BDAFL 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Another successful year for the league. Comps are looking good particularly the top division where both the Bays are throwing out decent results. City and Terrigal still raging odds on to meet again in the decider but from 2nd spot down it's all up in the air.

Disappointed to see Lake Macquarie still languishing even with only 1 side. That club has done so well to keep afloat over countless years of bugger all wins. Sounds like they have a good junior base so hope for their sake they keep them and build up for some deserved success on the senior front.

Singleton have turned their fortunes around. Andrew Scott is a great get. They've got some luck this year and look good to be there for an opportunity at another div2 premiership.

Hard to pick what will happen during the last few weeks in third grade. City could come back strong and challenge, same goes for Terrigal but there wouldn't be many that would hate to see the Cats or TEBB claim their maiden premiership.

Girls comp still building nicely. Good to see. No doubt clubs are happy to have the girls aboard to add some team spirit....not to mention some drunken shenangians on preso night.

Excellent work on the website BDAFL! Great player write ups, good reading.

Keep doing what your doing BDAFL. It's working and making this region a strong aussie rules area.
BDAFL has been extremely successful in building its senior women's comp -considering RL & soccer very strong there, AF a minor sport.

How has it been able to build the women's comp. so well & so quickly in the last few years? What sports have these women come from?
Do AF clubs there also have affiliated netball clubs, which is very common in sthn states country areas?

What hopes are there for a junior female (10-18 yo) comp. with similar growth?

The AFLW, and female AF generally, are receiving significant publicity in the mainstream media in recent months in the AF states ( the FTA Ch.7 telecast 3.9.2016, Footscray v Melb. game rated a national peak of 1,050,000 -the years highest rating pre finals). Is mainstream media, in Newcastle/ Hunter areas, giving much coverage to the female AF boom?

Do you think in next 5 years full contact (not touch) female RL, or RU (or 7's) will attract many female players (senior and/or junior)?
The NRL is canvassing possibilty of a female NRL comp. in 2022.

womens comps in general are building nicely. In my view AFL has pulled the trigger too soon on providing a professional comp. Obviously though it's more about growing the grass roots and it appears to be very successful.

Rugby League lives up to the stereotypes of lower class blue collar with unsavoury crowd behaviour at matches. It's a sport more suited to the thugs these days and even in the national comp the tactics being allowed in tackles are just wrong.So aussie rules for women is a great alternative to soccer, netball, hockey etc. AFL can provide a relatively safe and inviting environment for the girls and with a real prospect of making it to the professional ranks.

If the 2022 idea is true, they have lost significant years to AFL and given the very nature of aussie rules once players get a few years on the body heading over to RL wouldn't be that appealing.

I'd say junior and youth girls comps will be springing to life soon. So with that happening there is a real prospect of an entire family being actively involved with the game

womens comps in general are building nicely. In my view AFL has pulled the trigger too soon on providing a professional comp. Obviously though it's more about growing the grass roots and it appears to be very successful.

Rugby League lives up to the stereotypes of lower class blue collar with unsavoury crowd behaviour at matches. It's a sport more suited to the thugs these days and even in the national comp the tactics being allowed in tackles are just wrong.So aussie rules for women is a great alternative to soccer, netball, hockey etc. AFL can provide a relatively safe and inviting environment for the girls and with a real prospect of making it to the professional ranks.

If the 2022 idea is true, they have lost significant years to AFL and given the very nature of aussie rules once players get a few years on the body heading over to RL wouldn't be that appealing.

I'd say junior and youth girls comps will be springing to life soon. So with that happening there is a real prospect of an entire family being actively involved with the game
Are the BDAFL clubs, both jnr & snr, promoting female U10 -18 football in 2017? Non-contact, or partial/full contact? How are they promoting it?

Is this concept to ONLY have an in-house game at each club ;or an actual comp., where girls will play H & A?

On the Gold Coast /SE Qld, female football regd. numbers are phenomenal (rivalling Victoria!).
Has the BDAFL examined closely the Qld. model (also in a RL state) for ideas?

Early days here, how are clubs seeming to be going to far? Considering there wont be any news out of city and terrigal for player movement where are they off to? Have noticed cardiff have picked up a few so far, would it be enough though for them to realistically push for the top two spots?

BDAFL has been extremely successful in building its senior women's comp -considering RL & soccer very strong there, AF a minor sport.

How has it been able to build the women's comp. so well & so quickly in the last few years? What sports have these women come from?
Do AF clubs there also have affiliated netball clubs, which is very common in sthn states country areas?

