AFL Evolution - Out May 5 - (Cont in LAUNCH THREAD - link in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think its time to leave BigAnt and the Live 1 comparisons out of this now. They haven't been involved with the AFL gaming world since 2012 last (DLC Pack). I'm honestly hoping WW have learned in the past 4 years at least how to master the basics for developing this game! Have faith, we'll know soon how good/bad the game will be!

I think its time to leave BigAnt and the Live 1 comparisons out of this now. They haven't been involved with the AFL gaming world since 2012 last (DLC Pack). I'm honestly hoping WW have learned in the past 4 years at least how to master the basics for developing this game! Have faith, we'll know soon how good/bad the game will be!
Until the benchmark is passed, it remains the benchmark though. Hopefully Evolution does eclipse it though and become the benchmark for future AFL games.

There are no excuses for WW this time around to not make a 2011 game look as dated as it should (because honestly, it wasn't setting the world on fire in '11 either). So let's hope they've come to play (to use a terrible footy commentator cliche).

Until the benchmark is passed, it remains the benchmark though. Hopefully Evolution does eclipse it though and become the benchmark for future AFL games.

There are no excuses for WW this time around to not make a 2011 game look as dated as it should (because honestly, it wasn't setting the world on fire in '11 either). So let's hope they've come to play (to use a terrible footy commentator cliche).

That response was centimetre perfect! lol

Hi guys, I know you have seen it, but like it or not, for what it is worth, here is the youtube link for the AFL Evolution behind the scenes video:

Got a Saints player render fellas?

I agree. I know people are upset (especially Facebook nutters) that this wasn't a true trailer etc, but the fact they have old players in the video etc actually fills me with more confidence too. This clearly isn't a mobile game they've slapped a PS4/Xbox One/PC sticker on, it really does look like it's been built from the ground up. And they've literally been developing it for years. And the seemingly heavy AFL input is great to see too. They're finally taking it seriously.

Hopefully their early comments about taking the best bits of Live, Live 2 and the old IR Gurus games (while forging ahead with new things) is accurate. Cos even now I still think IR Gurus did *some* things better. Little things like the interchange screen being shaped like an oval with players in positions instead of just a list like the Live games. I did have AFL 99 on PSone too but my memory of that one is a bit hazy now. I do miss the bump button from that one though, it felt a lot "meatier" than the more modern versions:

:thumbsu:

It means they started work on the game a long time ago, not necessarily that they've been working on it this whole time.

How likely is that though? Pumping all that time and money into motion capturing 18 teams, the umpires and so forth and then just ... leaving it there?

I agree. I know people are upset (especially Facebook nutters) that this wasn't a true trailer etc, but the fact they have old players in the video etc actually fills me with more confidence too. This clearly isn't a mobile game they've slapped a PS4/Xbox One/PC sticker on, it really does look like it's been built from the ground up. And they've literally been developing it for years. And the seemingly heavy AFL input is great to see too. They're finally taking it seriously.

Hopefully their early comments about taking the best bits of Live, Live 2 and the old IR Gurus games (while forging ahead with new things) is accurate. Cos even now I still think IR Gurus did *some* things better. Little things like the interchange screen being shaped like an oval with players in positions instead of just a list like the Live games. I did have AFL 99 on PSone too but my memory of that one is a bit hazy now. I do miss the bump button from that one though, it felt a lot "meatier" than the more modern versions:

I still love AFL 99 (at least the PC version, the ps1 version was extremely watered down in comparison) for a long time it really had the most accurate recreation of the game of AFL
It means they started work on the game a long time ago, not necessarily that they've been working on it this whole time.
That's taking being pessimistic to a whole new level

Why on earth would they take player scans and not work on the game for a year or two after ?

Inb4 game is released and isn't an actual game, just a player render viewer.

You're usually a much better poster than this, which right now is the role of the sarcastic a-hole searching for cheap likes, sort of similar to the poster that gate crashes the annual Hottest 100 thread telling all the posters how bad he thinks Triple J is.

Not saying there isn't a place for criticism but so many of your recent posts have just been dripping with cynicism and snark to the point where it's nearly as annoying as GTL's player ratings.

