precieved favouritism of umpiring Bulldogs games

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not up to me to explain why the Bulldogs were favoured by the umipires to the extent they were, you'd have to ask the AFL or the umpires why that happened. I just observed that they were favoured by the umpires more than any other team this year and the stats back that up.

You're the one trying to muddy the waters with all this conspiracy theory stuff because you can't defend the indefensible, it's quite laughable.
The only thing laughable is that it's December and you're still going on about the umpiring. Doing everything you can to try and convince yourself, and anyone who will listen that our premiership is tarnished.

It speaks volumes that you've pretty much been laughed off from the bay and the main board from discussing this issue that you're now here doing it on the MRP board. How long will it be until you're laughed at on this one and are forced to leave with your tail between your legs again, and have Mofra to take you back to the bay?

Bulldogs supporters reasons for justifying winning the majority of their free kick counts is the usual nonsense like being more disciplined and playing to the rules and interpretations better than everyone else when Blind Freddy can see that the real reason is the amount of soft free kicks or wrong free kicks that went in their favour.

The same thing has happened with Hawthorn in recent years hence why #freekickhawthorn and #freekickbulldogs started trending, that didn't happen because of jealousy it happened because opposition supporters got fed up with seeing the umpires constantly favour them with rubbish soft free kicks.

The only thing laughable is that it's December and you're still going on about the umpiring. Doing everything you can to try and convince yourself, and anyone who will listen that our premiership is tarnished.

It speaks volumes that you've pretty much been laughed off from the bay and the main board from discussing this issue that you're now here doing it on the MRP board. How long will it be until you're laughed at on this one and are forced to leave with your tail between your legs again, and have Mofra to take you back to the bay?

You mean laughed at by precious melty Bulldogs supporters who can't handle the truth that they got a massive advantage from the umpiring this year?

A lot of other opposition supporters actually agree with me.

Surely anyone with a modicum of common sense would think that consistent wins in the free kick count isn't some sort of conspiracy but a consistent style of play that just so happens to win free kicks.

Is the Houston Rockets on the back of some sort of conspiracy because James Harden gets a lot of free throws, or is the more likely answer that he and his team plays in such a way that garners a lot of free kicks?

May as well have a proper look at the 2016 season comparison for the Grand Finalists.

Free Kicks Season 2016

Rnd.........West Bulldogs
................Sydney

Rnd 1....Won 19-14 (v Frem)......Lost 18-23( v Coll)
Rnd 2....Won 18-14 ( v StK)........Even 23-23(v Carl)
Rnd 3....Won 25-21 (v Haw)........Won 30-19(v GWS)
Rnd 4....Won 30-13 (v Carl)........Lost 21-23 (v Adel)
Rnd 5....Won 24-12 (v Bris)........Even 19-19 (v WCE)
Rnd 6....Won 23-14 (v Nth).........Lost 19-23 (v Bris)
Rnd 7....Won 28-12 (v Adel)........Won 21-18 (v Ess)
Rnd 8....Won 16-12 (v Melb)........Lost 26-28 (v Rich)
Rnd 9....Won 21-14 (v GWS)........Lost 12-15 (v Haw)
Rnd 10...Won 17-15 (v Coll).........Even 20-20 (v Nh)
Rnd 11...Even 17-17 (v WCE).......Won 19-14 (v GC)
Rnd 12...Lost 23-10 (v Port)........Lost 15-22 (v GWS)
Rnd 13...Won 21-20 (v Geel)........Lost 21-22 (v Melb)
Rnd 14...Bye
Rnd 15...Won 17-16 (v Syd).........Lost 16-17 (v WB)
Rnd 16...Won 23-15 (v Rich)........Lost 23-24 (v Geel)
Rnd 17...Won 23-15 (v GC)..........Lost 9-15 (v Haw)
Rnd 18...Won 25-24 (v StK).........Lost 16-21 (v Carl)
Rnd 19...Even 22-22 (v Geel)........Lost 13-18 (v Freo)
Rnd 20...Lost 18-19 (v Nth).........Won 23-13 (v Port)
Rnd 21...Lost 17-21 (v Coll).........Lost 17-19 (v StK)
Rnd 22...Won 19-15 (v Ess).........Lost 9-21 (v Nth)
Rnd 23...Lost 18-22 (v Freo)........Lost 18-20 (v Rich)

