Admin, Finance, Members, Ratings, Crowds, Policies - its the 2016 AFL v NRL v ARU v FFA v BBL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thats ok for a Tuesday night I would think.
Was 22k in Sydney on sunday I think. Will be interesting in Melbourne Friday night.
T20 crowds will be very interesting. I wonder if they'll play one in ACT soon?

They've played T20 in Canberra before most famously the big bash final last year I think. Only got a PM's XI T20 coming up in Feb which I doubt will sell out

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back to junior playing numbers.
The only fair and accurate way imo to count juniors in any sport is if they are with a club and play for that club, or play for the school.
I can't see how you can count as a junior someone who has 2 or 3 lessons a week in AF, RL, RU Soccer as a junior.

The ASC released its participation figures today.
http://www.ausport.gov.au/news/asc_...lay_shows_the_sporting_behaviours_of_a_nation

report is here: http://static.ausport.gov.au/ausplay/?page=1

ausplay+asc2016.png

ausplay_asctop20adult.png

ausplay_asctop20kids.png

Last edited:

Wow, the Australian Sports Commission formally uses "football" without qualification for soccer now?

What a cultural cringers paradise we live in! Do they "qualify" it when surveying I wonder?

Pretty good numbers for (Australian) football I would have thought. Girls numbers in the top 10. That is sure to head in one direction

Wow, the Australian Sports Commission formally uses "football" without qualification for soccer now?

What a cultural cringers paradise we live in! Do they "qualify" it when surveying I wonder?

Pretty good numbers for (Australian) football I would have thought. Girls numbers in the top 10. That is sure to head in one direction

That is a fair question to ask !!

That is a fair question to ask !!

upload_2016-12-8_16-56-16.png

...chances are they did clarify in the interviews (i.e "football as in soccer" or "soccer football")

It was Soccer Australia's prerogative, after it's identity crises in the early 2000's to change its name..(like somehow the name was holding it back)....but it's ridiculous that the ASC is now referring to soccer as "football" without qualification.

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-8_16-57-30.png
    upload_2016-12-8_16-57-30.png
    8 KB · Views: 3
Man I've got nothing against soccer at all apart from the fact it's called football... call it soccer football if you have too. On SEN radio a while back they said "next up we're talking Australian football" referring to a-league and the sooceroos... I couldn't believe it. Having said that I haven't heard them refer to it like that again since.

Personally I think they should have brackets next to football with soccer written inside it it.

Noobpie is right, it is a cultural cringe, the other thing I would ask is how the ABS compile those stats? ?, do they just ask the relevant bodies for numbers and if they don't how do they work them out ?

Personally I think they should have brackets next to football with soccer written inside it it.

Noobpie is right, it is a cultural cringe, the other thing I would ask is how the ABS compile those stats? ?, do they just ask the relevant bodies for numbers and if they don't how do they work them out ?

Its not the ABS, its the ASC - essentially this is an updated version of the old ERASS reports - whereas ERASS was 15 and over only, this combines adults and kids.

erassbox4.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks GM, the stats are derived by telephone and mobile survey. Your question raises an interesting consideration. Given that club registration data is so well captured nowadays you do wonder why you wouldn't use that information.... Particularly if this is used for grants funding purposes

I looked in to this a few years ago and concluded that the asc is captured by the jingoistic, cultural cringing bias towards "international" sports over, say, ones that developed and blossomed in this country. Only in Australia.

There is only ONE Australian Football in it aint the imported pommie soccer variety!
Yep I see they are back to an ave of only 10,000 a game again even with the hype around Cahill the MCFC can still only pull 8000 to their last home game.
Their suppossed high rates of junior participation dont translate to bigger crowds and TV ratings thaht are really quite pathetic when compared to the AFL and NRL
A long way from being the # 1 football code as sprukied by the gormless Gallop and poor little rich boy Lowy

There is Australian football and Australian Football. In the end it doesnt really matter who calls the game what.

