New to comics where to start

Remove this Banner Ad

May 9, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal,Redsox,Celtics
After watching the daredevil season on Netflix i have decided to start with the marvel universe comics. i had a look online and someone suggested starting with Civil War which I am reading and enjoying who knew it would take til im 36 to get into these things ha ha. anything you would recommend

A really good series to delve into if you've watched daredevil are the daredevil runs by frank miller and klaus janson, Brian bendis and Alex maleev, and ed brubaker and michael larks run. Not 100% on the numbering but a quick Google will find them. Comic shops and online sell these runs in book form so you can enjoy them start to finish uninterrupted. Punisher max by Garth Ennis is also a fave and Jason Aaron's Thor is incredibly good

Depends what you are after, but a good place to start is the crossover stories or graphic novels as they will tend to have a large group of Characters from each universe (brand) and you might find characters and their stroy arcs you want to read more about.

If you are interested in more than just Super Hero stuff, there are also a heap of great other types of stories out there. The Preacher comics are fantastic and a great place to start.

Start with comics from the 1970's, which can be had for cheap on eBay. Those were real comics, printed in watercolors on newsprint paper. Today's so-called "graphic novels" are actually Japanese Manga. I have always considered their sharp and garish colors repellant.

You need to start with the classics. Its where i started.
It give you an appriciation for the art more so than the actually story.
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns and Batman: Year One are good ones.
Watchmen and V for Vendetta and Mause are also highly recommended.

Exactly where I started. Those exact comics too. Except for Year One, I don't have that one yet.

I also eased myself into them by reading ones that tie into other things I like, for example the Mass Effect and Dragon Age graphic novels.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back