was given to show that they were injected with just permitted substances. In the case of thymosin, there was not a single invoice, receipt of payment, order form, nothing to show that it was thymomodulin or thymosin alpha. Don't you think that if they had been administered this type of thymosin there would be SOME evidence it was bought from a supplier? None.

So it doesn't matter what the players said/claimed/gave as evidence. Unless their defence team could actually substantiate their story by showing actual evidence that they bought what they claimed, they could never be believed even if that's what they thought they received.

The prosecution had plenty of evidence that TB4 was the thymosin that they had consented to. The manufacturer that sold it to Charters who then gave it to Alavi for Dank testified it was TB4. Alavi's assistant said it was TB4.

Dank cannot be believed. He has never come up with the evidence he claims he has despite multiple opportunities.

There has been no miscarriage of justice here. The players took a banned substance and under the rules were banned for a year. Whether they did it intentionally is another matter. However, they were not ever going to be found innocent and a precedent set that destruction of records of substances that are almost impossible to detect, allows you to dope without fear of prosecution. WADA was never going to let that happen. The players should count themselves lucky they only got one year and not two.

You can't say they took illegal substances , you don't know, either do I. Lots of people think they know , because as you said you don't need absolute proof to get a conviction (wonderful justice that is?) "what was that? judge old son?:
Aah just enough for some judge to decide yeah the evidence is "just enough not total" but just enough for me. GUILTY. After three or so years and all sorts of bulldust spread all over the AFL ,CAS SAYS , YOU ARE GUILTY YOU SWINE, TO GUILLOTINE!
I have never read such tripe from, who are you , scroll back, ancient tiger, fair dinkum mate, if there has ever been a case of any sort where with no real justice being dispersed this is it.
For 34 people to not have a reason for thinking they are totally innocent ,and for you to assume that you know they are all completely guilty, the way this bullshit case was handled , then you have the bias about the guilt not me.
I don't know but I do know that players said they were innocent of knowledge of what they honestly thought was a sport supplement, the rules saying you must know what your taking , thats what they were penalised on the year off! ou do understand that as it gets deeper don't you. They broke the rule of NOT REALLY KNOWING WHAT THEY WERE TAKING? There for according to the attack dog and WADA and CAS, THEY MUST HAVE BEEN USING DRUGS,
funny word drugs, is a sport supplement a drug , maybe its called that by some maybe not by others, I don't know , you will say you do, but you don't.
So by my reckoning ASAD WADA CAS , just assumed that because they didn't know or thought they were taking something illegal and they didn't know , that they must have been taking illegal performance enhancing DRUGS, just had to be illegal, and you say in this case that the authority had no need to prove this absolutely. Well I reckon they should have to be absolute and I reckon one ounce of doubt can cause a point where a step back is needed, another look at the reality of all those situation which there were many , that could have been judged , every word said between countless people every injection every comment , your right they couldn't prove they were not guilty , the authority also couldn't prove they were guilty. Full stop.
Now have some fun with that.
And remember this, if the judge in a certain country we know, says absolute proof is NOT needed against lets say you old tiger to find you guilty. Well??????
While you are waiting for the firing squad, I will demand that absolute proof IS required.
I'd stand beside you as support, oh, except when the bullet gets fired .
I'll probably have left that country by then. HA !
PLUS TO ALL OTHERS, A TROLL LIVES UNDER A BRIDGE, AND EATS GOATS ?

Joon is a pro-troll, best ignore it
Heh heh heh ! Wait til you see my next post, to the Ancient Tiger, his fingers will drop off.

Doesn't mean I m not serious. But thank you for the compliment.

I can understand that this subject is sending many people crazy.

But I was only answering. Good luck .

