Covers that are better than the original ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Mention of the Spys in another thread gots me to thinking about this pretty credible cover of The Byrds' classic. Fairly faithful rendition but I dig how they retain the gorgeous guitar jangle of the original, while adding a little of the trademark Spy Vs Spy rhythmic choppiness. Not a bad effort.

The brilliant Darren Hanlon's cover of "Perfect Day" by Fischer-Z (unsure who the girl is, might actually be Jenny Cruse from F-Z):

Wouldn't necessarily call it better as the original is also fantastic, but I love how the song can be done in two completely different styles and sound like it was always meant to be either way.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but I reckon Brian Williams version of "The Minstrel Boy" in Black Hawk Down is better than Tommy Moore's version back in around 1798.

Put on the Williams version before a game of footy and even at my advanced age and lack of ability, I would be BOG (for at least the first 30 seconds of the game.)

Wouldn't necessarily call it better as the original is also fantastic, but I love how the song can be done in two completely different styles and sound like it was always meant to be either way.

Its always a sign of brilliant musicians when that happens. That was an awesome cover btw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The brilliant Darren Hanlon's cover of "Perfect Day" by Fischer-Z (unsure who the girl is, might actually be Jenny Cruse from F-Z):

Yeah, that is indeed who it is.

Recall reading a story a while back about him bumping into her (in England?) which led to doing the cover.

Big fan of that album.

Neatly completing the Dags/Bragg circle....

Dags' sweet acoustic take on one of my all-time fave BB tunes.

(So many great lines in this song.)

Taking a slight lead from the above....

Been listening to a very cool EP over the last few days by a couple of ridiculously young sisters (12 and 14!!) that go by the name Charm Of Finches. Extremely talented for their age, penning gorgeous spare folk tunes, adorned with beautiful vocals that really take off when harmonising together.

Never been much of a Smashing Pumpkins fan. Thought Gish was okay, and rate Siamese Dream as a bonafide masterpiece, but reckon everything that has come after that has been patchy at best. But Siamese Dream rocks. Ironically, I reckon possibly the only weak link on the album is "Disarm". Don't mind the tune, but on an album that trades in no-bullshit guitar power, thought it was a little too cheesy. An exercise in contrived, overblown melodrama with the leading strings and timpanis and bells and what not.

So, personally, I prefer this far more understated version.

Do you know where that video was shot TOD? Reminds me of the Organ Pipes National Park opposite Calder Raceway.

As a matter of fact I do. It was shot at (the not-entirely-specific) "Darebin Parklands".

Great moment at the end of the clip when the two big dogs run into the camera shot.

On with the covers....

Slowcore greats, Red House Painters, excellent shoegaze-y take on Kiss' "Shock Me".

A surprise hit with the super-grating, Supergrass-aping "Flagpole Sitta" saw this Seattle noise-pop band wrongly pegged as some kind of novelty one-hit wonders. Not the case at all - they were much better than that.

Anyhoo, here's them doing a fine version of The (English) Beat's sublime "Save It For Later".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back