What hopes are there for a junior female (10-18 yo) comp. with similar growth?

The AFLW, and female AF generally, are receiving significant publicity in the mainstream media in recent months in the AF states ( the FTA Ch.7 telecast 3.9.2016, Footscray v Melb. game rated a national peak of 1,050,000 -the years highest rating pre finals). Is mainstream media, in Newcastle/ Hunter areas, giving much coverage to the female AF boom?

Do you think in next 5 years full contact (not touch) female RL, or RU (or 7's) will attract many female players (senior and/or junior)?
The NRL is canvassing possibilty of a female NRL comp. in 2022.

The bdafl womens comp has expanded,and achieved great growth to the point where most clubs involved with the league have at least looked into adding a womens side.The clubs that have got on board have realised what an asset on and off the field the ladies can be!

In saying this the juniors are another story (Newcastle juniors have slowly grown,but the central coast hasn't grown at all).With new people comes new energy and now esp with a senior pathway and people (myself included pushing hard) the juniors should increase as well!!

As for players some of the more successful have come from netball/soccer,but the first batch of long term juniors are starting to come through now,a handful of senior players play league-tag so it will be interesting if they have to choose(and what they choose) now that league is offering full contact 9's I believe this year!!

Early days here, how are clubs seeming to be going to far? Considering there wont be any news out of city and terrigal for player movement where are they off to? Have noticed cardiff have picked up a few so far, would it be enough though for them to realistically push for the top two spots?

Don't think too many are leaving City/Terrigal,a couple of retirements and also some looking for other challenges (on the whole though they both still have 3 mens teams this year) and would'nt think they would want to drop down the ladder,just replacing older blokes with up and comers. Cardiff have picked up a couple but also lost b&f so I think still a gap till they consistently challenge (would of though Nelsons would be most likely if they can add to their quality youth).

In any case I cant wait till the other clubs step up so the Cup clubs don't have to play the same 5 clubs 3-4 times!! lol

Some things I think would help to grow the game in the area/ add prestige to the league.

1. Team of the Year Awards for All Grades

2. Mark and Goal of the Year Awards for All Grades

3. Team of the Week for All Grades

4. Point system put on players in Black Diamond Cup (if 2017 transfer restrictions is unsuccessful)

5. A major sponsor to provide caps to the Grand Final winners (much like they do in TAC Cup/ Riverina and Ovens and Murray League)

6. Clubs should push for all players to come to training in club training uniform.

7. Player of the week and short story profile about them.

8. Player statistics written in the Football Record (Height, Weight, Past Team, Number of Goals, Position etc.)

9. Pre Season Competition for each grade 13 a side 10 min halves every team plays each other for trophy/ prize money.

10. Money/ Voucher given out each game for Best On Ground

On a last note I urge the BDAFL to keep 2nd Division/2017 Reserve Grade so that older players 35 + can still play the game or younger players who aren't up to the standard of the higher grades.

Some things I think would help to grow the game in the area/ add prestige to the league.

1. Team of the Year Awards for All Grades

2. Mark and Goal of the Year Awards for All Grades

3. Team of the Week for All Grades

4. Point system put on players in Black Diamond Cup (if 2017 transfer restrictions is unsuccessful)

5. A major sponsor to provide caps to the Grand Final winners (much like they do in TAC Cup/ Riverina and Ovens and Murray League)

6. Clubs should push for all players to come to training in club training uniform.

7. Player of the week and short story profile about them.

8. Player statistics written in the Football Record (Height, Weight, Past Team, Number of Goals, Position etc.)

9. Pre Season Competition for each grade 13 a side 10 min halves every team plays each other for trophy/ prize money.

10. Money/ Voucher given out each game for Best On Ground

On a last note I urge the BDAFL to keep 2nd Division/2017 Reserve Grade so that older players 35 + can still play the game or younger players who aren't up to the standard of the higher grades.
Great first post!
Not sure about point 3. though. Might be hard to organise -and probably same names appear most weeks.
For point 10, would want to widen criteria beyond BOG -perhaps also most courageous, best 2nd effort, best mark etc. Spread the glory?

Incidentally, in Newcastle/Hunter are girls and/or women's netball clubs often affiliated with male sports; if so, which sports?
(In sthn. states, net ball clubs are often affiliated with male AF clubs. This has often made it easier to form female AF teams).

What % approx. of Newc./Hunter female touch/tag RL/RU females would like to also play FULL contact RL/RU/7's etc?