You can't say they took illegal substances , you don't know, either do I. Lots of people think they know , because as you said you don't need absolute proof to get a conviction (wonderful justice that is?) "what was that? judge old son?:
Aah just enough for some judge to decide yeah the evidence is "just enough not total" but just enough for me. GUILTY. After three or so years and all sorts of bulldust spread all over the AFL ,CAS SAYS , YOU ARE GUILTY YOU SWINE, TO GUILLOTINE!
I have never read such tripe from, who are you , scroll back, ancient tiger, fair dinkum mate, if there has ever been a case of any sort where with no real justice being dispersed this is it.
For 34 people to not have a reason for thinking they are totally innocent ,and for you to assume that you know they are all completely guilty, the way this bullshit case was handled , then you have the bias about the guilt not me.
I don't know but I do know that players said they were innocent of knowledge of what they honestly thought was a sport supplement, the rules saying you must know what your taking , thats what they were penalised on the year off! ou do understand that as it gets deeper don't you. They broke the rule of NOT REALLY KNOWING WHAT THEY WERE TAKING? There for according to the attack dog and WADA and CAS, THEY MUST HAVE BEEN USING DRUGS,
funny word drugs, is a sport supplement a drug , maybe its called that by some maybe not by others, I don't know , you will say you do, but you don't.
So by my reckoning ASAD WADA CAS , just assumed that because they didn't know or thought they were taking something illegal and they didn't know , that they must have been taking illegal performance enhancing DRUGS, just had to be illegal, and you say in this case that the authority had no need to prove this absolutely. Well I reckon they should have to be absolute and I reckon one ounce of doubt can cause a point where a step back is needed, another look at the reality of all those situation which there were many , that could have been judged , every word said between countless people every injection every comment , your right they couldn't prove they were not guilty , the authority also couldn't prove they were guilty. Full stop.
And remember this, if the judge in a certain country we know, says absolute proof is NOT needed against lets say you old tiger to find you guilty. Well??????
While you are waiting for the firing squad, I will demand that absolute proof IS required.
THE PRISONS ARE FULL OF INNOCENT PEOPLE......

You can believe in fairies too.

When Dank told a friend of mine he was injecting Essendon players with growth hormone stimulating substances and that friend ended up being an important WADA witness then I knew the players were not just taking innocent sports supplements. I have proof I knew this a year before the announcement to the public.

I just say to you grow up man. Open your eyes. There is only one reason that Dank has refused to front any tribunal. He is GUILTY. And if he is guilty, so are the players, whether they knew what they were taking or not. Ignorance is no defence in many crimes, especially doping.

Are you just ignorant or you just don't know the rules after all this time.

ancient_aliens_both_by_theporkchopexpress-da316kc.jpg

What a deluded post.

Well I reckon they should have to be absolute and I reckon one ounce of doubt can cause a point where a step back is needed,.

Not even in our criminal justice system do we use this, we use beyond reasonable doubt not beyond all doubt. Beyond reasonable doubt allows some doubt.

If we move to this level of proof needed in sport all it would do is allow people to dope to the eye balls with things there is no yes / no test for. Even threshold testing of things like HgH would be useless as always be able to find some doctor willing to make a quick buck by saying any level could be natural to cast some doubt.

Last edited:
You can believe in fairies too.

When Dank told a friend of mine he was injecting Essendon players with growth hormone stimulating substances and that friend ended up being an important WADA witness then I knew the players were not just taking innocent sports supplements. I have proof I knew this a year before the announcement to the public.

I just say to you grow up man. Open your eyes. There is only one reason that Dank has refused to front any tribunal. He is GUILTY. And if he is guilty, so are the players, whether they knew what they were taking or not. Ignorance is no defence in many crimes, especially doping.

Well well well, so you have proof have you? This is really good news , I'd suggest that to end all the arguing you produce this evidence and present it to the AFL, ring up ASADA and WADA and Cas, and enlighten us all on the fact that you, one year before the announcement knew what they were taking and you know personally a WADA witness , and you knew Dank was feeding them illegal substances and Dank knew what he was giving them and confided in you or your friend the witness. Is that what you are saying.
My argument about the good or the bad side of Dank has never been anything but that he is /was /maybe shonky.
That has nothing to do with proving what 34 people knew what they were or were not taking or being given by Dank or anyone else!.
You see, some or one or all, might have thought it was all above board, in their own minds and what shoots down any argument against absolute proof is the fact that even if one was absolutely positive that they did not know that what they were injected with may have been illegal, that takes me back to my original argument which is not about drugsd or supplements or even pain killing injections , its about a rule which creates injustice , and hurts some innocent or all innocent people, as did a twelve month suspension which some players could not believe.
Got , any idea where I'm coming from. And when will you present your proving evidence?