Finals

Week 1...Won 17-13 (v WCE).......Lost 17-19 (v GWS)
Week 2...Won 19-14 (v Haw).......Lost 12-19 (v Adel)
Week 3...Won 23-13 (v GWS).......Lost 22-24 (v Geel)
Wk4 GF...Won 20-8 (v Syd)..........Lost 8-20 (v WB)

Free Kick Win/Loss Season 2016
WB.... Played 26...
Won 20 Lost 4 Drawn 2
Syd....Played 26...
Won 4 Lost 19 Drawn 3

I hate to be critical of my own mob, but i need to be.

Blind Freddy's Obvious Conclusions:

1. Nothing to see here in terms of the Doggies.
2. Just an aberration that obviously evened itself out over the course of a full season.
3. Sydney was usually second to the ball, fumbled or threw everything they touched, and likely used politically incorrect sledging.
4. Sydney do not know how to dive properly nor effectively.
5. Sydney do not time their attack on the ball to coincide with the umpires full attention.
6. Sydney was a team of clumsy low skilled accident prone oafs who somehow stumbled their way into finals.
7. Sydney won games by playing their best footy against umpires, rather than against other footballers.
8. Sydney prefer to gift the opposition an advantage from the start, so that all wins are sweeter.
9. When turning up for the game, Sydney players should not park in spots marked "Umpires".
10. Sydney need to put all the umps onto this years Xmas Card List to have any hope in 2017.

The data obviously does not support any conclusions about the Doggies relationship with the umpiring fraternity.
One can only marvel at their amazing discipline, adherance to the rulebook, and the incredible football they produced against all the odds.

Great post had not seen until today

Never have the umps gifted a team as much as the dogs

Afl got its fairytale, saints fans must wonder where they were in 2009 and 2010 and why they werent ridden to victory by the officials

Bulldogs supporters reasons for justifying winning the majority of their free kick counts is the usual nonsense like being more disciplined and playing to the rules and interpretations better than everyone else when Blind Freddy can see that the real reason is the amount of soft free kicks or wrong free kicks that went in their favour.

The same thing has happened with Hawthorn in recent years hence why #freekickhawthorn and #freekickbulldogs started trending, that didn't happen because of jealousy it happened because opposition supporters got fed up with seeing the umpires constantly favour them with rubbish soft free kicks.

You mean laughed at by precious melty Bulldogs supporters who can't handle the truth that they got a massive advantage from the umpiring this year?

Bulldogs fans being here is basically proof of the guilt they feel. They know it is true

Bulldogs fans being here is basically proof of the guilt they feel. They know it is true
Makes it all the more better actually. Bit like how the Swans broke there flag drought through iffy umpiring in 05. Ya know Kennellay ripping Sampi's jumper off when Leo took that mark.

Enjoying the bitter tears from the Swans.

Makes it all the more better actually. Bit like how the Swans broke there flag drought through iffy umpiring in 05. Ya know Kennellay ripping Sampi's jumper off when Leo took that mark.

Also, how did BBB get off after belting that bloke (not sure who) in the PF?

Anyone else would've got 2 weeks! Absolute travesty, that one. Cost WCE the flag.

AFL's pets, the Swans. Gifted the 72 year drought breaking premiership that year.

Also, how did BBB get off after belting that bloke (not sure who) in the PF?

Anyone else would've got 2 weeks! Absolute travesty, that one. Cost WCE the flag.