Great first post!
Not sure about point 3. though. Might be hard to organise -and probably same names appear most weeks.
For point 10, would want to widen criteria beyond BOG -perhaps also most courageous, best 2nd effort, best mark etc. Spread the glory?

Incidentally, in Newcastle/Hunter are girls and/or women's netball clubs often affiliated with male sports; if so, which sports?
(In sthn. states, net ball clubs are often affiliated with male AF clubs. This has often made it easier to form female AF teams).

What % approx. of Newc./Hunter female touch/tag RL/RU females would like to also play FULL contact RL/RU/7's etc?

One way to get around the same names popping up every week could be to have a team of the week picked from all grades including womens e.g. a back pocket could be from 2nd div and fullback from womens and rover from prems. This would make spots more competitive, a real feat to be picked almost over 600 players to choose from down to 18 or 22. I think it is a great idea for point 10 although I only said BOG because I think the amount of money given out should be raised considerably so if numerous awards were given out the amount would be fairly small I imagine.

Final point - IF ANYONE COULD SEND/SHOW OR LET ME KNOW HOW TO GET THESE IDEAS ACROSS TO THE BDAFL !! It would be deeply appreciated, or if anyone has ideas on how to improve the points, add to them or if they dont think a certain point would work.

One way to get around the same names popping up every week could be to have a team of the week picked from all grades including womens e.g. a back pocket could be from 2nd div and fullback from womens and rover from prems. This would make spots more competitive, a real feat to be picked almost over 600 players to choose from down to 18 or 22. I think it is a great idea for point 10 although I only said BOG because I think the amount of money given out should be raised considerably so if numerous awards were given out the amount would be fairly small I imagine.

Final point - IF ANYONE COULD SEND/SHOW OR LET ME KNOW HOW TO GET THESE IDEAS ACROSS TO THE BDAFL !! It would be deeply appreciated, or if anyone has ideas on how to improve the points, add to them or if they dont think a certain point would work.[/QUOTE

Try the BDFL CEO

garry.burkinshaw@afl.com.au

Hi, what is the realistic chance of a second senior club in Newcastle, i could be wrong but i understand that Newcastle is putting a second women's team in this year and also has 3 mens teams and 2 junior at least in every grade.

Whilst not wanting to dilute a strong club to the point of weakening it you would think it cant get a lot bigger.

I guess playing venues would be an issue for a new club to enter, but there are many examples of two clubs playing at the same venue, i use Kalgoorlie as an example, they have 2 grounds in Kal and 4 clubs.

Hi, what is the realistic chance of a second senior club in Newcastle, i could be wrong but i understand that Newcastle is putting a second women's team in this year and also has 3 mens teams and 2 junior at least in every grade.

Whilst not wanting to dilute a strong club to the point of weakening it you would think it cant get a lot bigger.

I guess playing venues would be an issue for a new club to enter, but there are many examples of two clubs playing at the same venue, i use Kalgoorlie as an example, they have 2 grounds in Kal and 4 clubs.

I believe that is a very strong possibility within a couple years.. west newy/wallsend

I believe that is a very strong possibility within a couple years.. west newy/wallsend

BRING BACK WEST NEWCASTLE/WALLSEND !!!!!!!! please message me on here or email me andrewsmithycuz@gmail.com if your interested in trying to bring this great club back to the BDAFL and we will attempt to contact the league as well as past and present players and give this a real crack !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BRING BACK WEST NEWCASTLE/WALLSEND !!!!!!!! please message me on here or email me andrewsmithycuz@gmail.com if your interested in trying to bring this great club back to the BDAFL and we will attempt to contact the league as well as past and present players and give this a real crack !

When did this club last play ?, is a oval available ? and would you need to start in divi 3 or lowest division, how far from Newcastles home ground ?.

Cheers.

By the looks of it Newcastle has 2 womens teams this year, i guess the possibility arises of a already made womens team for the club - maybe !.

Got along to see the Maitland game on the weekend and looked to be a lot of positive signs for the saints with the only worry being beardy missing most of the game after a knock. Looks like they've picked up a few boys from Cardiff! Could help them take that next step in the comp this year. Should be interesting the black diamond plate with those teams that were just in 3rd division coming into it, can see mid to lower table being very competitive, but singo and Maitland being ahead of the pack still.

yeah some big changes this year with Bishop leaving TA along with a decent player for VIC. City also lost a few, Crawford for sure and I'm pretty sure Kevin Macdonald also back down south.