They warned you. I'll debate you til the cows come home. I know there are a million different ways this whole episode can be looked at , one thing that is absolute that is THERE IS A DOUBT!
Even the tiniest doubt over losing a year off football and being labelled a cheat, is in the end a dirty great rotten injustice, and if one was unjustly treated maybe all were.
Spruke your legal knowledge it doesn't matter, you I'm sure would not want to be shot with one ounce of doubt surrounding your case.

Spruke your legal knowledge it doesn't matter, you I'm sure would not want to be shot with one ounce of doubt surrounding your case.
Now if only the players were actually able to provide a single ounce of evidence to support the scatter-gun doubt they were trying to introduce. There was plenty of information shown in the tribunal that supported doping. The only evidence to support the non-doping option was proven unreliable, or straight out fabrication.

Well well well, so you have proof have you? This is really good news , I'd suggest that to end all the arguing you produce this evidence and present it to the AFL, ring up ASADA and WADA and Cas, and enlighten us all on the fact that you, one year before the announcement knew what they were taking and you know personally a WADA witness , and you knew Dank was feeding them illegal substances and Dank knew what he was giving them and confided in you or your friend the witness. Is that what you are saying.
My argument about the good or the bad side of Dank has never been anything but that he is /was /maybe shonky.
That has nothing to do with proving what 34 people knew what they were or were not taking or being given by Dank or anyone else!.
You see, some or one or all, might have thought it was all above board, in their own minds and what shoots down any argument against absolute proof is the fact that even if one was absolutely positive that they did not know that what they were injected with may have been illegal, that takes me back to my original argument which is not about drugsd or supplements or even pain killing injections , its about a rule which creates injustice , and hurts some innocent or all innocent people, as did a twelve month suspension which some players could not believe.
Got , any idea where I'm coming from. And when will you present your proving evidence?

They warned you. I'll debate you til the cows come home. I know there are a million different ways this whole episode can be looked at , one thing that is absolute that is THERE IS A DOUBT!
Even the tiniest doubt over losing a year off football and being labelled a cheat, is in the end a dirty great rotten injustice, and if one was unjustly treated maybe all were.
You obviously haven't been reading this saga from the start. Can you read? My evidence is that I knew what Dank was doing because the ASADA/WADA witness told me what Dank directly told him. They don't need me. What I have is hearsay. They already have the original person - the witness. They don't need me.

The 34 players should have taken a deal because they had NO IDEA what they took and had zero evidence to help them build a defence. As such they should have said "we may be guilty, but we don't know". They would have got a slap on the wrist and hardly missed a game. Instead they went around with the ludicrous stance of "we don't know what we took but we are certain they are not banned substances". Without any evidence to show they took permitted substances they were always doomed. Despite what you think, every accused person needs a defence. The players had none. How did they expect to win?

Wow ... the rage is strong in this one.

Of course there is some doubt. This was not a "no doubt" finding. It wasn't even required to be a "beyond reasonable doubt" finding. It was somewhere between "comfortable satisfaction" and "beyond reasonable doubt".

Vested interest, much? Seems out of place for a "Hawthorn supporter".

Wow ... the rage is strong in this one.

Of course there is some doubt. This was not a "no doubt" finding. It wasn't even required to be a "beyond reasonable doubt" finding. It was somewhere between "comfortable satisfaction" and "beyond reasonable doubt".

