worst of the worst

Remove this Banner Ad

Turner was much underrated, and still is. Hard to think of another club off the top of my head that has had three better fullbacks over the past 20 years than Scotty, Gaspar and Rance.

And in the vein of this thread, we've also managed to poke Post and Thursfield in there too. Brings down the average a bit.
I really liked Turner. Plus he had a genuine mean streak in him, which never hurts. He turned out to be a very, very good fullback. He got a bad injury didn't he? Around '97 I think. I remember him getting suspended (deservedly) after a game where we flogged Carlton...and I don't think he played much more after that.

I always liked Tambling. Met him at a function when the Tigers had a preseason camp or something up in Ballarat. Think it was around 2007 from memory? I think we'd just picked up Paddy Bowden IIRC.

Anyway, he was a pretty nice guy. Quiet, polite and just seemed like a decent sort. I kind of retain hope that one day, another Tambling (think he had at least one son?) is drafted to the club as a F/S pick and gives a happy ending legacy to the family name. Not sure how much affection Richard holds towards the club and his time with us and whether he is bringing his kids up to be Tiger fans but I hope there could be a positive end note for the Tambling/Richmond association.

I always liked Tambling. Met him at a function when the Tigers had a preseason camp or something up in Ballarat. Think it was around 2007 from memory? I think we'd just picked up Paddy Bowden IIRC.

Anyway, he was a pretty nice guy. Quiet, polite and just seemed like a decent sort. I kind of retain hope that one day, another Tambling (think he had at least one son?) is drafted to the club as a F/S pick and gives a happy ending legacy to the family name. Not sure how much affection Richard holds towards the club and his time with us and whether he is bringing his kids up to be Tiger fans but I hope there could be a positive end note for the Tambling/Richmond association.
Met him a few times too .... wonderful person.
Was glad to see him play some really good football for Adelaide in his three years there and at Sturt.
Still paying in the NT league.

Did he play 100 games for us?

yep wind back the clock and a fit tambling would still be in my best 22 today, poor bloke played with muscle and bone probs most his career, wallet flogged him as well as cogs and foley into early retirement.

yep wind back the clock and a fit tambling would still be in my best 22 today, poor bloke played with muscle and bone probs most his career, wallet flogged him as well as cogs and foley into early retirement.
What a load of bull s**t.
Tambling was rubbish from basically day one and was gifted at least 80 games too many in hope he would morph into Rioli. A bit like DH with Conca. Your logic is flawed as he continued to play under super coach once Wallet left, so why didn't super coach turn him into a solid 22 player .He was moved on to the CROWS and he frittered away in the SANFL and only to be remembered by us.
Cogs suffered crippling injuries on the park which was Mother Nature being harsh on him.
Foley likewise , but continued to play until 2014 , five years after Wallet left.
Your memories of the RFC seem to be 2009 onwards and I wonder why???

Last edited:

Yep I liked Richard, I think he also had a big role in RFC's funding windfall from the federal government for our renovations/upgrade (correct me if I'm wrong). I remember a game he played at the telstra dome, where Joel Bowden was moved to the forward line and kicked the winner , snatching the game from Brisbane(Richard put the ball down his throat). Tiger army lifted the dome with noise, unreal sound....

I kinda have to side with TI on this one, Tambling did have potential, but he never really clicked for the large majority of his RFC career, and he was gifted many games that he shouldn't have been gifted. There's a reason for all the Buddy/Tambling jokes, and it's not all based on Buddy becoming so good... if Tambling had been decent, it wouldn't have been as bad, but the sad truth is that he was a total dud.

Although somewhat ironically (given that it's TI saying it), we've got Hardwick to thank for not letting it go on any longer with Tambling though, because it was Dimma who recognized very early on into his reign that Bling wasn't going to make it, which is why he was gone after just the 1 year under Dimma.

Actually FWIW, whether you're a fan of Dimma or not, he did do a pretty good job clearing out the dead wood from the Wallace era, turfed McMahon, Tambling, Hughes, JON, etc pretty quickly after taking charge.

