Play Nice 2016 Presidential Election Part 4 - President-Elect Trump

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like building the wall in theory. Keeping more jobs in the US for US citizens is a good thing. Trump wants to make sure the US is great again, meaning their country prioritised over others and that is fine with me. There were a lot of individuals forgotten by past administrations and they won't be now.

In terms of Australia we will have a good healthy relationship with Trump. Prepared to give him a chance.

Much rather him than yet another Clinton!

What policy does he have to keep jobs in the usa?

A 45% tariff is too low, and will get them booted from the wto. US coal isnt cheap, and was only exportable during chinas manufacuring boom

Some amusing stuff , some hokey stuff and some truly Bob Hawke like promises that are fairy floss.

For too long, a small group in our nation's capital has reaped the rewards of government while the people have borne the cost. Washington flourished, but the people did not share in its wealth. Politicians prospered, but the jobs left and the factories closed. The establishment protected itself, but not the citizens of our country. Their victories have not been your victories. Their triumphs have not been your triumphs. And while they celebrated in our nation's capital, there was little to celebrate for struggling families all across our land.

And some posters say drain the swamp means the CIA and FBI. Lol at you Procrastinator35

At the center of this movement is a crucial conviction, that a nation exists to serve its citizens. Americans want great schools for their children, safe neighborhoods for their families, and good jobs for themselves. These are just and reasonable demands of righteous people and a righteous public.

But for too many of our citizens, a different reality exists: mothers and children trapped in poverty in our inner cities; rusted out factories scattered like tombstones across the landscape of our nation; an education system flush with cash, but which leaves our young and beautiful students deprived of all knowledge; and the crime and the gangs and the drugs that have stolen too many lives and robbed our country of so much unrealized potential.

This American carnage stops right here and stops right now.

I bet the guns keep getting sold and used. But the above is a motherhood statement , similar to '' no child in poverty'' that made everybody forget everything that Hawke talked about.

The next bit is a mish-mash of ideas Trump talked about , but mostly the focus on the Military presence and use of.

For many decades, we've enriched foreign industry at the expense of American industry; subsidized the armies of other countries, while allowing for the very sad depletion of our military. We've defended other nations' borders while refusing to defend our own.

And spent trillions and trillions of dollars overseas while America's infrastructure has fallen into disrepair and decay. We've made other countries rich, while the wealth, strength and confidence of our country has dissipated over the horizon.

One by one, the factories shuttered and left our shores, with not even a thought about the millions and millions of American workers that were left behind. The wealth of our middle class has been ripped from their homes and then redistributed all across the world.

But that is the past. And now, we are looking only to the future.

There should be no fear. We are protected and we will always be protected. We will be protected by the great men and women of our military and law enforcement. And most importantly, we will be protected by God.

If God is protecting America then why all the Military? But aside from that , the message , to me, is that Trump will reduce the numbers overseas while filling the numbers/redeploying in the US. Why? Is his message that America is in most danger of war? Is his message a hidden message to Mexico that the US will go to war over immigration? Shall be interesting to see.

There was a very strong Protectionist message. Now whether it can truly happen I am not sure but good luck with that Donald.

We will bring back our jobs. We will bring back our borders. We will bring back our wealth. And we will bring back our dreams.

We will build new roads and highways and bridges and airports and tunnels and railways all across our wonderful nation. We will get our people off of welfare and back to work, rebuilding our country with American hands and American labor.

Listening to this bit I had this strange Kafka-esque vision of chain-gangs and salt mines .

We will follow two simple rules; buy American and hire American.

I hope people don't let this promise die at the first hurdle. If any America truly wants America Great again then this is the one and only promise they should hold Trump to.

Overall it was a very focused speech and apart from the Trade issues looming, one that shouldn't worry any other country. A lot of isolationism and protectionism but the reality will trump (pun intended) the dream.

In terms of Australia we will have a good healthy relationship with Trump. Prepared to give him a chance.
But you wouldn't have given a Clinton a chance?

Anyway to this. Protectionism and Isolationism does not help Australia. Anzus treaties and TPP are effectively dead. Indonesia will in the current mood test our patience more than any other time since the 60s.

Oh and lets have a sig bet that the wall doesn't get built in the meaning you expect. I think there will be a ceremonial wall built somewhere and the rest will be a dingo fence. What kind of wall do you envision? Great Wall of China style wall?