Vested interest, much? Seems out of place for a "Hawthorn supporter".
It was a comfortable satisfaction decision ie It was somewhere between "balance of probabilities" and "beyond reasonable doubt".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You see, some or one or all, might have thought it was all above board, in their own minds and what shoots down any argument against absolute proof is the fact that even if one was absolutely positive that they did not know that what they were injected with may have been illegal,/QUOTE]

I'm sure you meant prohibited, not illegal.

Try these on for size.

I didn't know I was over .05, your honor.
I didn't have my car serviced, so I didn't know my brakes would fail and I'd run into all those pedestrians. Your honor.
I didn't know my boat had to have life jackets in it.
I didn't know.....

Nobody gives a s**t.

Last edited:
LOL.

Are they still running with the "the players took the good Thymosin" argument?

I look forward to their reporting of how many times this "good Thymosin" was declared to ASADA.
As you ask, so you shall be provided!

It gets a run in "Exhibit G". it's like a time-warp, going back over all the fun times on the HTB and picking out highlights - very targeted highlights.
I did chuckle at the last "witness", given the recent discussions in various threads here, on the "governance v doping" club penalty debate - not that I want to start that one again in here!

https://www.change.org/p/senator-ri...ng-case-against-the-34-efc-players/u/18676556

Exhibit G: The Spreadsheet/List found at Essendon Football Club.

From an article "Evidence omitted from ASADA report on Dons" dated August 31, 2013 Chip Le Grand, The Australian
"......The AFL did not include Thymomodulin on a list of substances it suspected of being given to Essendon players in the 2012 season."

"The Weekend Australian can reveal ASADA was provided with evidence showing that about half of Essendon's playing group were administered with Thymomodulin over a four-month period."

“A spreadsheet retrieved by the club from Dank's computer log-in at Windy Hill shows a schedule of Thymomodulin injections given to Essendon players over 16 weeks. The spread sheet is titled "2012 THYMODULIN".

Note: Thymomodulin, also known as Thymosin, is NOT on the ASADA/WADA banned list.
Source: (care:paywall) http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...a-report-on-dons/story-fnca0u4y-1226707923613

Witness #5 James Hird. Former player and coach, Essendon Football Club
James Hird claims he has seen evidence that Essendon players were administered the legal drug thymomodulin
"I've seen records of players having taken thymomodulin," he said on Fox Footy's AFL 360. "Those records were given to [then CEO] Ian Robson, who gave them to ASADA, and ASADA, my understanding is they have those records of Essendon players taking thymomodulin”.
When told that was "a big accusation", Hird said: "It's not an accusation, it's a fact".

Source: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/afl...pplements-saga-and-asada-20150512-gh0c3s.html

Witness #6. Mark Thompson. Former player, assistant and coach, Essendon Football Club.
Mark Thompson backs James Hird's 'supplements paperwork' claim Mark Thompson has backed James Hird's claims there had been documents detailing Essendon's 2012 injecting program – but he would not confirm the paperwork was handed to investigators.
Hird dropped a bombshell on Fox Sport's AFL 360 program that evening, saying he had seen written records showing the 34 past and present players had been injected with legal substance thymomodulin, and that those documents had been handed to the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority.
Thompson, Hird's former deputy who filled the senior coaching position in 2014, told the same television show he had seen the records Hird had described. He said he had seen a spreadsheet with "Thymomodulin" as a heading, listing players' names and when they received doses. "[It showed] week one, week two and when they had it," Thompson said.
But Thompson did not confirm it had been given to ASADA. "I don't know where it was given, but I've seen it and I assume they took all the paperwork," he said.
Source: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/afl...s-supplements-paperwork-claim-20150514-gh1hag

Witness #7 Simon Madden. Former player and Essendon Football Club Board Member.

From an ABC TV interview with Libbi Gorr.