As for Foley and Coughlan... well as much as I loved seeing Foley run around, I never rated him as more than a B player in a team full of D's tbh... like he wasn't terrible by any means, and he'd have got a gig in most teams... but he wasn't a superstar imo, just a solid player who looked like a world beater because of who he was surrounded by.

Coughlan... well he could have been anything, but he was decimated by injuries to the point of it becoming almost comical at times. Nathan Brown's leg was probably the single worst injury I've seen for a Richmond player, but in terms of an injury-plauged career, Coughlan would almost be #1. The only one who could challenge it would be Marc Dragicevic, however he wasn't as high profile or as talented as Cogs.

If the injuries didn't hit him like they did, Cogs would have been rated higher than Deledio is/was imo

One amazing memory in 100+ games FMD people aim low.
tambling sufferered compartment syndrome, it caused him pain/problems with his feet, calfs, hips and hammies, still had a handy career for a bloke whos body was prob never gonna be able to get his frame up to the rigours of preseason, home & away and finals footy. hell of a nice guy to by all reports.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come on guys, I think people are attempting to rewrite history here. Tambling was at best a D+ footy player. I'm sure he was a nice guy, but let's not forget he had zero impact in 108 games and if he hadve been taken at 103 in the draft compared to 3 he wouldn't have played 15 games.

We were probably extremely unfair on the bloke as a supporter base and he didn't ask to get picked at 3 but a good player he was not. If hes best 22 now then * me we should just close up shop.

I kinda have to side with TI on this one, Tambling did have potential, but he never really clicked for the large majority of his RFC career, and he was gifted many games that he shouldn't have been gifted. There's a reason for all the Buddy/Tambling jokes, and it's not all based on Buddy becoming so good... if Tambling had been decent, it wouldn't have been as bad, but the sad truth is that he was a total dud.

Although somewhat ironically (given that it's TI saying it), we've got Hardwick to thank for not letting it go on any longer with Tambling though, because it was Dimma who recognized very early on into his reign that Bling wasn't going to make it, which is why he was gone after just the 1 year under Dimma.

Actually FWIW, whether you're a fan of Dimma or not, he did do a pretty good job clearing out the dead wood from the Wallace era, turfed McMahon, Tambling, Hughes, JON, etc pretty quickly after taking charge.

As for Foley and Coughlan... well as much as I loved seeing Foley run around, I never rated him as more than a B player in a team full of D's tbh... like he wasn't terrible by any means, and he'd have got a gig in most teams... but he wasn't a superstar imo, just a solid player who looked like a world beater because of who he was surrounded by.

Coughlan... well he could have been anything, but he was decimated by injuries to the point of it becoming almost comical at times. Nathan Brown's leg was probably the single worst injury I've seen for a Richmond player, but in terms of an injury-plauged career, Coughlan would almost be #1. The only one who could challenge it would be Marc Dragicevic, however he wasn't as high profile or as talented as Cogs.

If the injuries didn't hit him like they did, Cogs would have been rated higher than Deledio is/was imo
Stopped reading when you said foley was only ever b grade

Stopped reading when you said foley was only ever b grade

If we're basing this on like schooling grades and stuff, you do realize that B grade is still pretty good right? Like there's A, B, C, D, and E grades, plus everything in between, so I'm still saying he's an above average player.

But are you seriously suggesting that Foley was an A grade player of the competition? I'm bias as hell about Richmond players, but dude... take the RFC glasses off for a minute and think about that!

Foley was a great servant of the RFC, with his absolute peak years being probably 2006-2008... but even during that time, do you honestly think he'd have gotten a game in the West Coast midfield of 2006, or the Geelong midfield of 2007?

I love Foley man, but at his best he was probably a B+ player at most. Given that his peak probably only lasted for about 2 or 3 years before injuries cut him down from his best, I think an overall B grade is actually pretty fair.

tambling sufferered compartment syndrome, it caused him pain/problems with his feet, calfs, hips and hammies, still had a handy career for a bloke whos body was prob never gonna be able to get his frame up to the rigours of preseason, home & away and finals footy. hell of a nice guy to by all reports.
So how was this Wallet's fault? You cannot blame the coach if a player doesn't have the body to cope with the physical demands of afl footy. You have changed your story which makes your original post look sillier. Note Rambling was a joke and Wallet was a bigger joke for gifting him so many games. DH best move was moving him on as he was finished.

no mate, the jokes on you pal, not many people on here understand or agree with your general sniping and opinions... go grab a sherrin, see if you can kick it over 30 metres and come back and try again ;)

If we're basing this on like schooling grades and stuff, you do realize that B grade is still pretty good right? Like there's A, B, C, D, and E grades, plus everything in between, so I'm still saying he's an above average player.

