Australia's Summer of Cricket - Do We Need to Fix the Scheduling?

Should we change the future summer scheduling?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember them being fairly keen on Boxing Day around the time of the 2015 World Cup. Will try to find the article.

I think I read New Zealand and South Africa are happy to play Boxing Day here on the proviso we go there for a Boxing Day. CA would never agree to that and probably don't want to shell out big money to get SA or NZ here. They are probably content with the current arrangement of India and England every 4 years with Sri Lanka, Pakistan or West Indies taking the remaining 2 spots.

Last edited:

Yeah for a test in Darwin.

After that Cairns and Townsville are infinitely more appealing than ******* Alice Springs.

Geez, once every 5 year or so. Make it a pink ball Test, get ratings, $$$$

I think I read New Zealand and South Africa are happy to play Boxing Day here on the proviso we go there for a Boxing Day. CA would never agree to that and probably don't want to shell out big money to get SA or NZ here. They are probably content with the current arrangement of India and England every 4 years with Sri Lanka, Pakistan or West Indies taking the remaining 2 spots.

NZ might be fine with it if 2 Tests were scheduled (Melbourne + Sydney) and no accompanying ODIs/T20s. Even if you factored in a tour match or two, they'd only be away from home for ~3 weeks under that proposal.

WI are supposed to return for 3 Tests in 2019-20, but if NZ replace them as sources have claimed, that could mean one less test. Pakistan might pick up the slack with some extra ODIs in that situation.

Emphasis on t20, and the development of franchise cricket has killed the game

Crowds were growing slightly in all formats when it was state cricket t20.
They should have a home and away series where each side plays shield, one day and t20 in the space of 2 weeks, with double and triple headers, and a finals carnival rotated yearly
Fixturing like that would then open up the international fixtures, instead of cramping the schedule to fit it all in

Of corse, that would mean the states got the money, not CA, and now the BBL has got its roots in, so it's pointless to discuss

Issue will be persuading NZ to not have any international games over Boxing Day/NY in NZ, though.
It is an issue, but NZC were OK with the idea last summer. It just didn't eventuate because of other series that were locked in, and the day/night experiment. South Africa are a different story and are only willing to do it if Aus goes there for Boxing Day in return.

It is an issue, but NZC were OK with the idea last summer. It just didn't eventuate because of other series that were locked in, and the day/night experiment. South Africa are a different story and are only willing to do it if Aus goes there for Boxing Day in return.

Well that's never gonna happen so let's just forget that idea

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, it isn't. So we aren't likely to see SA play those two games any time soon. NZ, possibly.
Which would be good. NZ I guess have suffered in this regard because they have been usually the 'lesser' half of a summer (before SA in 1993, 1997, 2001, 2008, before Pak in 2004, before India in 2011), but having WI in 2015 instead of them was pretty grating considering the respective strength of the teams.

Would ODIs against Bangladesh on Boxing Day (in Christchurch, 18,00 capacity) and NYE (in Nelson, 6,000 capacity) this year really have been big money spinners? Surely they'd be able to negotiate just as much if not more shared revenue from a Boxing Day Test at the MCG.

Your ignoring the importance of having a presence in your own market in the prime time of the summer holidays. How would you feel if Collingwood were to whore themselves out to play four additional "home" games at interstate venues for a couple of million a year? Just because they can make money out of it, in nearly every instance it isn't worth selling your soul.

Having gone and said that, I can see the concept of the bilateral cross-Tasman series being explored further after the T20's they're trialing February 2018 which may lead to it's possibility. Compromise would need to be made ie. one summer one gets Boxing Day and the other gets the New Year test (which might be difficult due to long term contracts with venues?) and flip it around next time, but given the short distance between the east coast of Australia and NZ I think it's feasible whereas unlikely for the same principle to be applied with the Proteas.

Very short sighted given at times Kiwis have a very ordinary side. There been plenty of times avoiding playing them in Tests as just not good enough to be interesting has been a good thing. Just because they had a half decent team recently is not some reason to try to lock in some arrangement of taking turns playing Boxing Day Tests against each other as hosts. Teams weaknesses and strengths rise and fall. Cannot really commit to anything apart from our 4 years cycles with England, Something that locked in smaller cycles for Test cricket is not going to always be a good thing.

Very short sighted given at times Kiwis have a very ordinary side. There been plenty of times avoiding playing them in Tests as just not good enough to be interesting has been a good thing. Just because they had a half decent team recently is not some reason to try to lock in some arrangement of taking turns playing Boxing Day Tests against each other as hosts. Teams weaknesses and strengths rise and fall. Cannot really commit to anything apart from our 4 years cycles with England, Something that locked in smaller cycles for Test cricket is not going to always be a good thing.

Yep, after it's all said and done, NZ are still "just" the 6th ranked Test side, who are currently being given a tough time at home against #9 ranked Bangladesh.

NZ are #4 in ODIs and #1 in T20Is, but that's probably only justification for more limited overs matches against them.

New Zealand on Boxing Day may not be the drawcard people think it would. The sport is less popular there than it is here. Expats in Melbourne won't necessarily flock to see it.

New Zealand on Boxing Day may not be the drawcard people think it would. The sport is less popular there than it is here. Expats in Melbourne won't necessarily flock to see it.

I think the drawcard aspect (as well as the interest from CA) would be the likelyhood of a more competitive Test, rather than one where the opposition takes 6/730, gets bowled out twice for under 300 in reply, and is over before stumps on day 4 like we got with the West Indies last year.

Back