Past Kurt Tippett - retired 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

TBH, he should've stayed out for the remainder of the year due to to his hammy. I said it then but it's all hindsight now.

Should not have played after the first final he played against Geelong with a broken jaw pretty crazy considering he puts himself in position to recieve a lot of hits to the head.

Tippett will finish his career at the Swans and will go down as a successful recruit.
Successful not imo ATM

Far to much cap wasted on this bloke from the time he rolled in

Successful not imo ATM

Far to much cap wasted on this bloke from the time he rolled in

Is there a better Ruck/ff in the comp? sure he is on big dollars but thats what you gotta pay to lure them over could be worse like Carlton offering 700k for Daisy Thomas.

Look he could of had a AA season and half of these comments wouldn't exist, but i agree with what Mick said above dont play Tippett if he is coming off a long injury or is under a cloud.

Not true. Both his 2015 finals were huge, kicked 4 in the 2014 PF to go with 9 marks and 12 HO.

Fair point, I think he has been a good recruit

But twice now he has not done the job on the day that counts

Tippett unfortunately has my confidence to play excellently but also doesn't have my confidence to stay on the field. I think he's shown as a Swan when he's fully fit, he's a tremendous player. As a forward or a ruckman. He's a real weapon for us. But he just can't seem to play out a full year with health which is really frustrating.

As such I expect him to have a really good pre-season and start the year really well again but probably end up injured again soon thereafter.

I at least hope that with Naismith as our number one guy now Tippett has a full pre-season training as a FF and drops some of the weight he put on having done a lot of training to take on the number one ruck mantle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've already written this but he was in brilliant form before injury and he's probably one of the reasons we had such an unexpectedly good season! Judging him on his return form and not his overall contribution is just ridiculous. He's been worth every god damn cent!

I think judging pur big contracts on the flags we get from them is a good measure

Just my view

I think judging pur big contracts on the flags we get from them is a good measure

Just my view

There's got to be a few things thrown in to judge it imo. I mean Franklin's deal for example is a bit of an outlier but even if he never wins a flag in Sydney, his signing has gone a huge way to securing our financial strength in the medium and possibly long term. Our membership count is through the roof as are corporate monies and merch. That's obviously not a purely on field thing which we as fans are primarily concerned with, but it has to count for something.

Availability and injuries, pure individual performance, performance and role played for the team and how the team goes leads me to say Tippett hasn't been worth the money we've given him. If we could manage to somehow, someway get him on the field for an entire season completely healthy that could lead to a flag next year, I really believe that, but I do find it hard to see that happening given his history and as such to me I can't claim that his signing has been a net positive.

I still wonder what might have been if Longmire had have had the daring to stick with Nankervis over Tippett through the finals.

Ive been critical of both tippet and macca for their gf performances. But being realistic, our sides chances of winning a gf with either one or both out is probably doubtful. In saying that, nankers probably would have been able to have an impact on the game. But then again, Tippett had a couple of important touches / marks that unfortunately didn't really lead to much, but he still had some sort of an impact. For all we know nankers could have been a complete no show.

Either way, I think both Tippett and the club thought it was in our best interests to have him play on the day (same probably goes for macca). With the amount of youth we had out there on the day, I think we went with as much experience as we could. History shows that neither played with the spirit to swing the balance in our favour. But hanging too much of the blame on Tippett is a little harsh. He failed to put in a heroic effort required when playing under duress and came up short, as the rest of our team did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back