80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:

I had forgotten to post about an incident that occurred about four weeks ago. I sprayed a drive left off the 9th Tee at City Golf Club (my home course). My second shot saw me having to hit over the 10th Tee box. It was about 30m in front. The group in front who were waiting to tee off on 10 were local jockeys. I asked them to move for safety reasons and they said they would be right. My ball was in a hole and I miss hit it like a bullet at head height straight at them. To my relief, one of them just collapsed to the deck and the ball passed through their motorised cart. If he didn't duck, he most likely would've been dead or suffered massive head injuries. It was a massive warning to me and it still makes me nervous thinking about it. It was obviously a lucky outcome to something that would have been life changing.

I had forgotten to post about an incident that occurred about four weeks ago. I sprayed a drive left off the 9th Tee at City Golf Club (my home course). My second shot saw me having to hit over the 10th Tee box. It was about 30m in front. The group in front who were waiting to tee off on 10 were local jockeys. I asked them to move for safety reasons and they said they would be right. My ball was in a hole and I miss hit it like a bullet at head height straight at them. To my relief, one of them just collapsed to the deck and the ball passed through their motorised cart. If he didn't duck, he most likely would've been dead or suffered massive head injuries. It was a massive warning to me and it still makes me nervous thinking about it. It was obviously a lucky outcome to something that would have been life changing.

lucky they were jockeys.

Is there any documented evidence of any club on earth that magically acquired more players by dropping their standards for how to dress on the course?

i think its done on feel. like there's a cause an effect that if clubs allow say at worst shirts out, cargo shorts and runners people will come play.

I can see that it could change the psyche, but now that i think about it i dont agree. I had this chat with a friend who is a member at a club where basic adherence to dress code is observed - collar, pants/shorts. but they can wear black socks, and shirt untucked, runners. He subscribed to theory that if you relax the code, more people will join.

i countered with well ok, but that is not the reason for young people staying away is it? it's the cost and time needed to play. i say that to join a private sandbelt course in melbourne (if you wanted to go that way) is expensive. add to that a round takes 4-5 hours including travel and what not. students at school or uni aren't going to what to invest time at the course when they on a whole could be out with friends, on the drink, having unbridled and experimentory adult relations during the day.

If you wanna get around in casual clothes, melbournes public courses are very good and you can wear whatever you want.

Hey toxic Pklz Lebbo73 and all contributors to this thread. Question for you. I have some friends who love to play at the course Im at. I like inviting them when the chance arises. A handful of them, when invited, always ask "ive got some mates who'd love to play too, can I invite them?".

What is your take on friends inviting their mate(s) for a round after Ive made the invitation to my mate?

Hey toxic Pklz Lebbo73 and all contributors to this thread. Question for you. I have some friends who love to play at the course Im at. I like inviting them when the chance arises. A handful of them, when invited, always ask "ive got some mates who'd love to play too, can I invite them?".

What is your take on friends inviting their mate(s) for a round after Ive made the invitation to my mate?

100% not

You've invited one person (your mate) - not a handful of hangers on. You know your mate and trust him to invite him.

If i want a group of people I arrange to play in an ambrose day, or charity day somewhere.

Be that blunt - you'll only need to do it once and the offenders normally get the drift.

Don't offer any excuses - just say NO, it's not something I do

PS - when can i get a round? oh and my mum's friend at work who's just out of prison wouldn't mind tagging along ;)

100% not

You've invited one person (your mate) - not a handful of hangers on. You know your mate and trust him to invite him.

If i want a group of people I arrange to play in an ambrose day, or charity day somewhere.

Be that blunt - you'll only need to do it once and the offenders normally get the drift.

Don't offer any excuses - just say NO, it's not something I do

PS - when can i get a round? oh and my mum's friend at work who's just out of prison wouldn't mind tagging along ;)

Thanks for your reply mate. One mate is someone I trust with my life, and he had mates from NZ who were here for the cricket and asked if I could accommodate them too. I welcomed them given I wont be seeing them again. It was cool.

Im happy to invite internet friends!

They shouldn't do it. Maybe if they asked you first if they could but they shouldn't do it.

Can see it from both sides. But I've never been in the same position as I don't play on these schmicko sandbelt courses that aren't always easy for a regular joe to get onto.

Golf can be a great way to meet new people and boy you can learn a lot from spending 4 hours with them on the course haha. But a lot of people look forward to that round of golf a week or more in advance and don't want it to feel like they have to make an extra effort to accommodate someone else either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can see it from both sides. But I've never been in the same position as I don't play on these schmicko sandbelt courses that aren't always easy for a regular joe to get onto.

Golf can be a great way to meet new people and boy you can learn a lot from spending 4 hours with them on the course haha. But a lot of people look forward to that round of golf a week or more in advance and don't want it to feel like they have to make an extra effort to accommodate someone else either.

Hey bud, are you out Romsey/lancefield way?

I can see that it could change the psyche, but now that i think about it i dont agree. I had this chat with a friend who is a member at a club where basic adherence to dress code is observed - collar, pants/shorts. but they can wear black socks, and shirt untucked, runners. He subscribed to theory that if you relax the code, more people will join.

I actually reckon that if you make a conscious effort to boganise your club by letting tiprats wear whatever ghetto gear they want you will actually drive members away from your club.

Shirt untucked and runners. My god. Most people at the driving range I go to dress better than that.

I'd say no. Treat your golf course like your wedding. Only invite people you know you will continue to be mates with. The mates of mates can come on the Bucks party at the public course down the road.
On a side note I do holiday down the Peninsula once or twice a year and I have started taking the clubs with me. Just saying

I'd say no. Treat your golf course like your wedding. Only invite people you know you will continue to be mates with. The mates of mates can come on the Bucks party at the public course down the road.
On a side note I do holiday down the Peninsula once or twice a year and I have started taking the clubs with me. Just saying

I love the analogy. Unfortunately there were no stunning bridesmaids at my wedding, or at golf (actually there are some....). :(

You're down on the Pen a few times a year? Cool! Let me know when mate, Ill let bayviews gc know youre on the way ;)

I actually reckon that if you make a conscious effort to boganise your club by letting tiprats wear whatever ghetto gear they want you will actually drive members away from your club.

Shirt untucked and runners. My god. Most people at the driving range I go to dress better than that.

true story, over christmas a radio host/comedian on project (the), was down at the club. camo cargo shorts and tee shirt. for the short time i was there in the vicinity he wasnt asked to change or leave. i hope he was after

true story, over christmas a radio host/comedian on project (the), was down at the club. camo cargo shorts and tee shirt. for the short time i was there in the vicinity he wasnt asked to change or leave. i hope he was after

Not sure but didn't Ricky Pontings membership application at an exclusive Vic course get denied because he didn't remember the name of a person he'd played with the week before.
Said person put in a complaint and membership application was denied??

Royal have also in the past binned the applications of Sam Newman, Lleyton Hewitt amongst others and Shane Warne has effectively been warned off the venue.

They are a club that basically don't want the fuss that these celebrities bring.

Thanks, we have newman now. although from what i see he seems ok to chat with others. hell, even said hello to me. grant thomas is a strange looking unit tho.

oh yeah warne is an ambassador of national. how do i know this? he always says it on insta.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back