Draft Profile Early reports on new draftees...

Remove this Banner Ad

Managed to get out to a training before Christmas and Begley was the real surprise packet. I think he is a real chance to play early on and can't wait to see him in the NAB cup, just something about him.
McGrath looked silky and his voice was noticeable on the track, seems to be a born leader. Would be very surprised if he isn't in the round 1 side. Clarke looked to be very fit and a decent build and think he will be in the mix next year. Didn't see much of Ridley and Mutch looks a fair bit off at this stage. Draper looks pretty exciting but he is a good 12 months away from being AFL ready. All in all pretty happy from our draftees. Hard to tell from training alone but was really impressed by Stewart on the track, whether his training form can be replicated in games is another thing

Managed to get out to a training before Christmas and Begley was the real surprise packet. I think he is a real chance to play early on and can't wait to see him in the NAB cup, just something about him.
McGrath looked silky and his voice was noticeable on the track, seems to be a born leader. Would be very surprised if he isn't in the round 1 side. Clarke looked to be very fit and a decent build and think he will be in the mix next year. Didn't see much of Ridley and Mutch looks a fair bit off at this stage. Draper looks pretty exciting but he is a good 12 months away from being AFL ready. All in all pretty happy from our draftees. Hard to tell from training alone but was really impressed by Stewart on the track, whether his training form can be replicated in games is another thing
Stewart was always very athletic but he needs to work on utilising his size. Plays like Jane too much

Stewart was always very athletic but he needs to work on utilising his size. Plays like Jane too much
Hopefully being cut from you guys is the kick up the backside he needs. He looked pretty strong in a couple of match ups during training and hopefully Woosha can find the spark to light his fire

Hopefully being cut from you guys is the kick up the backside he needs. He looked pretty strong in a couple of match ups during training and hopefully Woosha can find the spark to light his fire
I wouldn't say he was cut but was told his position in the list and moved for opportunity

So Freeman fit and healthy?? Great to hear.
Came 2nd or 3rd in the 3km time trial in latish November as well and has apparently been killing it on the track in between, so all the signs are good at the moment, touch wood.

He apparently used to kill it on the track over preseason at Collingwood as well though, so it doesn't count for much until he gets through some games at full intensity.

As far as I'm aware he hasn't had a setback for at least 6 months though and played about 6 games at the lower levels at the end of the season (albeit I think going at about 80% intensity), so if he keeps this up hopefully we'll be able to have a look at him in the preseason games and he'll be able to go full-bore.

Came 2nd or 3rd in the 3km time trial in latish November as well and has apparently been killing it on the track in between, so all the signs are good at the moment, touch wood.

He apparently used to kill it on the track over preseason at Collingwood as well though, so it doesn't count for much until he gets through some games at full intensity.

As far as I'm aware he hasn't had a setback for at least 6 months though and played about 6 games at the lower levels at the end of the season (albeit I think going at about 80% intensity), so if he keeps this up hopefully we'll be able to have a look at him in the preseason games and he'll be able to go full-bore.

His 2nd Pre-Season people where Raving about Freeman all Pre-Season but Broke down about the Start of the Season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No worries though as you guys have a hell of a lot more than everyone else. Seriously stacked squad. Every team gets injuries and it'd have to be Mumford and 2 or 3 of the players you mentioned above before your depth is seriously tested. For all the bravado of other teams supporters it's yours to lose in 2017... and probably the next 2 or 3 years. If you play to strengths your quality will cut other teams to pieces. It's that simple.

We thank you for suggesting others might have a chance though, it's quite cute.
That injury scenario you mentioned happened, and then some, to the 2016 premiers. Don't get too caught up in the media generated circle jerk over the GWS list.

His 2nd Pre-Season people where Raving about Freeman all Pre-Season but Broke down about the Start of the Season

He had a lot of setbacks last year with his pre season. This year has been problem free and he's been the part of the main group from get go, and came within 4th in full team's 3 km time trial (last year he didn't even participate). It's not much (there is only so much you can know in the pre season), and we'll see how his season progresses. If he can string some good performances in the VFL, maybe he can debut in the AFL in the 2nd half of the season.