But are you seriously suggesting that Foley was an A grade player of the competition? I'm bias as hell about Richmond players, but dude... take the RFC glasses off for a minute and think about that!

Foley was a great servant of the RFC, with his absolute peak years being probably 2006-2008... but even during that time, do you honestly think he'd have gotten a game in the West Coast midfield of 2006, or the Geelong midfield of 2007?

I love Foley man, but at his best he was probably a B+ player at most. Given that his peak probably only lasted for about 2 or 3 years before injuries cut him down from his best, I think an overall B grade is actually pretty fair.
In 2009 he made the vic side and absolutely dominated he was A grade

So how was this Wallet's fault? You cannot blame the coach if a player doesn't have the body to cope with the physical demands of afl footy. You have changed your story which makes your original post look sillier. Note Rambling was a joke and Wallet was a bigger joke for gifting him so many games. DH best move was moving him on as he was finished.

I think the proof in the pudding regarding Tambling was that he did SFA at his 2nd club as well.

I can completely understand that there may have been reasons why he failed at Richmond, given the pressure of being a high pick, the Buddy comparisons, etc etc, but if he was ever going to make it, he would have come good for Adelaide.

It's like Jay Schulz, he was let go around the same time, but that one was more of a * up by us and our development, because when Schulz got to Port, he killed it. And it's not as if Port were an amazing team during his time there, aside from 2014 I guess.

Tambling didn't make it at the Crows because he was never going to make it in the AFL period. Sadly, because we took him so high in the draft, I guess Wallace felt that we couldn't simply move him on after 3 or 4 years when it became apparent that he was seriously struggling.

I doubt Wallace would have moved on JON either, but ironically, where he gave Tambling a chance time and time again, JON barely ever got a look in. But the reality is, they were both dud Top 10 picks, just because one of them played 100+ games, and the other only a handful, doesn't change that fact.

Come on guys, I think people are attempting to rewrite history here. Tambling was at best a D+ footy player. I'm sure he was a nice guy, but let's not forget he had zero impact in 108 games and if he hadve been taken at 103 in the draft compared to 3 he wouldn't have played 15 games.

We were probably extremely unfair on the bloke as a supporter base and he didn't ask to get picked at 3 but a good player he was not. If hes best 22 now then **** me we should just close up shop.
tambling was taken at 4, and my comment says a FIT tambling, he was poorly handled, todays medicos would have handled him much better and put him on a special program

In 2009 he made the vic side and absolutely dominated he was A grade

Actually that was 2008.

Sure, he made a rep team once, and he also nearly won a B&F one year too.

He had a 10 year career with us, and in that time (according to Wikipedia);

- He made a rep team for a Hall of Fame match in 2008.
- He made a 40 man AA squad once, in 2007.
- He finished runner up in a B&F once, in 2007.
- He played in an IR series as well, in 2008.

If that's the standard for being an A grader of the competition, then our standards for A graders are too low imho.

It sounds harsh, but it's the truth. Was he REALLY an A grader, or are we just feeling nostalgic about seeing Axel run about and do his thing?

Yep I liked Richard, I think he also had a big role in RFC's funding windfall from the federal government for our renovations/upgrade (correct me if I'm wrong). I remember a game he played at the telstra dome, where Joel Bowden was moved to the forward line and kicked the winner , snatching the game from Brisbane(Richard put the ball down his throat). Tiger army lifted the dome with noise, unreal sound....
He did the same thing to Jordan McMahon agianst Melbourne in 2009. Best kicks of both their careers.

foley was an A grader for sure, smallish pacy blokes like him tambling too, struggle if chronic leg injuries take there toll, plus preseasons become rehab rather than getting superfit to exploit oppositions with their skillful running powers. and long kicking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back