TA gain a couple back though and as City has proven it's not all about the coach so the Panthers are likely to cope just fine with the loss of Bishop. By all accounts the replacement aint shabby though. Pencil them in for the premiership. City have a lot of blokes over 30 or thereabouts that have aching necks from all the premiership medals hanging off them. After last years win they may have played their last game in first grade. At the pointy end of the season on the small No.1 ground in trying conditions that experience loss could end up being the leg up TA need to reclaim the silverware.

Last years 3rd and 4th teams really true challengers. They seem to be improving their situation though. NB have got the young list with yet another season under their belts. WB could be a bit wobbly losing their young gun to the Swans and last year still had some old timers lining up, Jimmy Newburn did pretty well though I'll give him that.

Guess we'll just have to see what happens in the lower divisions. Maitland may be able to exact a bit of revenge for on Singo for last year. Wouldn't have a clue after that. I'd still love to see Lake Mac get some success. Maitland have come in and leap frogged them very quickly. You wouldn't see another less successful club yet they continue to turn up. 3 years ago they were playing top division footy and now back down to a single team in the lower division.

As for the 2nd Newcastle team, they need to get back to Hawkins Oval. Get a grant for dressing room upgrades and make it an AFL ground once again. You could actually bring back the West Newcastle club albeit totally resurrected from nothing. Makes sense though but how hard would it be to get the ground back. Bill Elliot would still be a swamp wouldn't it?

The womens comp will swell with the publicity the pro league has given the game. Any half athletic chick has got a good chance for a crack at playing televised footy for a pro team on primo venues with a big crowd. The talent pool is shallow no where near what the blokes league demands so any women who are fence sitting have been convinced to have a crack. It's a great thing and has shaken up the entire culture of footy clubs around the country and for the better I reckon. Welcome aboard ladies!!

Stoked to see the game growing in the region. Just disappointed I cant be there to be involved first hand.

Before anyone says no players receive payment I do know for sure some clubs do provide payment/incentives for certain players, although I am unsure of how much this would be and which clubs partake in this ? Additionally does anybody have an idea of how much 1st grade coaches are paid ? Also how long do you think it will take until the BDAFL can become a semi-pro league, in my point of view all it would take is some grants to each of the major clubs to do up their club houses well enough so they could hold functions, put some poker machines in and a bar which should get cash flowing enough for most players to receive a small financial benefit.

Bdafl coaches get paid anywhere in between $5-10000. If any clubs were going to consistently pay players Cardiff would be the next one with there new facilities, have been told by one or two from the hawks that this is there aim moving forward

Tips for round 1!

Terrigal
Nelsons Bay
And cardiff to cause an upset

Great tips! Would be hard pressed to find anyone but a Hawks insider to tip Cardiff over the Blues but by all accounts it was a great game and both teams had opportunities to win.

City lost again today, in all 3 grades. Just shows how strong Terrigal are and have been over a long journey. The blues will get their wins over the course of the year but may not reach the levels of last year.

The clubs to watch as far as keeping afloat goes will be TEBB. Would be good to see them building and remain competitive but if big losses start to get common it could be a strain.

Re the comments on going semi pro. I think we're a long way off. Times change no doubt but there is a push to remove pokies from pubs and most smaller sports clubs are either folding or being gobbled up by panthers/wests etc. Grants help you get equipment and facilities but doesn't help get $$$ to pay players. You'd be surprised how little some coaches get paid despite being part of successful teams.

QLD has surf clubs that have been established and can trade all year round. Down south it's similar with the footy clubs. The difference is the numbers that will turn up. Without solid crowds there's no sustainable way to start paying resources including players. Clubs need to continue to provide the best facilities possible, keep it social, provide quality coaching and a pathway for their juniors. If they can tick boxes in these areas they keep existing players and attract newcomers.

I have just posted a thread, in the Aust. Football League/ Women's Footy section, titled "What is the main motivating factor for females wanting to play the rough game of AFL?" Questions also relate how to recruit females.

As BDFL has had extraordinary success since 2015 in a RL heartland, would appreciate any views in that thread from those in the BDFL who have been involved in recruiting women.

surely for what looks such a successful league. most senior players would be getting paid something.

Before anyone says no players receive payment I do know for sure some clubs do provide payment/incentives for certain players, although I am unsure of how much this would be and which clubs partake in this ? Additionally does anybody have an idea of how much 1st grade coaches are paid ? Also how long do you think it will take until the BDAFL can become a semi-pro league, in my point of view all it would take is some grants to each of the major clubs to do up their club houses well enough so they could hold functions, put some poker machines in and a bar which should get cash flowing enough for most players to receive a small financial benefit.
tely

surely for what looks such a successful league. most senior players would be getting paid something.