Leaving Freeman aside, from the young group, McKenzie's been showing good attributes from all reports, Acres is tracking well and Phillips surprisingly came second behind Geary in 3km time trial.

Ed Phillips came 3rd in our 3km time trial yesterday, which was a terrific effort for someone just drafted. To beat Nathan Freeman and Jack Newnes (who came 4th and 5th) was particularly impressive.

PLease tell me his nickname is laughing

He did start 2015 and 2016 higher up the pecking order than he ended both seasons. Dont think work ethic has ever been a problem. He's still young and hope he matures and delivers, he's got all the signs of guy who matures late.

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say I think De Boer will play AFL for us next year. People at the draft said it was Leon at our table that clearly indicated we wanted him. I trust his judgement amd it will be his call pretty much.
He's trained well.and showed the right attitude when interviewed. He's not the next Dylan Shiel clearly but no club can have 18 Dylan's out there. I think he'ĺl bring maturity and poise when it's needed. Ever since he's been coach Leon has pushed hard the need to keep going when things aren't going well, and has consistently supported older players who wont drop their heads when things go to hell.

McCluggage is already in our top 5 players at the club. I suspect he would be top 5 in a few other clubs as well. I can't believe he slipped to pick 3 he just sees the play before him much like Pendlebury which allows him to rack them up and he never wastes the ball but can also push forward and kick a bag. His only main weakness is that he is a bit slight but a few preseasons will fix that.

Will wait and see how he fares during an AFL game but everyone at the Lions knows they have a potential Brownlow medalist on our hands.

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say I think De Boer will play AFL for us next year. People at the draft said it was Leon at our table that clearly indicated we wanted him. I trust his judgement amd it will be his call pretty much.
He's trained well.and showed the right attitude when interviewed. He's not the next Dylan Shiel clearly but no club can have 18 Dylan's out there. I think he'ĺl bring maturity and poise when it's needed. Ever since he's been coach Leon has pushed hard the need to keep going when things aren't going well, and has consistently supported older players who wont drop their heads when things go to hell.

Lol reckons de boer will play for GWS but doesn't think Matthew Boyd would get a game. De boer is average.

Of course both would play if they were on the list though

McCluggage is already in our top 5 players at the club. I suspect he would be top 5 in a few other clubs as well. I can't believe he slipped to pick 3 he just sees the play before him much like Pendlebury which allows him to rack them up and he never wastes the ball but can also push forward and kick a bag. His only main weakness is that he is a bit slight but a few preseasons will fix that.

Will wait and see how he fares during an AFL game but everyone at the Lions knows they have a potential Brownlow medalist on our hands.
That's correct I do. We dont need a back reaching the end of his career. We have Shaw down there and couldn't fit Corr or Buntine in after their return from injury.We would have no use for Boyd. Shaw provides leadership, and isn't going anywhere, and Davis is a co-captain. Deal with it

De Boer in my view can play a role for us in the midfield that needs to be done. Similar to Sam Reid last year. He did play as a forward mostly but moved into the midfield in game when we needed experience and composure.

On SM-N920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

He had a lot of setbacks last year with his pre season. This year has been problem free and he's been the part of the main group from get go, and came within 4th in full team's 3 km time trial (last year he didn't even participate). It's not much (there is only so much you can know in the pre season), and we'll see how his season progresses. If he can string some good performances in the VFL, maybe he can debut in the AFL in the 2nd half of the season.

Leaving Freeman aside, from the young group, McKenzie's been showing good attributes from all reports, Acres is tracking well and Phillips surprisingly came second behind Geary in 3km time trial.

Same Thing happened in Pre-Season Mentioned. Trained pretty much full Pre-Season and Hammy got sore again about time VFL Season Started

Remove this Banner Ad

Back