Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Thread XI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I though they should have gone hard for Jonathan Brown to be apart of the panel or even Lloydy. Struggled to watch this year and only thing that will keep me watching is the Stakes segement which is amazing
It's moved away from being a football show though. It's basically just light entertainment, of a kind I personally don't find particularly entertaining. That's just what you get from channel 9 these days I guess.

Fox Footy superstar month are currently showing Steve Johnson games, watching the Melbourne Geelong game where the lost by millions, it is actually a credit to the Dees to show how far they've come, Nathan Jones and Trengove are the only ones on the list still that played that game. ( I think )

It's moved away from being a football show though. It's basically just light entertainment, of a kind I personally don't find particularly entertaining. That's just what you get from channel 9 these days I guess.
It entertains very lightly indeed. Imperceptibly almost.

"Battling mental illness".

Feeling s**t because he made a series of stupid mistakes.

**** off, "mental illness". The modern man's card to play when he wants to escape consequences of his actions.

(Genuine mental illness is an obvious concern).
I don't know if that's right. Mental illness isn't every time you feel like s**t. But after what he did/what happened afterwards, I wouldn't be surprised if he was actually depressed.

"Battling mental illness".

Feeling s**t because he made a series of stupid mistakes.

**** off, "mental illness". The modern man's card to play when he wants to escape consequences of his actions.

(Genuine mental illness is an obvious concern).

Think of the damage that it does to those who are actually mentally ill. The boy who cried wolf is a very useful story.

That depends entirely on what you're talking about. The PR departments calling everything mental health is boy who cried wolf. It drives me up the wall and means many other issues such as drug addiction are swept under the carpet.

As for whether or not he has a mental illness, I don't think we're the ones to judge him for it.

Mental illnesses aren't restricted to nice people who make all the right decisions, and I think belittling someone who has made a bad choice and is suffering from it is a really bad example to the many other people who blame themselves for their own mental health problems instead of owning the situation and getting help.

Feeling like s**t is not the same thing as depression or anxiety or bipolar disorder or schizophrenia. I wouldn't wish the latter on anyone.

That depends entirely on what you're talking about. The PR departments calling everything mental health is boy who cried wolf. It drives me up the wall and means many other issues such as drug addiction are swept under the carpet.

As for whether or not he has a mental illness, I don't think we're the ones to judge him for it.

Mental illnesses aren't restricted to nice people who make all the right decisions, and I think belittling someone who has made a bad choice and is suffering from it is a really bad example to the many other people who blame themselves for their own mental health problems instead of owning the situation and getting help.

Feeling like s**t is not the same thing as depression or anxiety or bipolar disorder or schizophrenia. I wouldn't wish the latter on anyone.

It's not unreasonable for the "water-cooler" talk at work, for example, to be that Impey is full of s**t.

If someone who does have some genuine troubles hears that, I assume that it makes that person less inclined to talk or to seek help for fear that he or she will be perceived to be "full of s**t" too.

I think we're coming from the same angle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are not the people to start labelling those who may or may not have an issue.

I would hazard a guess that Players/entertainment figures/media personalities are overrepresented in mental illness statistics.

But I would also suggest Mental illness issues is the new "phrase" to stop journalists going near an issue in more detail in some cases.

There have been a fair few reports of journalists and reporters chasing a story and then the mental illness card is played and they back down.

We are not the people to start labelling those who may or may not have an issue.

I would hazard a guess that Players/entertainment figures/media personalities are overrepresented in mental illness statistics.

But I would also suggest Mental illness issues is the new "phrase" to stop journalists going near an issue in more detail in some cases.

There have been a fair few reports of journalists and reporters chasing a story and then the mental illness card is played and they back down.
There was another post before yours that I was also responding to but I think it's been deleted. :). All good

By calling everything 'mental illness' it's a get out of jail free card because as soon as you drop the MI card, nobody can ask a hard question. Most of the time you never even have to explain yourself.

The only way to solve it is for the AFL to hire a psychologist to assess every claim, but the AFLPA would never allow it.

I think it's doing an extreme disservice to those with a genuine mental illness. There will be a lot more people with mental illness issues in the AFL than just the handful who wheel it out when they've done something wrong. Eventually the phrase will be devalued which will be detrimental to many.

By calling everything 'mental illness' it's a get out of jail free card because as soon as you drop the MI card, nobody can ask a hard question. Most of the time you never even have to explain yourself.

The only way to solve it is for the AFL to hire a psychologist to assess every claim, but the AFLPA would never allow it.

I think it's doing an extreme disservice to those with a genuine mental illness. There will be a lot more people with mental illness issues in the AFL than just the handful who wheel it out when they've done something wrong. Eventually the phrase will be devalued which will be detrimental to many.
If I ever get in trouble at work and dragged into HR I would use the MI card to get off scotch free. Sad but true...

