Academy Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/BrisbaneLions/Documents/2017 Academy Player Squad Lists.pdf

some notable names coming up in the next few years.

2017- Connor Ballenden, Jack Clayton, Bailey Lambert (Craig and Mel's son)
2018- Isaac William (Reuben's brother?)

was speaking to someone whose big in the qld footy circles, he reckoned isaac willliam was much better than reuben, ie better prospect. make of it what you will given reuben was taken in the rookie draft

was speaking to someone whose big in the qld footy circles, he reckoned isaac willliam was much better than reuben, ie better prospect. make of it what you will given reuben was taken in the rookie draft
Hasn't Reuben made comment of this as well?

The academy squads are too big, they need to be smaller and more focussed on the absolute elite talent.

That kind of defeats one of the central purposes of the academies which is to build quality in the level below as well. Take away that aspect and there is less justification for the concessions (such as they are).

The academy squads are too big, they need to be smaller and more focussed on the absolute elite talent.

You're right Acuguy.

There's a lot of dross in particular in those lower age squads and in my experience the Academy is of very little use/relevance until the boys hit the U16's, apart from (I guess) trying to stop them drifting to other codes.

Wouldn't he only be eligible for Richmond via father-son? Craig played less than 100 games for the Bears/Lions and I'd imagine his son won't fulfill the required time you need to spend in a city to become academy eligible because they lived in Sydney for years.

Yes, pretty sure that is the case. From memory Craig played 90ish games for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

96 games, will be a shame if he is a talent

From what I gather he goes ok but he probably wouldn't be getting mentioned if he wasn't a father/son.

Really interested in seeing how Darcy Marsh and Keidean Coleman-Broome develop. Two of the most skilful QLD kids of recent years.

didn't Keideans brother come through the system couple of years ago? apparently had speed and all that but no endurance, went undrafted

I gather Clayton (not father/son) is rated pretty highly.

He was in the AFL Academy this year and I was a bit disappointed early in what I saw of him. He played off the back flank mostly this year and did not get as much of it as I would have liked to see nor did use it particularly well. He did not have a great Champs.

I did get to see him play a couple of games at the end of the season though including one for the Lions reserves and I thought he had shown some really nice development from the earlier times I had seen him. He was getting more of it and there was more hurt factor on his disposals.

He seems like a professional kid and hopefully he can keep the upward curve going into next year.

He was not selected in the AFL Academy for next year so I don't think he is particularly highly rated but with that said if he continues to improve as he has I could see that changing.

He was in the AFL Academy this year and I was a bit disappointed early in what I saw of him. He played off the back flank mostly this year and did not get as much of it as I would have liked to see nor did use it particularly well. He did not have a great Champs.

I did get to see him play a couple of games at the end of the season though including one for the Lions reserves and I thought he had shown some really nice development from the earlier times I had seen him. He was getting more of it and there was more hurt factor on his disposals.

He seems like a professional kid and hopefully he can keep the upward curve going into next year.

He was not selected in the AFL Academy for next year so I don't think he is particularly highly rated but with that said if he continues to improve as he has I could see that changing.

According to the AFL website, Jack Clayton is in the 2017 AFL Academy.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-03/fatherson-prospects-headline-latest-afl-academy-squad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back