Alex Wright (Norwood)

Jack Tuthill

North Launceston

Ins:

Outs:

Michael Stingel (Norwood)
Tom Bennett
Corey Nankervis

* will only add confirmed as there are obviously heaps of rumours out there.

* post here and I’ll add on

Last edited:
Yes. Two more young players amongst the many lost to Tasmania for absolutely no benefit to their clubs or our football.
Happy?
Jesus. I just want to know what they play like...

Jesus. I just want to know what they play like...

Don't take it personally mate - it's a very, very touchy subject among the Tasmanian football community. The AFL has screwed Tasmania long enough before changing the rules around player movements to further damage Tassie's statewide league.

Don't take it personally mate - it's a very, very touchy subject among the Tasmanian football community. The AFL has screwed Tasmania long enough before changing the rules around player movements to further damage Tassie's statewide league.
So do you know much about them mate?

I think you are spot on there. The commitment and travel involved to play state league footy for basically peanuts is just too much for some players. Burnie have lost Zac Smith Zane Murphy and Tom Mitchell to local coaching roles plus a number of others and I heard Devonport have lost some players as well as all other clubs seem to have done. Players bailing out in big numbers should be a big red flag to TSL administrators and I really believe the TSL will not last for very many more years. The local comps seem to gaining more popularity all the time and that is where footy in Tassy is heading in my opinion.

I think you are spot on there. The commitment and travel involved to play state league footy for basically peanuts is just too much for some players. Burnie have lost Zac Smith Zane Murphy and Tom Mitchell to local coaching roles plus a number of others and I heard Devonport have lost some players as well as all other clubs seem to have done. Players bailing out in big numbers should be a big red flag to TSL administrators and I really believe the TSL will not last for very many more years. The local comps seem to gaining more popularity all the time and that is where footy in Tassy is heading in my opinion.

Its up to the AFL. If they want a TSL. then fund it properly. If they dont then piss off & let us go back to regional footy. Its their choice. They'll continue to suck money out of this place no matter what happens.
If we're not in the AFL, & they wont invest enough in our football, then we may as well dump the TSL.

Josh Hill from Glenorchy joins New Norfolk. they're already looking pretty strong with a lot of new faces.

Glenorchy's latest email newsletter says that Daniel Muir and his new finacee are headed to the mainland, doesn't say if he will be playing over there or not.

I edited out the Webster thing since he's actually not returning to the TSL. Apologies on that, I don't do Twitter or follow the VFL. Just saw the photo and caption popup.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Glenorchy's latest email newsletter says that Daniel Muir and his new finacee are headed to the mainland, doesn't say if he will be playing over there or not.

Daniel is headed to Leeton to play footy with the local club up there. Has a few mate playing up there already.

Daniel is headed to Leeton to play footy with the local club up there. Has a few mate playing up there already.
Cheers.

Yeah quite a few from Glenorchy have gone through there, Ben Curley, Bryce O'Garey, Jade Hodge were the recent ones. I think there were others.

Cheers.

Yeah quite a few from Glenorchy have gone through there, Ben Curley, Bryce O'Garey, Jade Hodge were the recent ones. I think there were others.

Yeh, you're right; Curls, O'Garey, Hodgey, Sean Browning, Luke Potter, Josh Grant (played for the Mont before leaving for Leeton, but was originally Glenorchy), Sam Hills, Callum Garvey and now Muir.

They made the GF last year after finishing near last the year before. I'm ex-Glenorchy(player) so know all of those guys.

Glenorchy have lost a few this year, not sure why to be honest. After the last couple of seasons they've had I'd have thought they might have wanted to stick around and have a crack at back-to-back. They had a really young and experienced group; with a lot of 24-25-year-olds with 100 senior games under their belt.

I know when I was playing there was a real hunger after losing to Clarence in '06 and winning in '07, to win again in '08. Perhaps some were just happy to win one senior flag.

Yeh, you're right; Curls, O'Garey, Hodgey, Sean Browning, Luke Potter, Josh Grant (played for the Mont before leaving for Leeton, but was originally Glenorchy), Sam Hills, Callum Garvey and now Muir.

They made the GF last year after finishing near last the year before. I'm ex-Glenorchy(player) so know all of those guys.

Glenorchy have lost a few this year, not sure why to be honest. After the last couple of seasons they've had I'd have thought they might have wanted to stick around and have a crack at back-to-back. They had a really young and experienced group; with a lot of 24-25-year-olds with 100 senior games under their belt.