AFL's pets, the Swans. Gifted the 72 year drought breaking premiership that year.
Matty Maguire. Ruled to be "in play" with the ball something like 100m away o_O

Not only

I dont know how St.Kilda supporters can complain. The 1966 GF was a game where umpiring definately influenced the result. Several shocking decisions favouring St.Kilda, even the Barry Breen point looked very close to out of bounds. In better news, a better version of the 66 G.F. is coming out. It is in HD black and white, with an extra camera being included for better viewing. Also includes Grand Final Parade with St.kilda players travelling down Bourke St in their horses and carts. The crowd of around 50 people looked very excited. DVD is available at ABC for $1.99.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont know how St.Kilda supporters can complain. The 1966 GF was a game where umpiring definately influenced the result. Several shocking decisions favouring St.Kilda, even the Barry Breen point looked very close to out of bounds. In better news, a better version of the 66 G.F. is coming out. It is in HD black and white, with an extra camera being included for better viewing. Also includes Grand Final Parade with St.kilda players travelling down Bourke St in their horses and carts. The crowd of around 50 people looked very excited. DVD is available at ABC for $1.99.

Yeah I'm sure you've watched the whole 1966 GF to properly assess the umpiring, even though the rules back then were different and the tv coverage back then consisted of grainy black and white footage with no close ups or replays.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm sure you've watched the whole 1966 GF to properly assess the umpiring, even though the rules back then were different and the tv coverage back then consisted of grainy black and white footage with no close ups or replays.
But there was a huge differential in the free kicks. That can't happen. To be fair there should be 50/50 free kicks in every gam because that is what the public demands.

But there was a huge differential in the free kicks. That can't happen. To be fair there should be 50/50 free kicks in every gam because that is what the public demands.

Also we should let players be punched in the face in front of umpires and nothing should be done. I mean, that was clearly the rule in the preliminary where one side got away with everything.

I'm sorry that has been your only premiership experience. I remember when I had to relate to that.

Looks like Bulldogs supporters have given up defending the biased umpiring in the 2016 GF and are just deflecting now with umpiring from previous years.
HWAaCUi.jpg

Matty Maguire. Ruled to be "in play" with the ball something like 100m away o_O

It was in play according to the AFL's own rules DVD from that season. Hall was on a lead at the time.
He was actually found guilty, but the grading of the offence meant he was given a reprimand only.
He was very lucky that he got to play.

Looks like Bulldogs supporters have given up defending the biased umpiring in the 2016 GF and are just deflecting now with umpiring from previous years.

"The game went for 3 quarters and 20 minutes, and one team laid down. And it wasn't the Western Bulldogs"

- TGO

The umpires put the whistle away for both teams in 2005, the frees actually finished up 13-12 West Coast's way, so at least the umpiring was consistent for both teams. Having said that you don't win a grand final by less than a kick without some luck. This year the luck went the Bulldogs' way, and when I say that I am not taking away anything from their performance at all. It was more a few bad calls that cost us. After the Clay Smith free the umpire was clearly heard to say "I think he got him high on the way down". I know I would prefer it if the umpires didn't make calls in big games based on guesswork, wouldn't you?

It was in play according to the AFL's own rules DVD from that season. Hall was on a lead at the time.

How cute. Im pretty sure he was stationary when he punched the crap outta someone. Except maybe his swinging arm.

But anyway, Im loving the thread. Serves everyone right for all their bitching about Hawthorn and the umpires. Let the Dogs sneak through.

Well played !

He was actually found guilty, but the discount meant he was given a reprimand only.
Don't get me wrong, glad Hall got off and stoked that Sydney beat West Coast, but it seemed very lucky!

After the Clay Smith free the umpire was clearly heard to say "I think he got him high on the way down". I know I would prefer it if the umpires didn't make calls in big games based on guesswork, wouldn't you?
Agreed. That free was technically there, but there'd be 100+ frees per game if everything was paid :eek:

Surely anyone with a modicum of common sense would think that consistent wins in the free kick count isn't some sort of conspiracy but a consistent style of play that just so happens to win free kicks.

Is the Houston Rockets on the back of some sort of conspiracy because James Harden gets a lot of free throws, or is the more likely answer that he and his team plays in such a way that garners a lot of free kicks?

considering you're talking about NBA sports entertainment i'd say this James Harden fellow is probably a big protected brand

Remove this Banner Ad

Back