Was told recently that a few players jumped ship from one club on the central coast to another on the promise of $40 a game. Only paid though if player attended all training sessions and after match functions.

Times are changing it would seem. Not ground breaking but the wheels are turning. Nelson Bay are currently sitting nicely in the 4, Cardiff have bounced back significantly this season. Good on ém...although I reckon there'd be a few that wouldn't be too concerned if they sat down the bottom half of the table for a few more years. Be that as it may, they recruited really well and having a new coach may have reinvigorated the whole club.

TA appear to have kept enough in their artillery to get another premiership at this point. They've had an ok run with injuries compared with others. Seems that their squad is the strongest and will take the minor premiership easily. Wait and see how they all hold up for the big dance.

City could still end up their opponent on the day. Looking at their squad that's been turning out and there's a lot of fresh faces and young players. More experience to come back into that team. They could well have beaten Cardiff in that last match. In the mean time the youth are getting the game time into the young legs but they could do with some more older heads out there to help guide.

Maitland would be priming themselves for their maiden premiership. They've had some big in's this year and the club is building well. Continually improving it would seem from the outer. Great stuff, breaking new ground in bumsniffing (league) territory.

"Reserve Grade" ahhh yeah...hope they're all having fun. That's the aim for that grade. I gotta say I haven't quite grasped the whole plate and reserves comps just yet but just a big bonus to have 3 divisions going around.

Womens comps still swelling. Brilliant! What a time to be alive! No longer do post match drinks at the pub with team mates have to be spent looking at overweight stubble ridden blokes. It's likely that after a few tart fuels young Candy from the womens give's you the wink and...hey, it's more likely than back 5 years ago. Clubs now have more income and a decent chance of morale being lifted as the girls support the blokes and vice versa. Absolute master stroke AFL, take a bow.

Now on a tender topic of the TA and City recruitment sanctions. I'm against. Case in point Cardiff. 96 owned that wooden spoon like it was always gonna be theirs. Then from 97 through til 2011 made more grand finals then anyone. Cardiff ressies also nabbed a few premierships in that era and their 17's/18's weren't that shabby either. Today they can still be considered a strong club and will go one step better when cameron park is launched. But they came back to earth didn't they? Were unbackable favourites to win premierships but other clubs experienced fairy tale moments beating them when it counted.

What happened to turn that club around I don't know exactly but they did it. I doubt they forked out wads of cash to do it also. From memory Ben McMahon, Simmo and G Vickery were all brand new to the game. Happened to be extremely solid players. Flynn moved into the area in 96 so it was the perfect storm. Last year they got a spoon again but this year, turned it back round...had to drop the div2 side but none the less can be considered a solid club.

City are already experiencing a changing of the guard. TA lost several times last year also.

I applaud the BDAFL taking action and giving this serious thought but unfortunately this action will impede rather than improve.

Harry Gun moves into Cooks Hill, knows a couple blokes from City through social or work and decides to join up...nope...sorry Johnny gotta head out to Warners bay, Nelson bay, Lake Mac or Cardiff where you don't know anyone and their grounds are rubbish. Johhny Gun "yeah..nah...might have a look at Wanderers or Merewether rugby thanks". Harry Gun could have been one of those game breakers that helps BDAFL get the win over teams like Sydney. Actually help give the game more good publicity.

This is the beginning of something new. Without being too cliched the whole culture of footy is changing. Grooving in the Moo almost results in a bye round for christs sake. The Old Boys all get fired up when they hear that players will mis a match for a music festival. The clubs that will be successful into the future will ensure they have their junior to senior pathway rock solid, will ensure their culture makes it appealing for existing and new players, will have coaching staff that can get the best out of everyone and develop youth along the way.

I do hope that this decision is altered or thrown out. This period of dominance from those 2 clubs is closer to the end so I reckon they've knee jerked too late.

Was told recently that a few players jumped ship from one club on the central coast to another on the promise of $40 a game. Only paid though if player attended all training sessions and after match functions.

$40 a game thats pretty rubbish, surely some players are receiving more generous payment. There is some fairly strong players in the league past AFL/NEAFL/VFL players. But what do people think about the standard of the league (Black Diamond Cup/Premier Division) i see the newcastle rugby league 1st grade is very strong along with the npl soccer, how does the bdafl rank up against all these and other leagues such as AFL Sydney, Riverina etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back