I know when I was playing there was a real hunger after losing to Clarence in '06 and winning in '07, to win again in '08. Perhaps some were just happy to win one senior flag.

Ah yeah I had thought of Browning once I posted, I saw Brendan and him in photos on Facebook, as Branden and I are friends on there. I assume it was from Daniel's engagement party. I remember Grant at Claremont.

I only managed one Glenorchy game last season, due to working for the SFL, I was asked to do photos for the Footy Record at the Glenorchy/Kingston Under 18s game. Seems there are some good kids coming through, but I thought that a year before and half of them ended up at Claremont.

I was told at Claremont that there was an unhappiness with Glenorchy's development of young players, that is why some of them have up and left for other clubs, like Claremont, Sorell, Brighton and New Norfolk. Though, I have no idea. I have never been in the inner circle.

Shame that Glenorchy has lost so many, even though I don't get to their games anymore, I still follow the club, really going to be interesting to follow them.

There was a guy at Claremont that was suggesting that Muir would pick Claremont as he has a lot of friends playing there I had doubted he would. He also suggested Simon Spencer now that he got his 150th under his belt was headed back. Unsure about that, but that was his claims.

But will keep a keen eye on how the 'Pies do each week, I'm meant to be doing some photos for their women's team this season. So I may end up at a game or two.

Interesting day at work. My Magpie Mate couldn't wait to tell me about the Glenorchy AGM. He said a group tried to take the club over but were beaten when current President was re-elected by 99 votes to 53 over the father of 2 players who stood against him.
I thought it strange after a premiership that a group wanted to take over. I guess its healthy to have a contested election. Most clubs cant find anyone to help run things.! I know a number have moved to the mainland but surely thats not the Presidents fault?
MM said the players have been paid, theirs money in the bank & the club is now trading in the black, also club had a trading loss of $60k last year. That was due to the delayed start in their new clubrooms.
I guess that fits in with the report in the paper that some Glenorchy Councillors want an audit of how the money was spent on the new building & why it took so long to finish. Thats quite interesting. Council fingers in the Mag-pie?? :)

Anyway NHCFC desperately need to hurry & get back to being NHFC. Claiming the clubs heritage back is vital. Also the NRL game coming could make or break the club. Hope for good weather & 14000 like last time. That was a fantastic day for the club.

Any news on other clubs?

Vale Darryl Sutton refer madmugs post on the North Melb Forum yesterday, well said

Darryl Sutton who played in North's 1977 Premiership has died aged 64. Darryl was a super star sportsman at School in Tasmania, Darryl played his junior football at the Glenorchy football club & played in their 1975 Premiership team with a 17yo Rodney Eade & coached by Peter Hudson. He ended his football career coaching the North Hobart club in 1986. His career at North Melbourne speaks for itself. A fantastic athlete who could play at either end of the ground. The 1977 premiership was a fitting highlight for Darryl & his family.

Darryl suffered dementia in his later life.

Its a sad loss for his family, friends those of us who saw him through school sports, club sports, & the VFL.

Article in today's Mercury

THE AFL’S lack of grassroots funding in Tasmania has seen the introduction of a new fee that will affect more than 3500 junior footballers and could drive children to other sports.

The Southern Tasmanian Junior Football League has announced a $15 fee for the more than 3500 players in its competitions for the coming season to help pay for a part-time executive to become full-time.

In its message to parents, the league said the reason behind the new fee was: “The STJFL has not received any financial or personnel assistance from the AFL or AFL Tasmania for more than 15 years with the exception of a two-year period when AFL Tasmania administered Youth Age Football competitions.”

STJFL president Jim Horne said football remained the cheapest junior sport going around and the league had not introduced a fee increase in four years.

“Funding wise, we’ve never received a large amount of funding from the AFL – we are basically self-funded,” he said.

“However, we do receive lots of support from AFL Tas in terms of clinics and coaching for our clubs. I’m not going to criticise AFL Tas because I think they do a fantastic job.”

Clarence Junior Football Club registrar and board member Phil Johnson said for families deciding between sports, the new fee would be a deterrent.

Mr Johnson said on top of club registration fees of about $200, boots, socks, shorts, mouthguards and other general fundraising, football could become too expensive for some families, especially those with more than one player.

“Families need to make a choice,” he said.

“They are playing footy, soccer and basketball and whatever. When they get to high school, they have to make a decision on what sport they will concentrate on.

“If you’ve got an additional fee on top of that, a decision will be made for a lot of families that are struggling.”