Last edited:
I like building the wall in theory. Keeping more jobs in the US for US citizens is a good thing. Trump wants to make sure the US is great again, meaning their country prioritised over others and that is fine with me. There were a lot of individuals forgotten by past administrations and they won't be now.

Much rather him than yet another Clinton!

He'll be lucky to get the appropriations for the wall.

giphy.gif

I wonder which HBB Bill has been caught staring at this time?

George W. at the very end. Brilliant.

Given his dislike for Hollywood, very interesting that he feels the need to copy. Obviously, he takes lessons from his wife.

The train wreck has begun, enjoy the ride.

Oh and religion and its wars is the biggest killer of people on this earth and that has been occurring over the millennia.
The trainwreck began many decades ago.

Tried to find some figures on previous crowd sizes and found there are concerns over estimates. Here is a list of previous inaugurations.

Barack Obama, 2013: 1 million

Barack Obama, 2009: 1.8 million (generally considered a record for people on the National Mall)

George W. Bush, 2005: 400,000

George W. Bush, 2001: 300,000

Bill Clinton, 1997: 250,000

Bill Clinton, 1993: 800,000

George H.W. Bush, 1989: 300,000

Ronald Reagan, 1985: 140,000 tickets sold, but record cold moved the swearing-in ceremony indoors

Ronald Reagan, 1981: 10,000, according to the New York Times. This was the first year the ceremony was performed on the west side of the Capitol.

Some estimates of the DT Era suggest 700,000

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given his dislike for Hollywood, very interesting that he feels the need to copy. Obviously, he takes lessons from his wife.

Oh and religion and its wars is the biggest killer of people on this earth and that has been occurring over the millennia.

Capitalism/Greed shits on religion

Capitalism/Greed shits on religion

Yes, but we'll use religion as a cover & rationale....And all the nuffies - who can't rub 2 sticks together - will then swallow it holus bolus.

Voltaire "God is always on the side of the big batallions".

Tried to find some figures on previous crowd sizes and found there are concerns over estimates. Here is a list of previous inaugurations.

Barack Obama, 2013: 1 million

Barack Obama, 2009: 1.8 million (generally considered a record for people on the National Mall)

George W. Bush, 2005: 400,000

George W. Bush, 2001: 300,000

Bill Clinton, 1997: 250,000

Bill Clinton, 1993: 800,000

George H.W. Bush, 1989: 300,000

Ronald Reagan, 1985: 140,000 tickets sold, but record cold moved the swearing-in ceremony indoors

Ronald Reagan, 1981: 10,000, according to the New York Times. This was the first year the ceremony was performed on the west side of the Capitol.

Some estimates of the DT Era suggest 700,000
It's probably worth noting that Hillary Clinton won 92% of the vote there in the election. Something along the lines of 290k votes to 12k votes. I'd imagine that could have a reasonable effect on those tallies.

Trying to make sense. Americans will get jobs becoming s a bigger military power which won't get involved in anything military except eliminating terrorism and harassing people trump doesn't like

History tells us he could be hugely popular at home and among ratbags abroad. But it's not sustainable.

Speech sounds more like a despot from a declining power going through downsizing

Trying to make sense. Americans will get jobs becoming s a bigger military power which won't get involved in anything military except eliminating terrorism and harassing people trump doesn't like

History tells us he could be hugely popular at home and among ratbags abroad. But it's not sustainable.

Speech sounds more like a despot from a declining power going through downsizing

Yeah, fair point.

I can't see how increasing the size of an already over-bloated & over-extended military, will go anyway to reigning in the debt....The cost of maintenance alone, on the 100 + U.S overseas bases, would be astronomical.

He's telling porkies on one of em, in order to appease the other faction....Lets hope it's the military & not the people.

Jack Ma makes some good observations on this very point.

Last edited:

No its lack of clean water, food, hygiene & diseases. Religious wars are down the list a bit ;)

As of 2moz the spotlight moves onto trump.

However....I don't see you bitching & moaning when I continually lay the boots into Bush here also.:rolleyes:....Parochialism duly noted.

Well there's a fairly big difference isn't there? Hillary was never given the chance to craft an executive government. Her most important work was done inside Obama's administration as Secretary of State and was therefore one of several voices. We will never know exactly what kind of President or decision maker she may have been. We do know the history of the Bush administration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back