Just imagine how it would affect a club if there were a couple of people in the team suffering depression or anxiety or some other form of MI only to have some idiot in the team claim mental illness for doing something that the whole team knew very w
If I ever get in trouble at work and dragged into HR I would use the MI card to get off scotch free. Sad but true...
I know somebody who used it at Uni with a lecturer for a late assignment. He was never asked another question again about any performance assessments. This was 10 years ago now.

I wish this was true. I have legitimately suffered mental illness for many years, through secondary school up until now, and because of all the people using it as a get out of jail card, from the perspective of employers there's no validity to it anymore.

It's disgusting to see the amount of people take it that way, but the world is how the world is.

I wish this was true. I have legitimately suffered mental illness for many years, through secondary school up until now, and because of all the people using it as a get out of jail card, from the perspective of employers there's no validity to it anymore.

It's disgusting to see the amount of people take it that way, but the world is how the world is.
Unfortunately you're correct, that's the world we live in.
There is no consequences for peoples actions once they play the MI, people are too scared to dig deeper and ask the hard questions in that situation.
It's unlikely I would get dragged into HR, but it's an ace in the hole that everyone knows that if you play it you're off the hook.

The "mental health issue" (quotation marks for quotation, not skepticism) is around his dad dying, right? There wasn't any mention of anything else?
Thats all Ive read of, his dad died around his 21st which was 5 months ago..
Id hate to think anyone would ever use the MI card just to get away with something but ofcourse, people do. Normally someone who has or is suffering a mental illness will find it quite hard to speak about it with anyone let alone just throw it out in public.

I suppose it's a very fine line between still being upset about something many months later which encourages to drinking/drugs/risk taking and genuine depression, probably coming down to a psychologists' interpretation.

So everyone plays it safe. It's really the only way to go, though. The latest episodes have been Lyon, Yarran and Impey. Lyon and Impey played the card after being busted for something stupid, Yarran's is a bit more legit, but who really knows. I imagine it's not hard for somebody with plenty of money to find a Dr who will say you're mentally ill.

So he gets sloshed, puts innocent lives at risk by driving over the limit, is involved in two seperate accidents damaging 4 cars, then flees the scene like an absolute coward... then plays the depression card; one week suspension and $5000 fine. No doubt the punishment from the magistrate will be just as limp wristed.

The club is just as pathetic as they 'gave legal advice' before he turned himself in 16 hours later, giving him ample time to clear his system and sober up.

So he gets sloshed, puts innocent lives at risk by driving over the limit, is involved in two seperate accidents damaging 4 cars, then flees the scene like an absolute coward... then plays the depression card; one week suspension and $5000 fine. No doubt the punishment from the magistrate will be just as limp wristed.

The club is just as pathetic as they 'gave legal advice' before he turned himself in 16 hours later, giving him ample time to clear his system and sober up.

There is something that is so counter-intuitive about the way mental illness is used as a defence for bad behaviour. In some respects I doubt that anyone who is genuinely suffering would ever use it to explain something away simply because if I can make the generalization based on anecdotal evidence it would seem that these people are generally too ashamed or lack the ability to articulate what they are going through.

To what extent does the use of mental illness as en excuse or defence by people in the public eye create a justifiable stigma? I mean why shouldn't we look at these people with some skepticism because they are depressed and therefore they will commit crimes, cheat on their wives with friends' wives or former wives and undertake all sorts of anti-social, disgraceful behaviour?

The sad thing is, it's not the dickhole acting out that we need to be worried about (to some extent * him or her because he or she is already getting too much attention as it is). It's the individual that can't get out of bed or who struggles to function as a result of being overcome with certain emotions which are sufferd in silence that we need to be concerned about and who is not helped by this bullshit. It's this individual that Beyond Blue is warning us about.

If I think about certain people in my life and the views of experts qualified to comment on this issue, Theordore Dalrymple has a lot of interesting views, I am quite comfortable saying that we're not helping if we are not prepared to draw objective conclusions about certain behaviour which are essentially divorced from mental illness in this context. I'm obviously not going to try to say this would apply to a condition like schizophrenia but for all of the concern about mental illness we need to be just as concerned about medical professionals who as a result of unethical practices nd/or incompetence are creating "mentally ill" customers who they can then get paid to service.

Gary Lyon, for example, is a dirt bag, he always has been. There is no point at which his suffering from any form of diagnosable condition is an explanation for the way he behaved. He was capable of holding high profile media jobs and there is nothing to suggest that he was impaired to the extent that he could not make a moral judgment between right and wrong (unless that was otherwise compromised by his lack of morality). He thought that he was bulletproof and acted accordingly. I have little doubt that as a result of blowing his life up that he now has some mental illness, based primarily on reflection of what has occurred, but I have no sympathy and see no value in him becoming a poster-boy for people suffering from mental illness (if that is what is to happen when he returns to the public eye).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back