He said fault did not lay at the feet of the not-for-profit junior league.

“The club’s criticism is not of the STJFL because they are purely under-resourced,” he said.

“In the past they have just relied on a couple of sponsors to subsidise that salary with no assistance from AFL Tas.”

Tasmanian Football Council general manager Jackson Hills said Tasmanian league levies were reasonable when compared with other sports.

“The STJFL are an independent body and make decisions for the sustainability and health of their competition,” he said.

“AFL Tasmania have commenced discussions with the STJFL and other leagues about future administration models, where staff could assist leagues with operations through economies of scale, but these discussions are only preliminary at this stage.”

But Mr Johnson said: “In Tassie, we’ve become conditioned to accept we get nothing.”

Now I'm not laying the blame at the STJFL, would like to hear from AFLTAS on this issue. My mate has a young fella who played in the under 16 carnival. He was speaking to the parents of a young Queensland player. They got onto the issue about how much it costs to travel interstate to games. The Queenslanders were dumb foundered that all the Tassie boys had to pay there own way, all Queensland players costs including airfares and accommandation were covered by AFL Queensland.

And we wonder why AFL football is dying in this state. No funding. No Support from administrators.
How about justafying your fat salaries AFL TAS and get the support that is required, If you have to call Gill get on the phone and do something, because in 10 -15 years you won't have a job because all the kids will be playing other sports.

No surprise in the difference between the money that's gets poured into a non traditional football state like Queensland and the crumbs left for Tasmania. In short the AFL has no real interest in Tasmania have a few Melbourne Teams FIFO a year that is enough. I have a little wicked laugh when I see how poor both QLD clubs are doing on and off the field must be costing millions to keep them both afloat.

I hope we do hear from AFL Tasmania unfortunately they will toe the company line from Melbourne, as you mention Whowants2know can not really blame STJFL who run on the smell of an oily rag 15 years with little or no money from the AFL Endless Money Pit....PISS POOR in years to come however this will have an effect on the number of Kids playing the game.

Hats off to today's "Mercury" editorial (Can read not behind a paywall) which has a go at the AFL on the matter.

Last edited:
No surprise in the difference between the money that's gets poured into a non traditional football state like Queensland and the crumbs left for Tasmania. In short the AFL has no real interest in Tasmania have a few Melbourne Teams FIFO a year that is enough. I have a little wicked laugh when I see how poor both QLD clubs are doing on and off the field must be costing millions to keep them both afloat.

I hope we do hear from AFL Tasmania unfortunately they will toe the company line from Melbourne, as you mention Whowants2know can not really blame STJFL who run on the smell of an oily rag 15 years with little or no money from the AFL Endless Money Pit....PISS POOR in years to come however this will have an effect on the number of Kids playing the game.

Hats off to today's "Mercury" editorial (Can read not behind a paywall) which has a go at the AFL on the matter.

Lets see if our gutless politicians look at this. We have millions of $$$ leave this state in the pockets of the FIFO clubs, more millions in club memberships. Gument should be reducing what they give to the AFL & AFLTas & helping grass roots football. Its grassroots football which is the most important level of sport. It gets kids active. It gets them in a team environment etc. Its the level affecting health, fitness & social inclusion far more than any other level of sport.
I note that AFLTas have employed more desk jockeys of late. Gee, thats going to help!!

Lets see if our gutless politicians look at this. We have millions of $$$ leave this state in the pockets of the FIFO clubs, more millions in club memberships. Gument should be reducing what they give to the AFL & AFLTas & helping grass roots football. Its grassroots football which is the most important level of sport. It gets kids active. It gets them in a team environment etc. Its the level affecting health, fitness & social inclusion far more than any other level of sport.
I note that AFLTas have employed more desk jockeys of late. Gee, thats going to help!!

The demise of grass roots footy is multi faceted. I see the main problems as that there is a shift in demographic-less people in the state in the age group of players. Changes in work- 7 day trading, shift work, employers not willing to allow people to play and certainly not support time off for injury, etc. The lack of jobs, particularly in regional areas that once was the heartland of footy. Soccer/basketball- i work in a school of 600+ kids and these are the 2 major sports, and finally misguided administration from AFL Tas. and lack of funding from AFL. Perfect storm really....

surely it is still cheaper to play Aussie Rules than Soccer. but that is a moot point.

it is more the look of it. just showcases how little the AFL cares about this state.

i also find it sorta funny that an NRL game down here will do more to help one of our clubs than what the AFL do. im looking forward to watching the Storm play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back