Gorr “…We don’t know what the players were injected with..”
Madden: “In actual…well..I don’t want this conversation taken out of context but..they, they actually do know”
Gorr “The do know, and so were records kept?”
Madden “Yes. One of the problems is there is 4 things…”
Gorr “..because you had joined the board after all this happened..”
Madden “I’ve joined the board after this happened so I wanted to educate myself on it, so rather than making a knee jerk reaction like a lot of people do, I wanted to find the truth and there were four things given to the players which were all above board. But what they can’t do, and this is the governance issue which Essendon have been hit for…”
Gorr “it's the governance thing..”
Madden “…Is it do you take one two three and four, or one and one two and three, or did I take one one two four, that's where the governance fall down. But of what was given is all, as far as I can say, was above board”.

Source: https://t.co/LjU4myVvtw

Note:

Witness #1 is Jobe Watson, Former Captain of the Essendon Football Club - Signed an affidavit stating he was given Thymomodulin, the good thymosin.

Witness #2 is Dean Robinson, Essendon Football Club Fitness Coach - Discussed Thymomodulin also known as Thymosin; he stated he had never heard of Thymosin Beta 4

Witness #3 is Dr Peter Fricker OAM, a former director of the Australian Institute of Sport who at the AFL Anti Doping Tribunal on p490/491 confirm Dank was using Thymomodulin by stating "The immune one, yes, I think there may have been some mention of that" in a meeting in May 2012.

Witness #4 is David Kenley OAM chief executive of Metabolic Pharmaceuticals who met Dank in November 2012 and stated “I am absolutely sure it was Thymomodulin. That is something that stuck in my head. I had never heard of Thymosin Beta-4 until this whole thing blew up.’’

More to come.

Last edited:
Don't think that is the players though, suspect the players have got to the stage they would rather the whole thing be over and that group shut down, Bruce Francis style (who I see is starting to pop again anyway).
Yes, it's a bit of a mystery. Who now gains from this going on, stirring the pot time and agin, with the same, old material?

Certainly not the AFL.
Can't see the club wanting it to continue (greater risk that something definitive actually turns up).
Agree, would think the players themselves are doing their level best to move on, so this won't be helping them.

Disgruntled fans?

Yes, it's a bit of a mystery. Who now gains from this going on, stirring the pot time and agin, with the same, old material?

Certainly not the AFL.
Can't see the club wanting it to continue (greater risk that something definitive actually turns up).
Agree, would think the players themselves are doing their level best to move on, so this won't be helping them.

Disgruntled fans?
All these things were created after Dank realised he'd be possibly caught with an s2 drug. That happened around May 2012. That is why a spreadsheet was created 6 months after the program started. My sources indicate that Dank even went to the trouble of relabelling vials.....
Despite what has been stated, nobody had ever shown where thymomodulin was purchased with evidence. Computerised records should allow easy access to past purchases. Yet we have a big fat zero when it comes to such evidence.

Don't think that is the players though, suspect the players have got to the stage they would rather the whole thing be over and that group shut down, Bruce Francis style (who I see is starting to pop again anyway).

I was musing who it might be that the Justice for 34 were trgating as there new champion in Canberra, looks like it might be Xenophon.

Haven't yet seen any response from him as yet though - can't see it getting any traction with locals here, that he represents.

The rest is stuff from the FB page.

http://www.sportsintegrityinitiative.com/campaign-alleges-flaws-judgement-essendon-players/

"...
The Justice for 34 campaign is seeking to petition Senator for South Australia, Nick Xenophon, for a Senate Inquiry in order to investigate the situation. Any such inquiry should ‘consider all the relevant facts so they are publically available’, reads its petition. ‘To date, the evidence against the players has been based on taking “bits out that might compromise what we need”’. It follows a call by Senator John Madigan for such an inquiry, as well as the release of three documents understood to be key to the case.
..."

Despite what has been stated, nobody had ever shown where thymomodulin was purchased with evidence. Computerised records should allow easy access to past purchases. Yet we have a big fat zero when it comes to such evidence.

So much this. If they'd been buying reputable (read: allowed) substances from reputable sources, they'd have everything they needed by simply going to their suppliers and asking for a copy of their invoices. Now, since they don't, well, it's pretty obvious to anyone with half a brain that they'd been doing the dodgy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back