I genuinely don't know which ones which from that! Why would either "f" be a capital? Seriously? You've merely demonstrated the ridiculousness of the situation

Australian soccer can call itself what it wants but government bodies shouldn't facilitate the insidious name appropriation of one of this country's oldest and deepest cultural institutions. I seriously don't think it would happen anywhere else in the world.

Thanks GM, the stats are derived by telephone and mobile survey. Your question raises an interesting consideration. Given that club registration data is so well captured nowadays you do wonder why you wouldn't use that information.... Particularly if this is used for grants funding purposes

I looked in to this a few years ago and concluded that the asc is captured by the jingoistic, cultural cringing bias towards "international" sports over, say, ones that developed and blossomed in this country. Only in Australia.

I guess we need to find out how many bushwalkers there are, but for actual sporting codes, the stats would be compiled by the respective bodies, if they don't match up then who is wrong ?.

So disregard the actual stats from the sporting bodies themselves and insert a number after some telephone conversations.

I genuinely don't know which ones which from that! Why would either "f" be a capital? Seriously? You've merely demonstrated the ridiculousness of the situation

Ah but these are the nuances which make the difference here. There are several types of football - Rugby Union, Rugby League, Soccer (association), American (Grid Iron), Canadian and Australian. Most of these are played in Australia with different people calling their own version football - as is their right.

Australian soccer can call itself what it wants but government bodies shouldn't facilitate the insidious name appropriation of one of this country's oldest and deepest cultural institutions. I seriously don't think it would happen anywhere else in the world.

And we shouldnt be so petty as to be threatened by something which they are perfectly entitled to do. Our game doesnt live or die on its name.

There is only ONE Australian Football in it aint the imported pommie soccer variety!
Yep I see they are back to an ave of only 10,000 a game again even with the hype around Cahill the MCFC can still only pull 8000 to their last home game.
Their suppossed high rates of junior participation dont translate to bigger crowds and TV ratings thaht are really quite pathetic when compared to the AFL and NRL
A long way from being the # 1 football code as sprukied by the gormless Gallop and poor little rich boy Lowy

Got that right: high rates of junior participation dont translate to bigger crowds and TV ratings

There are many soccer fans who don't follow that game at A-League level, preferring to watch the game at its highest level, just as most AFL fans follow the AFL comp not the second tier. That's the big challenge for Aus soccer.

Ah but these are the nuances which make the difference here.

Nuance? Here I was thinking it was a simple case of sports not being proper nouns. But anyway, I suspect the next sentence the Wookie will explain this nuance...

There are several types of football - Rugby Union, Rugby League, Soccer (association), American (Grid Iron), Canadian and Australian. Most of these are played in Australia with different people calling their own version football - as is their right.

...and it's a complete not sequitur. There are several games that are played in Australia that are football codes and are (to varying the degrees) called football by their adherents. This is completely irrelevant to why you would capitalise the "F" to distinguish soccer in Australia from the actual name of Australia's indigenous and most popular football code (and I am still not certain which one you are capitalising the "F", for.)

It is somewhat relevant to why one code can be formally recognised as "football" without qualification in an environment where it is the third biggest football code at best

And we shouldnt be so petty as to be threatened by something which they are perfectly entitled to do. Our game doesnt live or die on its name.

Which is fascinating response to this....

I said soccer can call itself what it wants but government bodies shouldn't facilitate what is blatant name appropriation. You are correct that the game doesn't live or die by it's name which is why it's got nothing to do with being threatened. Call it petty but I don't think the cultural cringers are completely harmless either. They certainly give me the shyts

Last edited:
ASC Funding last year
asc2016_funding.png

And this is a key consequence of the cringe. Two of the worlds richest sports get $10 million between them. The three most popular and traditional men's sports get about a third of that. Basketball gets twice as much as netball. Waterpolo, shooting, volleyball...EQUESTRIAN!

* off ASC

Man I've got nothing against soccer at all apart from the fact it's called football... call it soccer football if you have too. On SEN radio a while back they said "next up we're talking Australian football" referring to a-league and the sooceroos... I couldn't believe it. Having said that I haven't heard them refer to it like that again since.

That was probably Francis Leach, these days, he's unabashedly a soccer man first and foremost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back