You're usually a much better poster than this, which right now is the role of the sarcastic a-hole searching for cheap likes, sort of similar to the poster that gate crashes the annual Hottest 100 thread telling all the posters how bad he thinks Triple J is.

Not saying there isn't a place for criticism but so many of your recent posts have just been dripping with cynicism and snark to the point where it's nearly as annoying as GTL's player ratings.

Let's not go nuts.

So as wicked witch have stated they have taken the best parts from previous AFL games (or at least what they think was the best parts) and tries to tie them into afl evolution

I know it was stated earlier that they have re introduced the grubbed kick which I think is an awesome idea

I was just wondering what everyone else thinks the took from the previous games to use in the new one or what do you think they should use in afl evolution ?

Personally I think they brinh the trigger modifier for the snap kick which I think was in afl 2003 or 2004 I can't remember if that was just for set shots or on the run aswell

And hopefully they get a more free flowing game like afl live was compared to afl 2003-2007 how those games were very stop start in their movement and kicking actions

But yeah I'm keen to hear what everyone thinks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So as wicked witch have stated they have taken the best parts from previous AFL games (or at least what they think was the best parts) and tries to tie them into afl evolution

I know it was stated earlier that they have re introduced the grubbed kick which I think is an awesome idea

I was just wondering what everyone else thinks the took from the previous games to use in the new one or what do you think they should use in afl evolution ?

Personally I think they brinh the trigger modifier for the snap kick which I think was in afl 2003 or 2004 I can't remember if that was just for set shots or on the run aswell

And hopefully they get a more free flowing game like afl live was compared to afl 2003-2007 how those games were very stop start in their movement and kicking actions

But yeah I'm keen to hear what everyone thinks
The marking/leading of AFL Live 1 and the only respectable thing in AFL Live 2 would be the cut scenes.
Also wouldn't mind seeing the Brownlow/Coleman and other stat leaderboards between rounds like in AFL 2004 Premiership Edition.

I agree that its promising with the grubber kicks however, I just hope they are realistic where you can utilise them like afl players do in real life where they are mainly used to curl it along the ground through the goals and not rugby league like.

Last edited:

I just realized that the kicking sound effect was a car door closing

Also is it not possible that wicked witch are being told to market it like the AFL markets it's brand by always being relevant

They probably have an exact time line set out by the AFL in which they have some sort of 'news' every month right up until the release date to build maximum exposure
If they release everything they had now they could go 3 months without any media and that's not how the AFL works

For those worried about what year lists will be released, it's coming out with 2017 lists. I recall some were worried from that Bulldogs teaser video where it had names like Jarrad Grant and Ayce Cordy to name a couple (who obvs aren't there anymore)

For those worried about what year lists will be released, it's coming out with 2017 lists. I recall some were worried from that Bulldogs teaser video where it had names like Jarrad Grant and Ayce Cordy to name a couple (who obvs aren't there anymore)
Oh I knew it would come out with '17 lists. My concern was more that everybody not scanned two years ago wouldn't be scanned at all, in which case you'll have a bunch of realistic player models and some, errrr, not so realistic ones.

Oh I knew it would come out with '17 lists. My concern was more that everybody not scanned two years ago wouldn't be scanned at all, in which case you'll have a bunch of realistic player models and some, errrr, not so realistic ones.
That and a few players have changed quite a bit in 2 years. Maxy Gawn's facescan from 2015 would look a bit dated today.

I don't think anyone ever assumed that it would come out with outdated lists.

That and a few players have changed quite a bit in 2 years. Maxy Gawn's facescan from 2015 would look a bit dated today.

I don't think anyone ever assumed that it would come out with outdated lists.
Hopefully the fan hub will allow you to change appearance of licensed players. For example, change the Bonts hairstyle and make sure that Gawn has his big beard.

I reckon the next exclusive video is going to involve the fan hub. Makes sense for this to continue off the end of the player renders.

I reckon the next exclusive video is going to involve the fan hub. Makes sense for this to continue off the end of the player renders.
i don't think we'll see anything of fan hub until launch

I think we are forgetting a very a much left out feature of AFL games. It needs a NHL style fight system

You mean 7 jumper punches then one player holding his face appealing to the umpire while Bruce mac tells us this is too violent and Cameron Ling says they should get 7 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back